Been a while my thoughts

austudnt23

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

It’s been said numerous times, the coaches and athletic department aren’t allowed to do this.   Everything falls on the individual.    Know the better question is why aren’t the money people showing up now.   They hid in the shadows for a long time, come on out make this money u.  

That is true, but there are things the school and the athletic department can do. They cannot act as an agent for the athlete, but they can act as an agent for the university. I do not believe there is any restriction on a university promoting its athletes (in general, not specific athletes) as providing worthwhile NIL opportunities. How else did Miami pull off that early deal with that local gym chain with all of its football team? That would over 100 individual negotiated contracts. They must have let the gym owner come to a team meeting and ask who was interested, or they got an email list, or something. Same thing for the Built Bar NIL deal with all of the walk-ons at BYU. That video showed the entire team gathered in some kind of meeting. That probably was coordinated with the help of the university.

2 minutes ago, meh130 said:

That is true, but there are things the school and the athletic department can do. They cannot act as an agent for the athlete, but they can act as an agent for the university. I do not believe there is any restriction on a university promoting its athletes (in general, not specific athletes) as providing worthwhile NIL opportunities. How else did Miami pull off that early deal with that local gym chain with all of its football team? That would over 100 individual negotiated contracts. They must have let the gym owner come to a team meeting and ask who was interested, or they got an email list, or something. Same thing for the Built Bar NIL deal with all of the walk-ons at BYU. That video showed the entire team gathered in some kind of meeting. That probably was coordinated with the help of the university.

There was that story about the ALC a few weeks back. Will that help our guys get better deals than freaking Milo's?

Edited by AUwent

37 minutes ago, meh130 said:

How else did Miami pull off that early deal with that local gym chain with all of its football team?

If I’m not mistaken, that guy was a graduate and when nil hit the market he immediately said he was giving the players money 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

maybe that is the key.   Dell McGee might be a name to think about.   

They should hire him in any capacity possible. And pay him a lot of money.

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I’m assuming you are talking to the other poster but I agree. It will be optic suicide to fire a coach after his first year in this manner, if you don’t have a home run hire in place. 

yeah  can you imagine firing malzhan after this year. OR we would have been stuck with him again. We would be competing against LSU & UF for coaches in addition to the others.

Edited by Randman5000

On 11/19/2021 at 5:28 PM, austudnt23 said:

This isnt about that Harsin hasn’t attempted to use the very very good tools he has at AU with regards to NIL. Does he need to be taught how?

Just getting to this now—we have good tools regarding NIL? That’s news to me.

I don't see Harsin fixing the program. You need better players to run the schemes he wants to run but you've got to be able to recruit at a high level so you can get those players. So far Harsin and his staff don't seem capable of recruiting well enough to fix things. It shouldn't take 3 years just to get the recruiting up in the top 20. As I stated earlier, both Chizik's 2010 class and Malzahn's 2014 class were top 10. It didn't take them 3 years to get recruiting at high level.

I hope the ptb pull the plug after next week. We can't afford to let the 2023 class be a repeat of the 2022 class and keep falling further and further behind. I disagree with 23 that we should get Kiffin. I don't want to pay big money to get Kiffen because his recruiting this year has been surprisingly down. Plus his in game coaching decisions are not very good and like others have stated have cost the team games.

I wanted him last year, Billy Napier at Louisiana. He can recruit. He develops players. We should have hired him last year. According to WarDamnEagleWDE, we didn't get him because he wanted more money than what we ended up paying Harsin. Yet it now looks like we wasted money on Harsin instead of paying a little more for guy we know who can recruit. I don't want to see Napier at LSU. We don't need Napier going to LSU and doing what Kirby's doing at UGA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I don't see Harsin fixing the program. You need better players to run the schemes he wants to run but you've got to be able to recruit at a high level so you can get those players. So far Harsin and his staff don't seem capable of recruiting well enough to fix things. It shouldn't take 3 years just to get the recruiting up in the top 20. As I stated earlier, both Chizik's 2010 class and Malzahn's 2014 class were top 10. It didn't take them 3 years to get recruiting at high level.

I hope the ptb pull the plug after next week. We can't afford to let the 2023 class be a repeat of the 2022 class and keep falling further and further behind. I disagree with 23 that we should get Kiffin. I don't want to pay big money to get Kiffen because his recruiting this year has been surprisingly down. Plus his in game coaching decisions are not very good and like others have stated have cost the team games.

