Auburn fired Gus Malzahn too quickly

AU-24

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Personally, I don't think Malzahn should have been fired. 

You for real?

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

10 pages in on a Gus Malzahn thread?  Really?  During Iron Bowl week?  It appears the  long lasting impact of 2 years of Covid is lower IQ's.

And Alas, I have contributed....

I think my IQ was lowered during the austudnt23 thread and hasn't recovered, it's why I am here I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

You for real?

100 percent. I didn't feel like his dance w Saban was over yet and plus I thought he hired a solid staff year after year with the primary exception of Chad Morris.. Lot's of auburn guys and had us recruiting well enough to allow us to pop once every three years or so and that to me is very good in the sec west. Is what it is tho.. It was the best of times it was the worst of times at auburn during his tenure. I wish Harsin the best. 

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There was an "agreement" in place for just about 2 years.

Ugh, any other poster I wouldn't put much creedence to this statement but coming from you this is like a steel dagger.  Such an Auburn thing to do, screw that up at the last minute.

Honestly, imo, I don't understand why they would even think forcing a HC to back out of a championship game is the right call.  It's pretty inconsiderate/unreasonable and if the HC agrees a) that leaves a bad taste in his mouth right at the start of his tenure AND b) a HC that would agree to that is a little sleazy if you ask me.  If I am Cristobol and Smart in those situations, I do the same thing.  It's like a wealthy person that thinks they can buy everything. 

5 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

100 percent. I didn't feel like his dance w Saban was over yet and plus I thought he hired a solid staff year after year with the primary exception of Chad Morris.. Lot's of auburn guys and had us recruiting well enough to allow us to pop once every three years or so and that to me is very good in the sec west. Is what it is tho.. It was the best of times it was the worst of times at auburn during his tenure. I wish Harsin the best. 

Surely ye jest:

Gus Malzahn (2013-present)

• Overall record: 62-31 (.667)

• SEC record: 33-23 (.583)

• Record vs. rivals: 8-17 (.320)

20 minutes ago, Didba said:

Ugh, any other poster I wouldn't put much creedence to this statement but coming from you this is like a steel dagger.  Such an Auburn thing to do, screw that up at the last minute.

Honestly, imo, I don't understand why they would even think forcing a HC to back out of a championship game is the right call.  It's pretty inconsiderate/unreasonable and if the HC agrees a) that leaves a bad taste in his mouth right at the start of his tenure AND b) a HC that would agree to that is a little sleazy if you ask me.  If I am Cristobol and Smart in those situations, I do the same thing.  It's like a wealthy person that thinks they can buy everything. 

I certainly agree if they are HC, might be different if Coordinator or position coach. Depends on those circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I certainly agree if they are HC, might be different if Coordinator or position coach. Depends on those circumstances. 

Smart was DC at Bama but we were trying to force him to skip the NC game according to BigBird.  Which IMO for a DC/OC it qualifies as a the same situation for a HC in a conference championship game imo.  Now a DC or OC before a conference championship game, I don't see as big of an issue.

34 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

The issue I would take with this is that he HAD to hire different coordinators year after year.   Unlike Saban who's coordinators keep getting hired away for better jobs; his were being fired due to poor performance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Didba said:

Smart was DC at Bama but we were trying to force him to skip the NC game according to BigBird.  Which IMO for a DC/OC it qualifies as a the same situation for a HC in a conference championship game imo.  Now a DC or OC before a conference championship game, I don't see as big of an issue.

Agree.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Should have left that alone altogether. Auburn's actual finish, 3rd place in the West, isn't something that adds credence to a Gus bashing.

I think we were very much together behind Harsin, then MSU happened and the wheels started coming off.

If that makes you feel better about yourself👌

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

was the best of times it was the worst of times at auburn during his tenure.

Well I agree with this. However it was time for him to go. Our program and talent were on a decline the last few years. 

Will Harsin get it done? Not so sure. We will find out on signing day. 

40 minutes ago, Didba said:

Is this really what @bigbirdwas alluding too??

If so it's beyond stupid. Just wait 6 days. Are we really that incompetent?

Gus had eight years. He blew a Natty in his first year. Chiz and Orgeron both won a Natty and were fired two years later. However, it remains to be seen if Harsin was the right hire.

6 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Surely ye jest:

Gus Malzahn (2013-present)

• Overall record: 62-31 (.667)

• SEC record: 33-23 (.583)

• Record vs. rivals: 8-17 (.320)

No, he is serious. 

2 minutes ago, AubFanCT said:

Is this thread a joke or serious? So your idea of success is 4 or 5 losses every year?

Have you seen what the OP posts? It’s dead serious, albeit admittedly f****d up

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

The player you’re referring to has been extremely overhyped IMO

We may get a chance to test that theory next year in the DSOR.

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We may get a chance to test that theory next year in the DSOR.

Maybe. I’m not saying he’s not good but he’s done less to get the amount of praise he’s gotten than anyone I’ve ever seen at that position.