Boise fans (Harsin)

AUreo

14 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I'd say there's some truth to what they've said, but an ex will always crap on their old mate. 

Here's to hoping Harsin works out. I'm concerned after the last month. 

They will, but the new wife is only a discovery away from being the the same shoes as the ex.

What concerns me is the lack of fire and passion on the sidelines. He is flat and so is the team to a large degree this season. It also helps in recruiting if a coach can be passionate about his program and convey that excitement to a recruit.

Being personable is just not enough. 

• Like 1

Time before fans wanted new Auburn head coach fired

Dye 9-10 years?  Fired/resigned year 11
Bowden 4-5 years? Fired/resigned year 6

Tubs year 4 fired year 9

Chiz year 4 fired year 4

Gus year 3 fired year 8

Hars game 10 actually fired……

Gus and Tubs were particularly painful and drawn out. 
I was a kid for Dye and most of Bowden so I’m not sure how people felt about that time period till it was done.

Edit to add the point of this is I hope the Auburn fan base isn’t about to drag another coach through the mud for the next 5-10 years.  Its a bad look and it needs to end.

Edited by Win4AU

3 hours ago, The Freak said:

They didn't help last year.

You are correct about that. It’s just my opinion but I think Bo was playing much better and would give us another (better) run option than we had with TJ. I also would count much more on our normal kicker than the first game a walk on is playing.

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Dye and Tuberville’s first years at AU were 5 win seasons. Saban’s first year at Bama he brought 10 years of Power 5 experience, 5 years in the SEC, a National Championship, and 2 years of NFL HC experience. He started 6-2, then lost his last four games. (Sound familiar?) Pete Carroll’s first year at USC he was 6-6. Dabo’s second year at Clemson he was 5-7. Go read his Wiki page and note the comments about the calls for his firing. Kiffin was 6-6 his first year at UT and 5-5 his first year at Ole Miss. No AU fan should be happy about the last few weeks, but history shows some patience and grace usually pays off with new coaches off to slow starts. 

I dont have the memory for what hand cpd was Dealt talent-wise but Tubs got those 5 wins playing a receiver at rb iirc.. At no point ever in the history of Auburn football while I’ve been alive do I remember a team with less talent than xCTT’s  first squad. Harsin is not dealing with 1993 or even 2012-level talent, but the cupboard is not totally bare either.  

4 hours ago, woodford said:

Is that too much to ask for? Last 3 weeks have been a nightmare

No. And Yes. 

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I get it. Kiffin is a pretty current example though. I could be wrong but he was 5-5 last year, didn't have a top 12 class last year and we beat them head to head but we have people advocating firing Harsin for him and his recruiting class is ranked below us. Think of the original topic of this thread. We are disgusted with Harsin at 6-5. But Boise fans disliked him at 10 and 11 wins a year. Modern day sports fans cant be satisfied. 

And our average quality rating per recruit is 7th in the SEC. BC and Rutgers and lot of other schools are ahead of us because they have almost twice the amount of commitments. Our rankings will look much better after signing day. Theirs will not. 

Being 7th in the SEC in rating per recruit will get a guy fired from Auburn pretty quick. Hope that improves. 

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

This proves more about the lunacy of of fans than it speaks to CBH. He won 10-11 games a year at Boise and they were still unhappy with him. 

They were upset because of what we see now. The same reason we were upset with Gus. Bad decision making lead to losses . Gus was 8 and should have been 10 in most cases Harsin 6 and should have been 8. Notice the correlation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Tubs year 4 fired year 9

Chiz year 4 fired year 4

Gus year 3 fired year 8

I was a kid for Dye and most of Bowden so I’m not sure how people felt about that time period till it was done.

Edit to add the point of this is I hope the Auburn fan base isn’t about to drag another coach through the mud for the next 5-10 years.  Its a bad look and it needs to end.

Tubs it was year 5. Then after that most were pretty happy with him until well year 10.

48 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Being 7th in the SEC in rating per recruit will get a guy fired from Auburn pretty quick. Hope that improves. 

Agreed. That’s real close to where we’ve fallen out for several years now. Typically behind UAT, UGA, LSU, UF, and TAMU. Need better players for sure. 

53 minutes ago, e808 said:

They were upset because of what we see now. The same reason we were upset with Gus. Bad decision making lead to losses . Gus was 8 and should have been 10 in most cases Harsin 6 and should have been 8. Notice the correlation.

