Harsin going to Washington?

Auburn Tiger

7 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

If he leaves, we'll have players transfer and lose recruits. Next year will be even worse for a first year coach trying to build a program.

We are a 7-5 and now 6-6 program. We've technically been a 6 win program for 2 years. We all hate losing want better but the sooner we realize we are in rebuild the sooner this board will have less freakouts. The coach was way too aggressive last night with a back up quarterback and he'll have to learn from that or he won't be around. But getting rid of a first year coach is dooming your football program for years. If he leaves, we'll be competing against other bad programs looking for more unproven or mediocre coaches. People need to vent in less threads..

Maybe some clarification on what “rebuild” is, and why Harsin’s version of rebuild is necessary would help bring fans on the same page.  So far I haven’t seen much evidence of a rebuild…only a painfully slow demolition.

Where is the poise; where is the discipline, where are the recruits?

He’s not wise if he thinks he has 3-4 years to get this thing going.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Maybe some clarification on what “rebuild” is, and why Harsin’s version of rebuild is necessary would help bring fans on the same page.  So far I haven’t seen much evidence of a rebuild…only a painfully slow demolition.

The recruiting is definitely rebuild and so far it's not what we are capable of for sure. We'll see. We have such piss poor depth I really worry about having to start again with a new coach. The jokes about Tennessee, Texas will start to ring true in my opinion. I think he has 3 years, but we need to make some major progress next year. 

Edited by Randman5000

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

But you’re missing the point of a rebuild.    It’s going to take 3-4 years to rebuild it.   If Auburn doesn’t, it will be Tennessee scenario.   You fire a coach after one or two years, you’re never going to get a great coach to come.  It shows no patience in a coach.   
Everyone has to ask themselves, if Auburn is such a great place to be and coach, why weren’t there great coaches reaching out and wanting to come after Gus was let go?   There has to be something going on that restricts Auburn from turning the program into a consistent high level winner.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

But you’re missing the point of a rebuild.    It’s going to take 3-4 years to rebuild it.   If Auburn doesn’t, it will be Tennessee scenario.   You fire a coach after one or two years, you’re never going to get a great coach to come.  It shows no patience in a coach.   
Everyone has to ask themselves, if Auburn is such a great place to be and coach, why weren’t there great coaches reaching out and wanting to come after Gus was let go?   There has to be something going on that restricts Auburn from turning the program into a consistent high level winner.  

Makes absolutely no sense when you look at who's been able to land quality coaches.

Edited by AUwent
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Makes absolutely no sense when you look at who's been able to land quality coaches.

Not absolute. ITs also timing. Lane jumped to the SEC when Ole Miss called the year before, he wasn't leaving after 1 year. We had a chance at Mario and that was our ceiling, He also realized he had a better chance at Oregon vs rebuilding our program. Who was our other options, Napier, Steele, UAB...come on. It was slim pickings. We weren't jumping in with a 9-10 million contract after the Gus mess.

Edited by Randman5000

Just now, Randman5000 said:

Not absolute. ITs also timing. Lane jumped to the SEC when Ole Miss called the year before, he wasn't leaving after 1 year. We had a chance at Mario and that was our ceiling. Who was our other options, Napier, Steele, UAB...come on. It was slim pickings. We weren't jumping in with a 9-10 million contract after the Gus mess.

Napier would've been a good hire.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

there wasn't a lot of poise on Saban's 2007 team which also crumbled down the stretch.  

Recruiting is going about how most the "experts" predicted and will end up 20-25 in the nation which isn't great but is filling a lot of needs.  Transfer portal is going to open wide and Auburn will lose some folks and gain some.

3 years is the bare minimum any coach should get unless the wheels just really fall off.  Next year may be worse with 2-3 new starters on the Oline and some key loses on defense but the foundation will be set for 2023 and on to be better every year. 

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I’m not just talking about quality.  Some on here think that Auburn has/can get anyone.    It’s never been that way and probably never will.    

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not just talking about quality.  Some on here think that Auburn has/can get anyone.    It’s never been that way and probably never will.    

I never expected us to get Urban Meyer. I DID expect us to be able to land someone as good as Kiffin/Napier.

@Randman5000: Yeah, and the fact that he turned us down was incredibly disturbing. Hence my point. Why can't we get someone on that level? I guarantee you he'd have us in the top 20 in recruiting right now.

Edited by AUwent

4 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Not absolute. ITs also timing. Lane jumped to the SEC when Ole Miss called the year before, he wasn't leaving after 1 year. We had a chance at Mario and that was our ceiling, He also realized he had a better chance at Oregon vs rebuilding our program. Who was our other options, Napier, Steele, UAB...come on. It was slim pickings. We weren't jumping in with a 9-10 million contract after the Gus mess.

But that’s the rub, Randyman.   Why not pay 11 million and get Urban?   12 million and offer Saban?   Go after the best

Also those in love with Mario need to take a hard look at what happened last night to Oregon.  Auburn fans would have a meltdown if in year 4 after top 5 recruiting classes you get destroyed at Utah.  He can recruit but imo that hasn't resulted in where it should on the field.   

• Like 1

So far in Pittman and Kiffin’s rebuild, they were faced with worse rosters and are competitive in year 2.  It’s hard to imagine us as a 9 win team next year.  Why is our rebuild supposed to be so much more difficult to endure? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

But that’s the rub, Randyman.   Why not pay 11 million and get Urban?   12 million and offer Saban?   Go after the best

lol. that's a good one. 

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So far in Pittman and Kiffin’s rebuild, they were faced with worse rosters and are competitive in year 2.  It’s hard to imagine us as a 9 win team next year.  Why is our rebuild supposed to be so much more difficult to endure? 

Because we are Auburn.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Its more difficult because we didn't have proper expectations going into the season, imo. There are some on here that expect us to beat schools without even stepping on the field. Maybe this is a reality check. I thought last year was a reality check. The coach and players are going to have to work their butts off next year.

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Please be true. In reality he’ll leverage for a huge buyout and be retained at Auburn only to be fired the following year and end up with enough money to never have to work again and have enough to live in luxury for the rest of his life.

That’s the sheer brilliance of AU. 

We are likely stuck with Harsin at least one more year. But if he does try to use Washington to renegotiate, I’d call his bluff if I were AG. Didn’t love the hire when we made it, and I wouldn’t be disappointed if we went in a different direction.

2 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Dan Mullen may be interested since he’s now available.

Enter Mike Leach, exist Dan Mullen.

How long did that take, 2-3 years?

Get on board, or get left behind. The landscape of college football is a rollercoaster.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Dan Mullen may be interested since he’s now available.

Glad you are in a joking mood this afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DAG said:

Glad you are in a joking mood this afternoon.

Not speaking for him (her), but sometimes you have to laugh, not to cry.