Auburn fired Gus Malzahn too quickly

AU-24

4 hours ago, DAG said:

You are full of it man. MAR is better than every single player on USF squad.

MAR is UCF's 3rd string RB. He made one or two nice plays. He got a chance since RB1 was injured. The guy who did all the damage was Johnny Richardson, #25. MA Richards, former AU third-stringer and current UCF 3rd stringer, wears #6.

4 hours ago, metafour said:

He did NOT inherit slop either; especially an offense that was coached by Heupel for a few years.

He inherited a team that was in steady decline under Heupel and won only 6 games last year.

Heupel's record at UCF: After inheriting a 13-0 team, he went 12-1, 10-3, 6-4. The people hiring at Tennessee must be Chinese who read backwards. Heupel took a program that was at it's peak and steadily ran it down.

Gus improved Heuple's 6-4 to 8-4 in spite of losing his all-conference QB early in the season and his top RB later on.

It probably was time for a change at Auburn but this constant Gus bashing is low-life to say the least. You bashers can't even get facts straight because you're in such a hurry to gripe about Gus even after he's gone from here.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I think we just hired the wrong guy. There was no joy in Auburn football anymore. Him and Bo were, and I think both are great guys, but they were both left a pretty bad taste towards the end of last season…I think if you bring BOTH of them back, you’re asking for a disaster

Like if this exact same season played out but, it’s Gus instead…whew. I think people are massively disappointed and directionless right now. They would’ve been PISSED in that instance 

However, I will say firing someone during the COVID carousel required you have a real plan in place, and we clearly didn’t have one that was organized on every level. More calamities are going to occur until that’s resolved 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

However, I will say firing someone during the COVID carousel required you have a real plan in place, and we clearly didn’t have one that was organized on every level. More calamities are going to occur until that’s resolved 

Amen.   In order for stability to occur, the whole auburn family needs to get together 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We did, then the pac-12 championship was backed into.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A 6th place SEC WEST finish AND the infamous "solid season" comment, is what got Gus fired. No way you bring him back after that! He wasn't fired too quickly, we just went with the wrong hire.

3 minutes ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

A 6th place SEC WEST finish AND the infamous "solid season" comment, is what got Gus fired. No way you bring him back after that! He wasn't fired too quickly, we just went with the wrong hire.

6th place in the west ?

13 minutes ago, e808 said:

6th place in the west ?

Everything is always twice as bad when retold. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

Should have left out WEST but my point is 'solid'

Should have left that alone altogether. Auburn's actual finish, 3rd place in the West, isn't something that adds credence to a Gus bashing.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Amen.   In order for stability to occur, the whole auburn family needs to get together 

I think we were very much together behind Harsin, then MSU happened and the wheels started coming off.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Should have left that alone altogether. Auburn's actual finish, 3rd place in the West, isn't something that adds credence to a Gus bashing.

I think we were very much together behind Harsin, then MSU happened and the wheels started coming off.

THis.

Nobody is saying they don't like Gus. I think we wanted him succeed more at Auburn, but his offenses were no more good enough to win the important games.

He's going to do well at UCF and he will do the same things he always did, and if you watch their games, we all know it well.

But it's not good enough if we want Auburn to play with the bigger boys now consistently.

And yes, as you said, the wheels have fallen off, and its gnawing at us, after a pretty good 6-2 start, and a big lead at half time against MSU.

But we just have to weather this storm for now, and see how it plays out with Harsin. We're stuck with it, unless he bolts.

I always want to hope for improvement, and I hope its that situation where it has to get worse before it get's better.

No other way to look at it for now...

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 2

10 pages in on a Gus Malzahn thread?  Really?  During Iron Bowl week?  It appears the  long lasting impact of 2 years of Covid is lower IQ's.

And Alas, I have contributed....

Edited by japantiger

36 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Personally, I don't think Malzahn should have been fired. 

Corgis aren’t known for their football acumen so we will give you a pass on this. No treats or belly rubs for awhile though

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

We did, then the pac-12 championship was backed into.

I didn't ever get a consensus on the Cristobal process. Some fellas said he was guaranteed and then that happened, some said he just played us for the okey doke to get another extension. I'd HOPE that was the #1 man on their board either way though. 

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn't ever get a consensus on the Cristobal process. Some fellas said he was guaranteed and then that happened, some said he just played us for the okey doke to get another extension. I'd HOPE that was the #1 man on their board either way though. 

There was an "agreement" in place for just about 2 years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

Corgis aren’t known for their football acumen so we will give you a pass on this. No treats or belly rubs for awhile though

Haha All good, besides that's the least of my concerns as we enter out Tennessee death spiral.. Hopefully my acumen is off on that as well.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

There was an "agreement" in place for just about 2 years.

What caused it to not become official, IYO?

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Pac-12 championship

So just talking it out...did we not want to wait or did he decide he'd rather stay since he got to that game. The former seems dumb on our behalf, the later is confusing considering his name being mentioned for a bunch of other jobs (unless he thought staying would get him a better job)

Not arguing the events, just trying to understand everyone's thought process