Boise fans (Harsin)

AUreo

Some Auburn and Boise fans currently discussing Harsin on the Boise board.
Some of the more interesting comments:

Boise fans:

“Harsin coached teams, lacked heart,
Fire and discipline. This raised its ugly head several times during every season. I actually think he has an intelligent side for the X’s and O’s of football. I think he is set in his ways and he will not change. I also think he is a micromanager and that he had his favorite players that he chose and the team as a whole did not play inspired football for him”

How many times did we see Harsin teams jump out to big leads and look good, only to have to hold on for dear life, like the players forgot how to play the game to win? Different venue, same Harsin teams. Get a lead, look good, squander said lead, lose to a team you shouldn't. Then there was the obligatory "WTF was that" games, usually two per year...It was time to move on...”

Harsin's team will come out ready to play, showing everybody they have the talent to compete with anyone. Opposition makes an adjustment or two and then nothing. This is Bryan Harsin football. Week after week Wash / Rinse / Repeat.”

”Harsin won a lot of games here but struggled when facing a defense with a pulse. That on top of 1-2 games/loses made absolutely no sense.”

“Hint: Coach Harsin is a most stubborn individual. You criticize his coaches on your board and he will keep them just to spite you.”

“Thanks for the kind words! Back when you guys hired him, I remember telling another Auburn fan who came here that Harsin was very similar to Gus in terms of how frustrating his teams could be. It feels like every year, you can pencil in a couple losses that you have no business losing on paper.”

You can take a screenshot of this season for Auburn and save it because it will be the exact same every year until he leaves”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds about spot on what has unfolded and continues. As I've said several times, Bobo and Mason have faults as do everyone, but they are going to be the scapegoats. It starts at the top. You can tell the offense is a hybrid mix, but mostly Harsin's Bosie style. With the 3 RBs we have, we should be under center more and running to then setup the play action pass. That's what usually works really well it seems, then we go back to slinging it from the shotgun like a Mountain West team and going nowhere. Now the defense is tired and can't get off the field.

Edited by clwn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AUreo said:

Some Auburn and Boise fans currently discussing Harsin on the Boise board.
Some of the more interesting comments:

Boise fans:

“Harsin coached teams, lacked heart,
Fire and discipline. This raised its ugly head several times during every season. I actually think he has an intelligent side for the X’s and O’s of football. I think he is set in his ways and he will not change. I also think he is a micromanager and that he had his favorite players that he chose and the team as a whole did not play inspired football for him”

How many times did we see Harsin teams jump out to big leads and look good, only to have to hold on for dear life, like the players forgot how to play the game to win? Different venue, same Harsin teams. Get a lead, look good, squander said lead, lose to a team you shouldn't. Then there was the obligatory "WTF was that" games, usually two per year...It was time to move on...”

Harsin's team will come out ready to play, showing everybody they have the talent to compete with anyone. Opposition makes an adjustment or two and then nothing. This is Bryan Harsin football. Week after week Wash / Rinse / Repeat.”

”Harsin won a lot of games here but struggled when facing a defense with a pulse. That on top of 1-2 games/loses made absolutely no sense.”

“Hint: Coach Harsin is a most stubborn individual. You criticize his coaches on your board and he will keep them just to spite you.”

“Thanks for the kind words! Back when you guys hired him, I remember telling another Auburn fan who came here that Harsin was very similar to Gus in terms of how frustrating his teams could be. It feels like every year, you can pencil in a couple losses that you have no business losing on paper.”

You can take a screenshot of this season for Auburn and save it because it will be the exact same every year until he leaves”

Nailed it to a tea. Being in Hawaii and watching them play UH a lot. That’s exactly what I observed .The win/ loss record is very deceptive. It is what it is. Let me clarify meaning the game stuff. I have no clue about the behind the scenes

Edited by e808

I tend to automatically discount any comment that includes "stubborn". Anybody who has ever been great at anything will tell you it took stubbornness to get there. Oh sure, adaptability is a part of it, but it's 10 parts stubborn to one part adapt. Saban is as stubborn as it gets. He only reluctantly made changes on D to adapt to the HUNH, and simultaneously neutered it by being a big part of pushing through rules changes. The latter took a lot more stubborn than the former did adapting. You can say his O has evolved, but has it really? His foundation has always been a dominant OL, which makes any play called have a chance to look good. 

As for the rest, well it is ringing true this year. When I looked at CBH's record there, he did what he did against a significantly stronger SOS than any of his predecessors did. When that happens, it's easy to have 1 or 2 "inexplicable" losses per year, because the injuries and fatigue mounts without depth. What we've seen these past two weeks though were just flat out bad play calls combined with some highly questionable ref work. 

All that said, he'd better show us something in recruiting or on the field next year.......

Difference is going to be in what kind of staff he can build here. He'll be able to pull a lot more veteran, capable, and autonomous coaches to coach for him at Auburn than he could at Boise. 

Question is, will he get out of their way and let them coach? I'm probably up for giving Mason another year as I do think he's had some bright moments (TAMU, and basically every game but MSU. Even just 21 at USC should have been enough to win).

But my gosh. Bobo has to gogo. We can do much much much much better and there's no upside to him. Guy has N*E*V*E*R been an elite coordinator. We knew it wouldn't be good when we hired him. 

• Like 1

BTW, I wonder if 7-4 BSU misses Harsin's 2-3 loss seasons now, many of which were 1st places in their division. They are sitting at 3rd now. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Gosh , you'd think they were describing  Gus.  LOL

Exactly what I thought I was reading.  The last thing we need is another stubborn ass HC that is set in ways and can’t make in game adjustments.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

BTW, I wonder if 7-4 BSU misses Harsin's 2-3 loss seasons now, many of which were 1st places in their division. They are sitting at 3rd now. 

