What programs in the SEC are trending???

tigerman1186

After our 3 recent loses, is Tennessee and South Carolina trending up and we and Florida trending downward???

I'll state the obvious. Auburn is trending down, which is what matters most to us.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

After our 3 recent loses, is Tennessee and South Carolina trending up and we and Florida trending downward???

What do you think ?

Arkansas and Mississippi State are trending up too. Dunno about Ole Miss since Kiffin will likely leave after this year. We have no excuse to not trend up long term if all those programs can trend up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, au302 said:

2017 was great

This is where we are as a program since 2015. A 4 loss season ending with an embarrassing bowl loss is considered great just because we beat our major rivals. What a sorry state of affairs

• Like 5

1 minute ago, fredst said:

This is where we are as a program since 2015. A 4 loss season ending with an embarrassing bowl loss is considered great just because we beat our major rivals. What a sorry state of affairs

Agreed. I was trying to be fair and objective to the former staff and give them their props where it's due. But you're absolutely correct. In reality, it wasn't that great and hamstrung is with the contract

• Like 1

The hard truth is there is just not a lot of quality coaches that can run a program. There are a lot of coaches who specialize in an area, but running a program? Not really. It is a roll of the dice.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, au302 said:

We've been trending down big time since 2015. 2017 was great and 2019 was good. But as a program, definitely on the down

It's one hell of a mess Harsin signed up for and this should make it clear to most realistic supporters that this isn't going to be a quick fix.  He's got his work cut out for himself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SRBautigerfan said:

It's one hell of a mess Harsin signed up for and this should make it clear to most realistic supporters that this isn't going to be a quick fix.  He's got his work cut out for himself.

He does, but he also can make it a longer fix than he will be given time to make. We’ll see how the off-season goes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I agree that he inherited a mess, but what is surprising is that he and the other coaches have not cleaned it up by now. Some of the coaching calls are so frustrating that it reminds me of why we fired Gus, and that is not good. But the biggest disappointment so far has been recruiting. He will never fix the mess if he does not bring in talent. We are LAST in the SEC at the moment. We still have time, but not much.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I agree that he inherited a mess, but what is surprising is that he and the other coaches have not cleaned it up by now. Some of the coaching calls are so frustrating that it reminds me of why we fired Gus, and that is not good. But the biggest disappointment so far has been recruiting. He will never fix the mess if he does not bring in talent. We are LAST in the SEC at the moment. We still have time, but not much.

I’m a little puzzled by some this logic about recruiting and coaching.   Some say, Harsin has to recruit better.    Some say we have talent but are coaching it properly.   

How can both Mississippi schools have worse recruiting results but have better outcomes on the field? So, can an average player be coached up at another school but not at Auburn?   Or are the rankings wrong on the other schools?

12 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m a little puzzled by some this logic about recruiting and coaching.   Some say, Harsin has to recruit better.    Some say we have talent but are coaching it properly.   

How can both Mississippi schools have worse recruiting results but have better outcomes on the field? So, can an average player be coached up at another school but not at Auburn?   Or are the rankings wrong on the other schools?

Like I said, I have been questing the coaching. It has been disappointing for sure.  But let me ask you this. 
1) who has more talent at QB- AU or the MS schools? Answer-  not AU

2) Who has more talent on the offensive and defensive lines? Answer- not AU 

3) Who has more talent at wide receiver? Answer -  not AU 

Point being that I don’t think they would take a single one of our OL, DL, WR, or QB over what they have. Not one. Think about that for a second. The people that we have at these positions were not highly recruited, other than Bo. We have been recruiting the same as the Mississippi schools or worse for the last few years many positions. On the OL we have been recruiting worse than them… probably worse that any P5 school. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Yeah 2017 was not great. Exciting November but that’s it. God almighty they were so close to the Playoff. 

59 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I think they can snag some talent out of the portal. I’m bearish on Auburn (unless they make a good coordinator hire or two) but I don’t think they’re dreadful. Last 3 games are totally avoidable even with this talent. The coaching is butt. 

Bobo and Mason need to fired after the Iron Bowl regardless of the outcome. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

Arkansas and Mississippi State are trending up too. Dunno about Ole Miss since Kiffin will likely leave after this year. We have no excuse to not trend up long term if all those programs can trend up.

Ole miss is trending up for sure. They are ranked in the top ten and have a legit shot at #1 quarterback 

3 hours ago, fredst said:

That is a total miss characterization of 2017.  We beat number 1 ranked teams, two of them over a three week span.  We would have been the first 2 loss team in the playoff had we not been banged up and lost to uga in the championship game.  That is a hell of a lot to feel good about.  Do you realize how many other programs would give anything to have that type of success?

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Yeah 2017 was not great. Exciting November but that’s it. God almighty they were so close to the Playoff. 

It is more than just a good year when you win the hardest division in college football.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Do you realize how many other programs would give anything to have that type of success?

Yes, I realize that. I would say that celebrating that as “great” at Auburn shows how low expectations had fallen. Was it great to beat two very good teams at the end, especially them being Georgia and Alabama? Of course. Ultimately, the season was a four loss year with a bumbling bowl loss to an AAC team (which was a good team but was not as talented as Auburn) and an epic meltdown to a mediocre LSU team. The rest is just lame excuses and “what if”.If that is considered “great” then I expect a lot less traffic on the board after losses to traditionally mid-tier (at best ) SEC teams in the future. And, if we are celebrating years like that as great the four loss years are going to be what we get. I would prefer to aspire to real greatness as a program and take those years as fun but nothing to brag about. Maybe this is really where we are as a fan base and program. If so, that’s too bad

A lot of parity

Ole Miss - Up

Miss St - Up

Arkansas - Up

Alabama - Rebuilding and still very good

Georgia - Up (likely to have the next Dynasty)

Kentucky- has to cool back down, or do they?

Miss St - Up

AM - Up , really has a great deal of talent

Tennessee - Getting better

Florida - Down but will rebound

LSU - Down but rebound

Those two schools have a better/easier recruiting pool to pull in talent.

Vandy - Down but typical

USCe - Not sure about them

Auburn - Down Big

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

Ole miss is trending up for sure. They are ranked in the top ten and have a legit shot at #1 quarterback 

Don’t think they land Arch. I believe he goes to Alabama. I thought Texas before but they are having a similar season as us.

I wouldn’t say Auburn is trending down big. From everything I’ve heard all the Auburn talking heads say is that recruiting is starting to go really well this year and next. You’ve see a lot of the core needs met with Oline, WR, Dline, QB.  Auburn will probably be in a lot of transfer portal news both coming in and out.  You could see several faces on the starting lineup next year that don’t go to Auburn now.  
The whole SEC is nuts right now.