I wanted him last year, Billy Napier at Louisiana. He can recruit. He develops players. We should have hired him last year. According to WarDamnEagleWDE, we didn't get him because he wanted more money than what we ended up paying Harsin. Yet it now looks like we wasted money on Harsin instead of paying a little more for guy we know who can recruit. I don't want to see Napier at LSU. We don't need Napier going to LSU and doing what Kirby's doing at UGA.

I am not an insider. Don't pretend to be. I know one family who is listed on the second donor page in the game program, and he backed Golf and others that are more connected about young Billy. He was never offered, and was never likely to be hired after a brief conversation. I heard several phrases used to describe him. Humble, polite, and  charismatic were not included in those phrases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I am not an insider. Don't pretend to be. I know one family who is listed on the second donor page in the game program, and he backed Golf and others that are more connected about young Billy. He was never offered, and was never likely to be hired after a brief conversation. I heard several phrases used to describe him. Humble, polite, and  charismatic were not included in those phrases. 

Some smoke that UF has hired Napier.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

He must be charismatic enough in recruiting to have the #1 Sun Belt classes each year. Louisiana didn't have #1 Sun Belt classes before Napier. He's literally built that program.

This is the type of crap arguments that drive me crazy with this fanbase. We're never going to hire a great coach because the fanbase doesn't want to. Harsin can't recruit in the SEC. He's not going to turn this around if he can't recruit at a high level. He recruited at Boise because Boise was already a brand and was built by Chris Petersen. Recruiting at Boise was easier. 

The same people saying that didn't want Kirby Smart back in 2012 are the same fans making excuses for whoever our current HC is because the SEC is tough now because of Kirby building a powerhouse at UGA. If you don't want to face these guys as competition, why didn't you want to hire them to keep that from happening?

Edited by Auburnfan91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

He must be charismatic enough in recruiting to have the #1 Sun Belt classes each year. Louisiana didn't have #1 Sun Belt classes before Napier. He's literally built that program.

This is the type of crap arguments that drive me crazy with this fanbase. We're never going to hire a great coach because the fanbase doesn't want to. Harsin can't recruit in the SEC. He's not going to turn this around if he can't recruit at a high level. He recruited at Boise because Boise was already a brand and was built by Chris Petersen. Recruiting at Boise was easier. 

The same people saying that didn't want Kirby Smart back in 2012 are the same fans making excuses for whoever our current HC is because the SEC is tough now because of Kirby building a powerhouse at UGA. If you don't want to face these guys as competition, why didn't you want to hire them to keep that from happening?

But but he won a lot of games at Boise. That was my argument those games were won off the back of what Peterson built. Boise sold itself. All he had to do was not screw it up. He didn’t have to rebuild anything.  It just irks me that he doesn’t even fight for the players on bad calls.

Just gotta hope corrections are made somewhere.

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

But but he won a lot of games at Boise. That was my argument those games were won off the back of what Peterson built. Boise sold itself. All he had to do was not screw it up. He didn’t have to rebuild anything.  It just irks me that he doesn’t even fight for the players on bad calls.

Just gotta hope corrections are made somewhere.

No way he could dog paddle for 7 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

No way he could dog paddle for 7 years.

How many teams are ranked in the MWC on a yearly bases. Matter of fact what decent coaches do they. Must of the coaches are retreads or using it as a training ground hoping to get better jobs. Food for thought 7 years with that great win percentage and no offers.

1 minute ago, e808 said:

How many teams are ranked in the MWC on a yearly bases. Matter of fact what decent coaches do they. Must of the coaches are retreads or using it as a training ground hoping to get better jobs. Food for thought 7 years with that great win percentage and no offers.

We have no idea how many offers he has had behind the scenes. Usually begin with the agents I read. Supposedly in consideration for another job now.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

We have no idea how many offers he has had behind the scenes. Usually begin with the agents I read. Supposedly in consideration for another job now.

Ok let me put it like this all these power 5 vacancies if he had an offer u telling me he wouldn’t take it 

1 minute ago, e808 said:

Ok let me put it like this all these power 5 vacancies if he had an offer u telling me he wouldn’t take it 

If I did you wouldn’t believe it anyway. I think he is a good coach even though I don’t agree with all the play calls this year but believe he will put it together if he gets an opportunity. (IMO)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

If I did you wouldn’t believe it anyway. I think he is a good coach even though I don’t agree with all the play calls this year but believe he will put it together if he gets an opportunity. (IMO)

Last point of discussion Oregon picked Cristobal over him and Harsin had a better win percentage. Exactly what qualifies him as a good coach. Is that just being able to hold a good press conference. IJS

On 11/18/2021 at 12:55 PM, aubaseball said:

Tank has a case of the fumbleitis.  Not sure if that’s a case of aggravation because the run game has disappeared or lack of ball security.   Either way,  I think he is going to fumble every time he runs.   

