Michelle McKenna

RunInRed

I’ve been crapping on our recruiting all season. 13th in the conference shows that we aren’t putting an emphasis on it. And Saban exposed the secret at Alabama. Recruiting > everything else.

Bring her in, change the culture top down. I want somebody that’s passionate about Auburn calling the shots, alum or not (and not appearing like a yokel like JJ). Greene may be fine, I don’t know, but it’s always seemed like he’s half engaged 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fredst said:

Bring her in, change the culture top down. I want somebody that’s passionate about Auburn calling the shots, alum or not (and not appearing like a yokel like JJ). Greene may be fine, I don’t know, but it’s always seemed like he’s half engaged 

The knock on her by insiders at the time was that she was just a smarter, better looking version of JJ (neither of which is a high bar to clear) - too tightly tied to the GOB network. Just passing on the info, not stating my own opinion since I don't know much about her. 

She is more than qualified. My only major question is: Is she a candidate that the PTB's would actually let do her thing without her having to cut them off and fracture their egos? It's clear that the outside AD thing doesn't work here unfortunately. We need an AD that can navigate the egos while also doing their own thing. I really think we need to consider making Bruce AD and coach

If Green leaves and we can't get her would Scott Etheridge be willing? Making Bruce the AD could work but would he want that extra level of responsibility?

Edited by AUwent

7 hours ago, milehighfan said:

JMO but the powers that be at Auburn treat the football program as if it's a hobby.

And that other school treats it like a multi million dollar business.  The PTB at Auburn need to maximize how the NIL can be used to our advantage along with recruiting budgets right now before we fall any farther behind than we already are.

7 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

And that other school treats it like a multi million dollar business.  The PTB at Auburn need to maximize how the NIL can be used to our advantage along with recruiting budgets right now before we fall any farther behind than we already are.

Can we do that if we don't have the wealthy alumni that Oregon and A&M do?

Edited by AUwent

41 minutes ago, au302 said:

She is more than qualified. My only major question is: Is she a candidate that the PTB's would actually let do her thing without her having to cut them off and fracture their egos? It's clear that the outside AD thing doesn't work here unfortunately. We need an AD that can navigate the egos while also doing their own thing. I really think we need to consider making Bruce AD and coach

I'm confused. People on AUFamily don't like Harsin for a coach, when the AD went out and got a HC that the PTB doesn't like, so we should hire an AU lady that the AUfamily would like but we're now supposed to worry if the PTB would like her too.?.? If making the PTB angry is your goal, Harsin seems to be your man. I am not attempting to be a smart a$$, because I probably agree with you on most things, including Harsin. But it seems we did exactly what you are advocating for the last time. If we're judging it on one year,not yet completed.

8 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Good question but I'm not sure.  

Because the NIL discussion on the other thread makes it sound like everyone in the SEC aside from UAT, UGA, A&M, LSU and maybe Florida should just go ahead and move to the Sun Belt.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I'm confused. People on AUFamily don't like Harsin for a coach, when the AD went out and got a HC that the PTB doesn't like, so we should hire an AU lady that the AUfamily would like but we're now supposed to worry if the PTB would like her too.?.? If making the PTB angry is your goal, Harsin seems to be your man. I am not attempting to be a smart a$$, because I probably agree with you on most things, including Harsin. But it seems we did exactly what you are advocating for the last time. If we're judging it on one year,not yet completed.

Yea people want it both ways with everything. I'm all for Harsin. My whole point is that we need some leader in the AD that has the respect of the PTB. With money comes influence. Basically, they are still willing to donate but also trust the AD to run as they see fit for the most part. They'll never give full autonomy. In terms of Harsin, he could be on the verge of 10 wins and they wouldn't care. Sad but true. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Not au302 but Bruce Pearl has given us all hope that Auburn can get a hire correct. I know it was the perfect storm for us to get him but the fact is that we did. I think the support on here for Harsin at first was that it was finally a change. He talks a good talk but the 1-0 mantra is weak when we can't see the results of it weekly. It's more like 1-ohhh. We all want the same thing, we want the PsTB to want excellence, demand it and figure out how to get the person here who can deliver it and get out of their way. We need to fast track the President and AD change and then deal with Harsin if he doesn't improve things by '23. It's not the 6-6 to me this year but losing 4 straight (excluding a miracle) that gives him a shorter leash than he should have had. 

Edited by gr82be
Changed terminology because I didn't intend to exclude a female candidate
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Because the NIL discussion on the other thread makes it sound like everyone in the SEC aside from UAT, UGA, A&M, LSU and maybe Florida should just go ahead and move to the Sun Belt.

I don't think UGA and possibly LSU can hang in there long term. LSU can work the home state talent angle, but I doubt they will be able to recruit nationally. Texas and OU will shut down what pipeline they had to east Texas now that they are coming to the SEC. UAT doesn't have the sheer $ that ATM and UF do, but they do have absolute unity behind what $ they do have, and more experience than anyone with big $ recruiting. You think Albert Means was an anomaly? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I don't think UGA and possibly LSU can hang in there long term. LSU can work the home state talent angle, but I doubt they will be able to recruit nationally. Texas and OU will shut down what pipeline they had to east Texas now that they are coming to the SEC. UAT doesn't have the sheer $ that ATM and UF do, but they do have absolute unity behind what $ they do have, and more experience than anyone with big $ recruiting. You think Albert Means was an anomaly? 

Well, I think everyone cheats. UAT just gets away with it more obviously.

Why don't you think UGA?

Like, is there any realistic way we turn around recruiting within the next few years, with or without CBH?

Edited by AUwent

13 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Not au302 but Bruce Pearl has given us all hope that Auburn can get a hire correct. I know it was the perfect storm for us to get him but the fact is that we did. I think the support on here for Harsin at first was that it was finally a change. He talks a good talk but the 1-0 mantra is weak when we can't see the results of it weekly. It's more like 1-ohhh. We all want the same thing, we want the PsTB to want excellence, demand it and figure out how to get the person here who can deliver it and get out of their way. We need to fast track the President and AD change and then deal with Harsin if he doesn't improve things by '23. It's not the 6-6 to me this year but losing 4 straight (excluding a miracle) that gives him a shorter leash than he should have had. 

This is the most rational take I have read on the entire situation and needs to be plastered everywhere. Fix our own house first with Pres. and AD. Then fix any athletic programs that need it, football first and foremost. Harsin gets to or through '23 depending on if next year is a huge disaster (probably considering the poor depth unfortunately).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2