Gonna be very interesting to see how that program does in the immediate future. I think we will basically see a see-saw effect one way or another. 

Meaning, we'll either see Boise tank while Auburn skyrockets. Or Auburn tank while Boise skyrockets. 

I'm still very skeptical that a program in frigid Idaho is a built-in, turn key winner. But that's the common belief. BSU fans believe Harsin wasn't that great because... well, they believe their program is entitled to 11-12 wins a year, not 9-10. Just because they're Boise, I guess.

What people fail to realize is BSU is still a very young (less than 30 years old) D1 program, that achieved a pretty consistent run of success. But the question is was that due to Boise's natural advantages attracting players or due to good coaches making lemonade out of lemons? 

If BSU really is a turn-key winner, then we'll likely see them return to Top 10 discussion in the next year or two, churning out 11-12 wins a year. Which would mean Harsin IS a below average coach. And it would mean we will likely tank with him. 

However, Boise going 7-4 might spell the opposite. Maybe Harsin (like his predecessors) had BSU playing above their heads to 9-10 wins because he is an excellent coach. And with him gone, they'll learn that the hard way, by seeing him take Auburn to a consistent 9-10 win level while they sink to the level of any other MWC team. 

The only exception to this scenario being that Harsin is a stud, but so is his replacement at BSU. 

Still, for Auburn fans I think we should keep an eye on a Harsin-less Boise to help evaluate how good the guy really is. 

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Gonna be very interesting to see how that program does in the immediate future. I think we will basically see a see-saw effect one way or another. 

Meaning, we'll either see Boise tank while Auburn skyrockets. Or Auburn tank while Boise skyrockets. 

I'm still very skeptical that a program in frigid Idaho is a built-in, turn key winner. But that's the common belief. BSU fans believe Harsin wasn't that great because... well, they believe their program is entitled to 11-12 wins a year, not 9-10. Just because they're Boise, I guess.

What people fail to realize is BSU is still a very young (less than 30 years old) D1 program, that achieved a pretty consistent run of success. But the question is was that due to Boise's natural advantages attracting players or due to good coaches making lemonade out of lemons? 

If BSU really is a turn-key winner, then we'll likely see them return to Top 10 discussion in the next year or two, churning out 11-12 wins a year. Which would mean Harsin IS a below average coach. And it would mean we will likely tank with him. 

However, Boise going 7-4 might spell the opposite. Maybe Harsin (like his predecessors) had BSU playing above their heads to 9-10 wins because he is an excellent coach. And with him gone, they'll learn that the hard way, by seeing him take Auburn to a consistent 9-10 win level while they sink to the level of any other MWC team. 

The only exception to this scenario being that Harsin is a stud, but so is his replacement at BSU. 

Still, for Auburn fans I think we should keep an eye on a Harsin-less Boise to help evaluate how good the guy really is. 

I don’t see any huge holes in your logic.

• Like 1

Well that's not great to see. Admittedly I was surprised that they said he's a micromanager. Seems to me like he almost is too hands off and is more of a CEO head coach. We called for Gus to be like that for years and stay hands off. But with Harsin I actually believe he is knowledgable with offense and identifying weaknesses on D, etc. If he stays, I actually think he needs to take more control of the offense because of that

28 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That’s a tall task to try and keep track because the teams will vary from year to year. Boise State SOS is tougher than last year. Over the past 3 years Fresno State and San Jose State has been a torn in their side. Just putting it out there Respectfully 

1 minute ago, e808 said:

That’s a tall task to try and keep track because the teams will vary from year to year. Boise State SOS is tougher than last year. Over the past 3 years Fresno State and San Jose State has been a torn in their side. Just putting it out there Respectfully 

Well that's the whole thing. Boise fans have made it clear that regardless of schedule, they should be winning 11-12 games. Because they felt Harsin underachieved. 

If they expect an Ohio State-like Wins/Loss record, they are saying they're an Ohio State like machine respective to their conference. We shall see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Personally, my prediction is Boise will not return to their Petersen era glory and they'll realize that Harsin wasn't such a bad coach. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I rarely put any stock into what fans of a previous head coach who got hired away to a bigger school say

• Like 1

Just went and read the thread myself. All sorts of opinions. A few that said Harsin is a complete a-hole and to ask Drinkwitz what he thinks of him. But then a few that said he's actually privately very good guy and connects well. Most seemed to say he's above average X and O's. Below average game management.

Differed takes on recruiting. The most concerning stuff to me is that they said the culture under him wasn't great. My hope was, at the very least, Harsin would fix our culture and get our strength and conditioning back on track. Then, if he flopped at least the next coach would walk into a tough culture of better conditioned players and can do better recruiting. All that being said, he won 9-10 out there and Avolos seems meh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Didba said:

I rarely put any stock into what fans of a previous head coach who got hired away to a bigger school say

Not sure about hired away. There was no secret he was bored and ready to leave. He just got looked over a few times

Edited by e808
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Not sure about hired away. There was no secret he was board and ready to leave. He just got looked over a few times

was he walnut or maple?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

was he walnut or maple?

Idk what u are referring but from my personal observation of watching them play from a field view. Peterson had them on a different level. That’s my opinion. Far as record wise in the MWC u don’t have the coaching giants and win at all cost programs. Way less pressure to beat a Todd Graham Hawaii coached team vs a Saban, Kirby or Jimbo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I've read what has me most concerned is he is not a strong recruiter. If that's the case this year will look like he has the program headed in the right direction.