James Franklin signs new deal at Penn State

WFE12

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

How?

Between Tucker and Franklin they got zero nattys and zero appearances in the playoffs and they’re getting Nick Saban money?!?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

27 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Between Tucker and Franklin they got zero nattys and zero appearances in the playoffs and they’re getting Nick Saban money?!?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

There’s a factor here that I just found out about… Jimmy Sexton

20 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

There’s a factor here that I just found out about… Jimmy Sexton

Oh my God... lol, they (PSU and Mich St.) have been flamboozled by quiet possibly the best agent out there.  How many times did he stick it to Auburn?  Tuberville, Malzahn etc.  Btw, he's also Jimbo Fisher's agent.  All got ridiculous money.

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 1

Penn State coach James Franklin has signed a 10-year, $75 million guaranteed extension to stay with the Nittany Lions long term through the 2031 season, the program announced Tuesday. Franklin has led Penn State to a 67-32 record in eight seasons, including a 2016 Big Ten championship, just the second outright Big Ten title for the team since the Nittany Lions joined the league in 1993. 

Screenshot 2021-11-23 201954.jpg

Would we consider this to be sustained success at Auburn?  His record isn't bad by any means, other than last year.  This year is a little under performing.

2016-19 was pretty great, admittedly. These contracts are getting way out of hand though, and I feel like it's a bubble that's waiting to somehow burst eventually.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

Rumor is that USC was willing to offer more, which placed PSU in the position of either competing with LSU, Florida etc for a head coach or locking him down.  It seems really risky though.

The fact that he has a top 5 recruiting class coming in also helped his bargaining position.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

2016-19 was pretty great, admittedly. These contracts are getting way out of hand though, and I feel like it's a bubble that's waiting to somehow burst eventually.

With Auburn only once having 10 win seasons back to back, I'd say he would be considered quite a success at Auburn. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Yeah, like the one Auburn gave to Malzahn

• Like 2

That’s a really long extension regardless of success IMO. As for that success I mean he’s had some really good years and some average years. To me this speaks more of the “we can’t get anyone better so let’s lock him up” thought more than anything. Nothing wrong with that if you think that is the case. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Penn State coach James Franklin has signed a 10-year, $75 million guaranteed extension to stay with the Nittany Lions long term through the 2031 season, the program announced Tuesday. Franklin has led Penn State to a 67-32 record in eight seasons, including a 2016 Big Ten championship, just the second outright Big Ten title for the team since the Nittany Lions joined the league in 1993. 

Screenshot 2021-11-23 201954.jpg

Would we consider this to be sustained success at Auburn?  His record isn't bad by any means, other than last year.  This year is a little under performing.

I think he's done a good job of making Penn State respectable again and the record looks good.  I'de reward him with an extension and raise but it's the 10 year part that I wouldn't give him.  4or 5 years?  Cool, but not 10.  It's just human nature to relax and turn the intensity down when you and your family are financially secure regardless of product on the field.  It's just human nature.

I think it's stupid but hey it's not us this time so 🤣 

Also maybe y'all know more then me but why does everyone think he is a great coach? He is Gus 2.0 got a losing record to rivals at Penn State and doesn't look good when the spotlight is on the team. He lost to a lousy Illnois team in freaking 9OT. That's just this year. Some people wanted him here last year I didnt understand this and he is still being brought up for other jobs like he has done something at Penn State it doesn't make sense. Don't bring up Vandy either because yeah he did great there but it hasn't translated to Penn State. Atleast IMO.

Edited by autiger88

I would put this in the category of totally crazy.   Guaranteed money with no way out is irresponsible from a athletic department point of view.   What if he or an assistant gets the program in trouble?   

I’ve thought for a long time that salary should be incentive driven.   Have a base salary of say, 1 million, and give bonuses for reaching certain goals.   That’s just me.  

• Like 1

Everyone gasped when A&M gave Jimbo a 10yr deal, now Tucker has one on the table and Franklin has a signed deal. Is this going to be the new expectation for a University to show their coach they love him?

I don't know why anyone is shocked at length or amount. Plus it's not like anyone honors the contract anyway. It'll be restructured or bought out way before it's expiration.

These contracts, IMHO, are a good as a recruits commitment. It's true today and that's about it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CR said:

Everyone gasped when A&M gave Jimbo a 10yr deal, now Tucker has one on the table and Franklin has a signed deal. Is this going to be the new expectation for a University to show their coach they love him?

Sexton is trying to retire early it seems.

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

I think it's stupid but hey it's not us this time so 🤣 

Also maybe y'all know more then me but why does everyone think he is a great coach? He is Gus 2.0 got a losing record to rivals at Penn State and doesn't look good when the spotlight is on the team. He lost to a lousy Illnois team in freaking 9OT. That's just this year. Some people wanted him here last year I didnt understand this and he is still being brought up for other jobs like he has done something at Penn State it doesn't make sense. Don't bring up Vandy either because yeah he did great there but it hasn't translated to Penn State. Atleast IMO.

My thoughts exactly.  Gus was 68-35 against much more difficult opponents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I would put this in the category of totally crazy.   Guaranteed money with no way out is irresponsible from a athletic department point of view.   What if he or an assistant gets the program in trouble?   

I’ve thought for a long time that salary should be incentive driven.   Have a base salary of say, 1 million, and give bonuses for reaching certain goals.   That’s just me.  

THANK YOU Louder for the ones in the back. Annual base salary of $1 million. Then bonus structure based off record, divisional and conference champs, playoff appearances, bowl appearances and a making and winning a NC.

B1G has a higher tolerance with their coaches vs. SEC. People talk about the big time money dished out by the B1G; however, I went to an Ohio State game this year and I was surprised by the state of disrepair Ohio Stadium was in. I initially assumed it was their seasonal weather or the budget deficit from 2020. I mentioned this to the group I was with and they were in agreement that many of the B1G members generate a lot of revenue; however, B1G members are required to field so many non-revenue generating teams that funds diminish quickly and as a result facilities suffer. 

I am not really surprised by college football coaching contracts anymore. 2020 financial hit proved that college athletic programs are not financially sustainable. It's an addiction we all enable. Like what was stated above, contracts are a formality that typically end up with haggling coach and university lawyers.

Franklin put in a proposal last year for an upgrade to their outdated indoor football facilities and received board approval but it was a fight and a drop in the bucket to what Auburn and many SEC schools have/are spending.