Zero correlation between a fan base restless when their coach wins 6 games (rational)versus being restless when they’re averaging 10 or 11 wins over an extended time(irrational). if CBH is getting 6 or 8 wins for us the next 2 years, I’ll join the ‘fire the coach’ crowd. If he’s churning double digit win seasons and conference titles for us like he did Boise I’ll be quiet happy about things, as most BSU fans were or should’ve been  

Edited by Gowebb11

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Zero correlation between a fan base restless when their coach wins 6 games versus being restless when they’re averaging 10 or 11 wins over an extended time. if CBH is getting 6 or 8 wins for us the next 2 years, I’ll join the ‘fire the coach’ crowd. If he’s churning double digit win seasons and conference titles for us like he did Boise I’ll be quiet happy about things, as most BSU fans were.  

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Zero correlation between a fan base restless when their coach wins 6 games versus being restless when they’re averaging 10 or 11 wins over an extended time. if CBH is getting 6 or 8 wins for us the next 2 years, I’ll join the ‘fire the coach’ crowd. If he’s churning double digit win seasons and conference titles for us like he did Boise I’ll be quiet happy about things, as most BSU fans were.  

The correlation is the could have done better if not for bad decision making. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, e808 said:

The correlation is the could have done better if not for bad decision making. 

Agreed in that context. Much to improve upon for him and our team. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Kiffin has a top 10 team and a Heisman contender QB, yet is ranked below us in recruiting right now and yet some are calling for him to be our next coach. 

I think several 4-star recruits decommitted last week. Something going on in Oxford.

7 hours ago, AU9377 said:

They will, but the new wife is only a discovery away from being the the same shoes as the ex.

Kiffin want be at Ole Miss next year thank god it want be Auburn were he goes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

Tubs it was year 5. Then after that most were pretty happy with him until well year 10.

It was year 5.  I did some bad math.  He was fine 04-05 but people wanted his head by 2006 again.

12 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

I've posted it multiple times, but CBH faced a significantly tougher SOS than his immediate predecessor did, and MUCH stronger SOS than Peterson. 

EDIT: Here's my post from January where I went back and compiled SOS. I had Peterson confused with Dan Hawkins, who's the guy that brought the program to national relevance. FYI, Hawkins faced something like a -4 SOS. 

..... Peterson faced a SOS of -3.3 on average (0.0 is average SOS for all of CFB, Gus faced a +6.06!) whereas Harsin faced a -1.48 SOS AND was short-handed his first three years due to probation (9 total schollies lost). Peterson went 8-5 his last year, Harsin turned around and went 12-2 the next year. Harsin gets an A- from me, but I'm not sure I saw an A+ coach on the market. 

Yet, to be honest, that has nothing to do with the past two games and being so far behind recruiting.

22 hours ago, AUght2win said:

................to this scenario being that Harsin is a stud, but so is his replacement at BSU. 

Still, for Auburn fans I think we should keep an eye on a Harsin-less Boise to help evaluate how good the guy really is. 

What does "Harsin is a stud" even mean?

21 hours ago, AcUmen said:

There's too many cooks in the kitchen.  Bobo is a veteran OC, older than Harsin, and a former HC.  Mason is older than Harsin and a former HC.  Schmedding and Watts are both former west-coast DC's.  All of those guys having input probably just makes things confusing.  Not to mention Harsin has added his own stuff in the offense, so he isn't letting Bobo run it his way (at least not 100%).

I prefer a HC to bring in HIS guys and his system.  If that means no name coordinators, so be it.  I don't think this "chemistry experiment" type of stuff works.  If they have a big name but don't see eye to eye with the HC, what's the point?

All that said, it may not have been Harsin's choice.  There's a lot of smoke that the PTB told Harsin who he was going to hire at the coordinator positions (which is why people like Napier and Venables said "hell no.")  Kirby also rejected us in 2013 for the same reason.

Kirby did not reject Auburn.  Kirby was the other finalist for the position and they offered the position to Gus first. He wanted the job badly.  If not, he would have never flown to Nashville with an hour long presentation to give to the entire search committee.  They were meeting in Nashville at the home of Edwin Crawford, Chairman of the Board of Directors of CVS, Auburn Alum & search committee chair person (who also happens to be worth a couple hundred million.)  Auburn had informed him that if he was offered and accepted the job, that he would have to step down at bama immediately.

6 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Tubs year 4 fired year 9

Chiz year 4 fired year 4

Gus year 3 fired year 8

This standard of coaching is not tolerable. If it persists, I'd say 2-3 years.

(And I mean coaching, not mere losses.)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Gosh , you'd think they were describing  Gus.  LOL

Gus would have won 8+ this season. With the SEC, overall, down this year we had a real chance at being a top 4 or 5 SEC Team. Other than Georgia and Bama I think Gus would have won most of the rest. I get making a change to try to be a consistent top sec team but I don’t believe BH gets us to that level. We would have needed a game changer like an Urban, a top tier recruiter.