As far as Saban and Alabama fans, no one panicked or was upset because they lost to ULM because Saban had recruiting already dialed in.   Fans knew that given a year or two and Alabama would be back to winning.   

Not true. That first year for Saban, they didn't have the early signing period, so fans had no clue until February what kind of class they were going to have. There were plenty of fans gnashing bc Saban lost his last 4 or 5 games that year, and wondered if they hired the best coach.

He did prove after signing day, and on, but that first year up till February was iffy with their fans...

2 hours ago, e808 said:

Last point of discussion Oregon picked Cristobal over him and Harsin had a better win percentage. Exactly what qualifies him as a good coach. Is that just being able to hold a good press conference. IJS

Cristobal was chosen for the Saban connection rather than Harsin’s deficits (IMO). His record and his other coaching stops. He has a great deal more going for him than the Louisiana coach that everyone is raving about.

• Like 1

So do we know exactly why MC fell through besides Covid? Seeing Florida possibly land BN I am concerned at our prospects next time we're looking. I'm really hoping for the pod scheduling and for DSOR to move to a semi-annual rivalry if that's truly what's hurting us.

Edited by AUwent

7 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Mullin is also known as an ass. Why don't we hire him? I do not disagree with you about Kirby. But he would have been at UGA whenever they called. At least that was what my guy said. But you may know something I don't. By the way, if I was TPTB at AU, and I fired Harsin today, who would you have me hire? And I'm not saying I wouldn't fire him if you can find me a replacement. The last three games have been tough.

Edited by JuscAUse!

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

So do we know exactly why MC fell through besides Covid? Seeing Florida possibly land BN I am concerned at our prospects next time we're looking. I'm really hoping for the pod scheduling and for DSOR to move to a semi-annual rivalry if that's truly what's hurting us.

Lots and lots of money? Loyalty to a team he suddenly had playing for a conference championship? And not having to win 10 games a year to keep making that same massive amount of money? NIL and his major money man? Off the top of my head, that's all I can come up with. 

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Mullin is also known as an ass. Why don't we hire him? I do not disagree with you about Kirby. But he would have been at UGA whenever they called. At least that was what my guy said. But you may know something I don't. By the way, if I was TPTB at AU, and I fired Harsin today, who would you have me hire? And I'm not saying I wouldn't fire him if you can find me a replacement. The last three games have been tough.

Napier is my #1 choice although it may be too late now even if we pull the plug on Harsin. We should have hired Napier last year. Now he's a hot commodity and we'd have to pay even more for him this year than what he wanted last year. 

On 12/22/2020 at 9:12 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I like the hire. I’ve been very critical of Greene for a while but he damn sure saved AU from hiring Steele. 

It’s past time to move on from the good ole boy network. 

Also, Napier and Clark never got offers. Napier wanted 6 plus million and AU laughed at him and moved on. Clark called and asked to be interviewed. As far as that went. 

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/174224-welcome-to-the-plains-coach-harsin-merged/?do=findComment&comment=3328551

According to WarDamnEagleWDE, Napier wanted $6 million and we passed on him last year. I'd be willing to bet it's going to take $7 million this year to land Napier since multiple big name SEC schools have him as a target. Jimmy Sexton is Napier's agent. So Napier is going to get $$$ whoever lands him this year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

According to WarDamnEagleWDE, Napier wanted $6 million and we passed on him last year. I'd be willing to bet it's going to take $7 million this year to land Napier since multiple big name SEC schools have him as a target. Jimmy Sexton is Napier's agent. So Napier is going to get $$$ whoever lands him this year.

Gonna look really dumb if we balked on BN over 1mm a year and he turns out good. Idk how he would have done this year, but I think we're all pretty certain we be in a much better position with out 22 class.

Don't think Harsin's a complete bust yet. Can't have more of the same next year, I'll wait to fully jump off the bus next season

Edited by W.E.D

7 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Napier is my #1 choice although it may be too late now even if we pull the plug on Harsin. We should have hired Napier last year. Now he's a hot commodity and we'd have to pay even more for him this year than what he wanted last year. 

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/174224-welcome-to-the-plains-coach-harsin-merged/?do=findComment&comment=3328551

We didn't even talk to Napier last year he wasnt even interviewed 🤷 I don't understand why people keep bringing it up like we did, im not the only one who's said this either. @augolf1716@bigbird has also said it along with others. 

• Thanks 1