Michelle McKenna

RunInRed

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

This is the most rational take I have read on the entire situation and needs to be plastered everywhere. Fix our own house first with Pres. and AD. Then fix any athletic programs that need it, football first and foremost. Harsin gets to or through '23 depending on if next year is a huge disaster (probably considering the poor depth unfortunately).

Would the roster issues prevent us from getting a decent coach? It obviously didn't with Bruce but still. The fact that we got turned down by BN is very worrying to me.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Would the roster issues prevent us from getting a decent coach? It obviously didn't with Bruce but still. The fact that we got turned down by BN is very worrying to me.

You think BN would reconsider Auburn if Harsin left for Washington? He doesn’t seem to be a front runner for the LSU job.

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Do you remember the first two years under Bruce? He ran a scheme we absolutely did not have the players to run, but he had to show the recruits he was offering what they were going to be in for. And we sucked, record wise. Just a thought about the football program. And for the record, I have no idea if this is gonna work for football.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Do you remember the first two years under Bruce? He ran a scheme we absolutely did not have the players to run, but he had to show the recruits he was offering what they were going to be in for. And we sucked, record wise. Just a thought about the football program. And for the record, I have no idea if this is gonna work for football.

Difference is our recruiting very clearly improved upon his arrival.

@PUB78: I saw that he was high on FL's list. I'm just trying to figure out how much time we need to have given CBH to look justified--the optics could be of a fanbase that won't tolerate even one year of rebuilding and chased off Harsin.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Difference is our recruiting very clearly improved upon his arrival.

But we did not know they were good. Heck, everybody loved being top 10 in recruiting under Gus, even without OL included. We were top 10! 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We got turned down by Bill Napier because they didn’t want to give him all that he wanted if I remember correctly and this will continue to be AU downfall. I can’t wait to see how he does at UF when they hire him. 

3 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

But we did not know they were good. Heck, everybody loved being top 10 in recruiting under Gus, even without OL included. We were top 10! 

The talent was probably the reason why we did as well as we did. You NEED good recruiting, period.

@DAG: That might be a bit more reassuring that we would've been capable of getting him. Anyone know what he wanted that we were unwilling to give him?

Edited by AUwent

14 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

You think BN would reconsider Auburn if Harsin left for Washington? He doesn’t seem to be a front runner for the LSU job.

What makes you think Harsin is front runner?

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

The talent was probably the reason why we did as well as we did. You NEED good recruiting, period.

@DAG: That might be a bit more reassuring that we would've been capable of getting him. Anyone know what he wanted that we were unwilling to give him?

I don't know why you keep going down rabbit holes so this will be my last post, but what I can remember and this is all rumored 

Apparently a decent annual salary with a hefty buy out for security. But I think the biggest thing was he wanted a pretty sizable budget for his assistants of his own choosing. I think that was of course too much for our asking so it didn't work out. Thats pretty much what I remembered from the rumor mill.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't know why you keep going down rabbit holes so this will be my last post, but what I can remember and this is all rumored 

Apparently a decent annual salary with a hefty buy out for security. But I think the biggest thing was he wanted a pretty sizable budget for his assistants of his own choosing. I think that was of course too much for our asking so it didn't work out. Thats pretty much what I remembered from the rumor mill.

Fair.

Be interesting to see if anyone does hire him now that LSU is trying bigger.

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Not au302 but Bruce Pearl has given us all hope that Auburn can get a hire correct. I know it was the perfect storm for us to get him but the fact is that we did. I think the support on here for Harsin at first was that it was finally a change. He talks a good talk but the 1-0 mantra is weak when we can't see the results of it weekly. It's more like 1-ohhh. We all want the same thing, we want the PsTB to want excellence, demand it and figure out how to get the person here who can deliver it and get out of their way. We need to fast track the President and AD change and then deal with Harsin if he doesn't improve things by '23. It's not the 6-6 to me this year but losing 4 straight (excluding a miracle) that gives him a shorter leash than he should have had. 

I never thought of "1-OhNo" until you typed your comment like that and I'm ashamed of myself. But that's where we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Can we do that if we don't have the wealthy alumni that Oregon and A&M do?

We do have them.  In fact, I'm certain we have a greater number of them than Oregon.  They have Nike in their back pocket, but past that they aren't overly engaged.

I think we all need to stop whining about the PTB and what they are doing.  They want Auburn to be successful.  But for their help over the years, we wouldn't have been as successful as we have been at times, especially in this era of bama dominating and sucking all the air out of the room.  They didn't hire AD Allen Greene and they didn't hire Harsin.  I don't care who the coach is or where they are coaching, there are important boosters that coaches and administrators have to go out of their way to make them feel that they are part of the team.  They are going to have more input than most.  After all, nothing is free.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I was very pro Napier at first.  The more people I have spoken with, the more the shine has worn off when it comes to Napier.  We didn't go very far into the process with Napier. He was never offered the job.

He has had success at Louisiana, but his track record before that job has been sketchy at best. He worked as an analyst at bama and then an assistant coaching WRs.  Before being an analyst, he had been a receivers coach at Clemson when Dabo got the HC job and moved him to OC.  Dabo fired him and brought in Chad Morris, which is when Dabo really started making noise nationally.  He worked under Jim McElwain at Colorado State and then took a job under Todd Graham at Arizona State.  I'll put it this way.... from what I have been told by people that have worked around him in the past, nobody thinks higher of themselves than does Billy Napier.  Take it for what it's worth.

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I was very pro Napier at first.  The more people I have spoken with, the more the shine has worn off when it comes to Napier.  We didn't go very far into the process with Napier. He was never offered the job.

He has had success at Louisiana, but his track record before that job has been sketchy at best. He worked as an analyst at bama and then an assistant coaching WRs.  Before being an analyst, he had been a receivers coach at Clemson when Dabo got the HC job and moved him to OC.  Dabo fired him and brought in Chad Morris, which is when Dabo really started making noise nationally.  He worked under Jim McElwain at Colorado State and then took a job under Todd Graham at Arizona State.  I'll put it this way.... from what I have been told by people that have worked around him in the past, nobody thinks higher of themselves than does Billy Napier.  Take it for what it's worth.

I deeply appreciate your input!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

What makes you think Harsin is front runner?

I don’t. I just hope he is at the present.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

God almighty BN didn't turned down Auburn he didn't even get an offer...how many times do I have to say this

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

God almighty BN didn't turned down Auburn he didn't even get an offer...how many times do I have to say this

He is in his first HC job, correct? At Louisiana. I’m trying to figure out why some people think he is such a great hire. 

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

He is in his first HC job, correct? At Louisiana. I’m trying to figure out why some people think he is such a great hire. 

He is a good/decent coach and a very good recruiter but he got carried away with his demands on salary

If it had been me we would have gotten MC and he was ready to take the job.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Still makes me sad how that fell apart. Guarantee there would not be the hand-wringing over recruiting if it had come together 

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

He is a good/decent coach and a very good recruiter but he got carried away with his demands on salary

Covid @ Wash, right? If so it bodes well if we do have to make a change in a couple years.

Edited by AUwent