Auburn fired Gus Malzahn too quickly

AU-24

Auburn shouldn’t give up 25 point leads. They shouldn’t be calling ridiculous plays in high-pressure situations (fourth down fade vs Penn State, flea-flicker vs Texas A&M, go routes into double-coverage on fourth down).

They should be making their 33-yard field goals. They should be running the ball with one of the best running backs in the country, especially when it comes to games where the offense is operating with its backup quarterback… on the road… at night.

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/2021/11/22/auburn-football-fired-gus-malzahn-too-quickly/

• Haha 5
  • Facepalm 6
  • Dislike 14

You know Gus would be about to pull off a miracle win against Saban again at home to keep safe another year.  Hahaha.  Probably would still be looking for an Olinemen to recruit.  Defense would be carrying the team as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Way too long imo. We and Gus were like LSU and Les Miles. Gus and Miles were masters of doing just enough to not get fired. Sometimes a one year implosion like a Chizik or Dan Mullen is actually better for a programs long term outlook because it allows the new coach to right ship before years of mediocrity, poor recruiting (several OL classes for us), and soft culture sets in. LSU and Miles were in that cycle for a few years, and we were in it with Gus. Fortunately for them, they struck gold with Burrow and Brady

• Like 2

I dunno about that but I do think it’s funny the USC game is basically what closed his coffin and this USC game is what brought some more ardent Harsin supporters into a state of despair. Maybe we shouldn’t play USC unless a championship season is on the line

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Butthead said:

When his agent threatened that Gus would leave for Arkansas auburn should have said “thanks for all you have done.”

Yep. Couldn’t agree more. 

I think more than one thing can be true.  Gus would have gotten us to a better record than the one we will have at year's end.  That said, we did need some fresh air in the building.  Harsin just seems like a pretender in a lot of ways.  He talks a good game, but is there real substance behind the words?  It is hard to tell at this point.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

More like should never have hired … we could have had Kirby … water under the bridge but if we’re going to play that game. 

Or Jimbo! I mean Kirby or Jimbo compared to Harsin?? LOL

The Gus hire was pre-rule change.

Nah, was time for him and Auburn to part ways. A change was needed.

That being said, for just shooting some fun... Gus probably would have beat A&M(nice track record against them, especially at their place. would have been a payton barber type game with tank I imagine), and won Miss. St. and USCe games. However, he would have lost the LSU game. So that monkey would still be on our shoulders. That means we'd be sitting at 8-3 in an odd year at home against Bama with the west on the line. You know what that means lol. Again, just having fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, clwn said:

Nah, was time for him and Auburn to part ways. A change was needed.

That being said, for just shooting some fun... Gus probably would have beat A&M(nice track record against them, especially at their place. would have been a payton barber type game with tank I imagine), and won Miss. St. and USCe games. However, he would have lost the LSU game. So that monkey would still be on our shoulders. That means we'd be sitting at 8-3 in an odd year at home against Bama with the west on the line. You know what that means lol. Again, just having fun.

Now look at this games as if Gus and co were still here coaching, not with the team CBH coached. 

Everyone clamored about the improvement that they had seen, both  physically and schematically, through the first half of the season. None of these improvements would've taken place under Gus.  I truly think we would've been 0 for the SEC.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Gus would have gotten us to a better record than the one we will have at year's end

Who would Gus have beaten that we lost too?

Who would Gus have lost to that we won against? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, RunInRed said:

More like should never have hired … we could have had Kirby … water under the bridge but if we’re going to play that game. 

The Smart hire would have been the smart hire, and mentioned it in an old thread.  But I was told Kirby was never coming to Auburn. :dunno:

16 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

The Smart hire would have been the smart hire, and mentioned it in an old thread.  But I was told Kirby was never coming to Auburn. :dunno:

He wanted the job. We told him he couldn't coach in the championship game. He's at UGA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There’s nothing special about Kirby as a coach. His recruiting is off the charts. As you would expect with how he does it. But AU could never get away with what UAT and UGA get away with. The NCAA would obliterate us. 

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

If Gus were our HC this year, we would have a similar record. If we must have 5 losses, I can stomach it a little better with an SEC rookie HC than one who’s had years to figure it out and still hasn’t. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I think more than one thing can be true.  Gus would have gotten us to a better record than the one we will have at year's end.  That said, we did need some fresh air in the building.  Harsin just seems like a pretender in a lot of ways.  He talks a good game, but is there real substance behind the words?  It is hard to tell at this point.

I can’t disagree on the Harsin part at this point as I’m sensing some of the same. Time will tell over the next two years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeganInbama said:

Agreed  He should have gotten this year

Believe we would have a much better record right now if he was still the coach

PSU, LSU, UGA, Ole Miss, LSU, and Bama would all be losses with Gus. We are no worse off and long-term will be ahead even if Harsin fails. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

There’s nothing special about Kirby as a coach. His recruiting is off the charts. As you would expect with how he does it. But AU could never get away with what UAT and UGA get away with. The NCAA would obliterate us. 

Actually Kirby smart is one of the best defensive minds in the game. To argue otherwise just seems bias. He also is a great recruiter. He is a shark. So yes , this is what makes him special and it’s not many special coaches out there. 

• Like 3

We can only speculate about this years team under Gus. I feel relatively sure he would not have made the boneheaded play calls Harsin has. Doubt there would have been a blown 25 point lead against Miss State….doubt there would have been a 25 point lead in the first place.😂 For some reason I’m humming the Jerry Jeff Walker song, “Pissn In The Wind”……