Been a while my thoughts

austudnt23

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

We didn't even talk to Napier last year he wasnt even interviewed 🤷 I don't understand why people keep bringing it up like we did, im not the only one who's said this either. @augolf1716@bigbird has also said it along with others. 

We did talk to him, but he named his price and he was laughed out of town before the conversation went anywhere. Is how I heard it. 

It was Bill Clark that we never actually spoke to, I believe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

It was both we didn't talk to either. They were not on the Table. That's all Im gonna say y'all believe what you want to believe. Lol 

Yes, I do believe the (more specific, less vague) information I heard from several connected people here. Maybe you're more connected than them. If so, congrats. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, I do believe the (more specific, less vague) information I heard from several connected people here. Maybe you're more connected than them. If so, congrats. 

My bad I misread what you said on the last one. I thought you were meaning interviewed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Napier is my #1 choice although it may be too late now even if we pull the plug on Harsin. We should have hired Napier last year. Now he's a hot commodity and we'd have to pay even more for him this year than what he wanted last year. 

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/174224-welcome-to-the-plains-coach-harsin-merged/?do=findComment&comment=3328551

According to WarDamnEagleWDE, Napier wanted $6 million and we passed on him last year. I'd be willing to bet it's going to take $7 million this year to land Napier since multiple big name SEC schools have him as a target. Jimmy Sexton is Napier's agent. So Napier is going to get $$$ whoever lands him this year.

For 7 million or even 4 million I'd pass on Napier. He is a fall back guy at UF. Sure he is being pushed as the "guy" but there are several names above him. 

I damn sure thought Harsin was going to be that guy. I wanted Mario but things happened out of AU's and even Mario's control last year. Harsin came in saying the right things but this thing started to go south starting with the Merry Flipmas. From there just one blunder after another. Really disappointing so far. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

For 7 million or even 4 million I'd pass on Napier. He is a fall back guy at UF. Sure he is being pushed as the "guy" but there are several names above him. 

I damn sure thought Harsin was going to be that guy. I wanted Mario but things happened out of AU's and even Mario's control last year. Harsin came in saying the right things but this thing started to go south starting with the Merry Flipmas. From there just one blunder after another. Really disappointing so far. 

I really like Napier. It

seems like a huge risk , huge reward tbh. I know most UF fans want him.

Edited by DAG

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I really like Napier. It

Yep. He's a recruiter first. You would dang sure have some inroads in Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia for sure with Napier. That is why he is high on UF's list. UF is trying to swing for the fence with this hire. I'm pretty sure the the Ole Ball coach is heavily involved.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Florida is crazy to fire the coach they had and wind up with a first stop HC at Louisiana.

56 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Florida is crazy to fire the coach they had and wind up with a first stop HC at Louisiana.

He is a little more than that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Remind me what Merry Flipmas was?

By out of our and Mario's control, do you mean the Big Beer?

Anyway, saw on Rant that PM is saying Harsin to UW is very possible and that we'd be looking at Georgia's DC...we could do way worse I guess.

Edited by AUwent

5 hours ago, DAG said:

I really like Napier. It

It's not the comparison you're making, but I do find it weird, from our Admin perspective, Napier was laughed out of town for 6mm but we were super comfortable with a guy from Boise with zero connections to this area for 5mm a year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Louisiana is his 1st HC job. (Sunbelt Conf. Btw)

Not many coaches bounce around multiple G5 teams before getting a P5 gig. Not sure I get the dig.

Our last handful of coaches were coming off their 1st coaching gig. Dye had 2 but a single year at Wyoming...kinda similar to Harsin 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Anyway, saw on Rant that PM is saying Harsin to UW is very possible and that we'd be looking at Georgia's DC...we could do way worse I guess.

I don't trust PM as far as I can throw'em, which wouldn't be far 🤣

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I think this is just people trying to add drama.

10 hours ago, autiger88 said:

We didn't even talk to Napier last year he wasnt even interviewed 🤷 I don't understand why people keep bringing it up like we did, im not the only one who's said this either. @augolf1716@bigbird has also said it along with others. 

Exactly. Supposedly 'someone' just asked how he would fit and his response  made sure there was NEVER a follow up. So there was NO offer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's not the comparison you're making, but I do find it weird, from our Admin perspective, Napier was laughed out of town for 6mm but we were super comfortable with a guy from Boise with zero connections to this area for 5mm a year.

No. Didn't happen. 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Right? . But from what I remember he also wanted a sizable budget for his assistants of his choosing. I think that was the major issue. Until we get away from that , we going to always be second tier .

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Louisiana is his 1st HC job. (Sunbelt Conf. Btw)

Right but if you did your research you would find out he is a hot commodity not just because he is doing extremely well in his first head coaching gig. I would educate myself a little more. 

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right but if you did your research you would find out he is a hot commodity not just because he is doing extremely well in his first head coaching gig. I would educate myself a little more. 

28-11. Not sure that is extremely well. Your right about him being discussed a lot, but no offers that I know of.  Hot commodity is not data on why he would be a good SEC coach. That would be worse than McElwain hire IMO.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right? . But from what I remember he also wanted a sizable budget for his assistants of his choosing. I think that was the major issue. Until we get away from that , we going to always be second tier .

See..some of that just sounds like an excuse (not saying it's you, just what "insiders" were saying).  Our assistant pool has to be pretty big.  We've never been afraid of spending money at Auburn.  Both Mason and Bobo are making big bucks.  We tried to hire a few really expensive WR/RB coaches before settling on the one we fired and Carnell.  I can't imagine the assistant pool being that much bigger than what we got...or what Harsin was shooting for.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

28-11. Not sure that is extremely well. Your right about him being discussed a lot, but no offers that I know of.  Hot commodity is not data on why he would be a good SEC coach. That would be worse than McElwain hire IMO.

Never said he would be a good coach. I said he is an hot commodity. Unless you have SEC experience with good results how would you validate who is a good coach based on your standards? My point is before you make blanket statements at least know the guys background, but you  do you. Also, he has a 38-12 record as a head coach. See what I MEAN? I suggest you read more on some of the firsts he has also produced at that university.

Edited by DAG

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

Wasn't PM wrong on basically everything he said during the search last year? Maybe he's correct on this one though. Appreciate the info. Should be an interesting few weeks

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

See..some of that just sounds like an excuse (not saying it's you, just what "insiders" were saying).  Our assistant pool has to be pretty big.  We've never been afraid of spending money at Auburn.  Both Mason and Bobo are making big bucks.  We tried to hire a few really expensive WR/RB coaches before settling on the one we fired and Carnell.  I can't imagine the assistant pool being that much bigger than what we got...or what Harsin was shooting for.

The thing that sucks is this came out of left field. Guys like @e808 warned me and I didn't listen. I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the inconsistencies are killing me. My top choices was always Freeze then Napier. Let's pray we gain momentum and we have a turn around in year two. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

The thing that sucks is this came out of left field. Guys like @e808 warned me and I didn't listen. I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the inconsistencies are killing me. My top choices was always Freeze then Napier. Let's pray we gain momentum and we have a turn around in year two. 

I'm not sure I'm following...what came out of left field(Harsin?)/Give Harsin the benefit of the doubt & inconsistencies?  Sorry, I've drank a bottle and been up since 5am so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.

Cristobal was probably my #1, even though I still think he's an awful coach.  Talent wins out and he can recruit.

I was a fan of Napier too.

I really liked Harsin when hired.  Meh on some of his hires, but I'm not totally off yet.  If recruiting lags next year and we see similar stuff I'll be jumping off quick

• Like 2