Auburn fired Gus Malzahn too quickly

AU-24

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well that’s telling

Not really. If Florida is an option or Ole miss then I think this will increasingly be the norm for programs that are not in major conferences. I'm really not even trying to defend gus here I just think this is less about him being run off and more about an opportunity to shine on a bigger stage.

• Like 1

This was the type of game Gus would win. Man when yeah think ya got it bad and the grass is greener. Hopefully the long term outlook is better… Imo after watching the season unfold Gus would have had a great chance of getting us in the dang playoff this year. This was the type year Auburn succeeds, when the SEC as a whole is down. Instead we hit rock bottom.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Not really. If Florida is an option or Ole miss then I think this will increasingly be the norm for programs that are not in major conferences. I'm really not even trying to defend gus here I just think this is less about him being run off and more about an opportunity to shine on a bigger stage.

I don’t think he’s being run off. Never said that.

8 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

100 percent. I didn't feel like his dance w Saban was over yet and plus I thought he hired a solid staff year after year with the primary exception of Chad Morris.. Lot's of auburn guys and had us recruiting well enough to allow us to pop once every three years or so and that to me is very good in the sec west. Is what it is tho.. It was the best of times it was the worst of times at auburn during his tenure. I wish Harsin the best. 

Agree. Imo Gus’s and Auburns downfall rests in the lack of oline recruiting for 7 years. If he had Jeff Grimes recruiting and coaching linemen for those years he’d have been a success. I do feel he finally had a complete staff when he was let go. A staff that was assembled and had only one year coaching together and that was the COVID year. Needed another year atleast.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Gus Malzahn (2013-present)

• Overall record: 62-31 (.667)

So, this is the guy we supposedly big-time missed on?

Mario Cristobal (2007 to present)

Overall record 62-59 (.521)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Cristobal

I think Harsin was the better gamble.

Edited by Mikey

Just now, Mikey said:

So, this is the guy we supposedly big-time missed on?

Mario Cristobal (2007 to present)

Overall record 62-59 (.521)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Cristobal

Don't know why you targeted me with this. I never advocated for Cristobal. 

No one asked me my opinion on who to hire. Actually, the guy I wanted to hire was never mentioned by anybody that I recall. 

Kyle Whittingham would have been my first call if I was AD, but that's just me.

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Don't know why you targeted me with this. I never advocated for Cristobal. 

I wouldn't say you were targeted. You were quoted because you posted Gus's record. I posted Cristobal's for comparison since several on here were bemoaning the alleged missed hiring of a coach whose record barely breaks .500.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I wouldn't say you were targeted. You were quoted because you posted Gus's record. I posted Cristobal's for comparison since several on here were bemoaning the alleged missed hiring of a coach whose record barely breaks .500.

Well as I said, I've never been an advocate for Cristobal. I posted Malzahn's record because it is mediocre at best. Truth is, Auburn didn't replace Malzahn because somebody in the administration didn't like him. They replaced him because he wasn't getting the job done. Plain, and simple.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Well as I said, I've never been an advocate for Cristobal. I posted Malzahn's record because it is mediocre at best. Truth is, Auburn didn't replace Malzahn because somebody in the administration didn't like him. They replaced him because he wasn't getting the job done. Plain, and simple.

Agreed. Again, my response was for those who are bemoaning some pie in the sky lost opportunity when Cristobal didn't come here. Was hiring a guy whose record is significantly worse than Malzahn's (Cristobal) any sort of solution? I think not, no matter who had him picked as their chosen one.