Been a while my thoughts

austudnt23

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

we do not need another bobby lowder type

I want to agree with you. Hate that I'm saying it, but I've accepted it. No organization can function efficiently without leadership and some semblance of unity. Just the way it goes. For better or worse, people respected and feared Lowder and fell in line. Right now it's a mess

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right but we aren’t there yet, so to keep attributing us as Tennessee is disingenuous at best . At least let us have one losing season before applying that qualifier . Those schools have had multiple losing seasons continuing now.  

Are you still defending CBH i haven’t read through the thread i dont need too. Good coaches dont have teams regress mid season sorry. Im not taking a shot either im just saying the fans can demand this. Put the administrative powers on notice that a football team of this caliber will not be tolerated. The boosters already did this. Harsin was a bad hire and Greene had the right hire out of Oregon and blew it so he referred back to an old buddy that went swimming with him one time. AU taking a coach from Boise thinking he can come down here and recruit with the big boys was laughable 

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

Are you still defending CBH i haven’t read through the thread i dont need too. Good coaches dont have teams regress mid season sorry. Im not taking a shot either im just saying the fans can demand this. Put the administrative powers on notice that a football team of this caliber will not be tolerated. The boosters already did this. Harsin was a bad hire and Greene had the right hire out of Oregon and blew it so he referred back to an old buddy that went swimming with him one time. AU taking a coach from Boise thinking he can come down here and recruit with the big boys was laughable 

Find where I defended CBH? Go find and quote it for me. Maybe you should start reading more and before jumping out the window. I am frustrated as anyone on here. 

Edited by DAG

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Find where I defended CBH? I quoted wrong person sorry.  One thing i forgot to mention Saban on the down swing. Now is the time AU could grab hold and we need a coach that can take us there.

5 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:
8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Find where I defended CBH? I quoted wrong person sorry.  One thing i forgot to mention Saban on the down swing. Now is the time AU could grab hold and we need a coach that can take us there.

How is he on the down swing ?

6 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:
9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lane has made bad coaching decisions during games that have cost him too. Everything is always greener.

Getting rid of a coach after a first year would be asinine. I get it l, is your opinion but it's not a smart move. The smarter move is getting our act together in attracting recruits. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Lane has made bad coaching decisions during games that have cost him too. Everything is always greener.

Getting rid of a coach after a first year would be asinine. I get it l, is your opinion but it's not a smart move. The smarter move is getting our act together in attracting recruits. 

I’m assuming you are talking to the other poster but I agree. It will be optic suicide to fire a coach after his first year in this manner, if you don’t have a home run hire in place. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’m assuming you are talking to the other poster but I agree. It will be optic suicide to fire a coach after his first year in this manner, if you don’t have a home run hire in place. 

We would never do that. Ever. Nobody would want to work for the University that fired their coach after a year (unless there were other issues besides coaching). 
We will give him another year or two to turn it around. He deserves it.
The biggest concern out of all of this is recruiting. We may lose some games this year, but if we don’t start recruiting big-time players ASAP, we will never compete. We are already behind in a big way. Having two transitional recruiting classes in a row will cripple us, especially after what Gus left us at WR and OL. 

• Like 3

Just now, gr82b4au said:

We would never do that. Ever. Nobody would want to work for the University that fired their coach after a year (unless there were other issues besides coaching). 
We will give him another year or two to turn it around. He deserves it.
The biggest concern out of all of this is recruiting. We may lose some games this year, but if we don’t start recruiting big-time players ASAP, we will never compete. We are already behind in a big way. Having two transitional recruiting classes in a row will cripple us, especially after what Gus left us at WR and OL. 

Yeah the recruiting scares me. You can't not win games you are suppose to win and have weak recruiting too. I am highly disappointed....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So is there any hope for us over the next decade? Are we just fated to become a bottom feeder, nothing we can do?

https://collegefootballnews.com/2016/08/ap-all-time-college-football-rankings-best-teams-2000s

A 110-19 record during a decade isn't exactly what I'd call "hasn't been relevant other than one good season."

Texas played weak schedules and lost almost every single relevant game in those 19 losses. Look at the record vs OU. Most years, that was their only meaningful game. 

3 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Texas played weak schedules and lost almost every single relevant game in those 19 losses. Look at the record vs OU. Most years, that was their only meaningful game. 

The Big 12 then was not the Big 12 of now. It was a pretty strong conference. They put up a respectable 4-6 record against the Sooners in that stretch. I won't deny they could've done better but to say that they've been irrelevant outside 2005 is asinine.

Edited by AUwent

41 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Actually he can if he wanted too. Dont tell me if He wanted to get an AU player in an apple advertisement or commercial or whatever he couldn’t. Problem is he liked Gus and Harsin doesn't even try with big money alum. Maybe last night will help people demand for what they want now. I told you the fans can force the decision. Just seeing empty seats at home games all year long should be enough to get something rolling. As much as i wanted to win last night what happened is probably the best thing for Auburn football. We were a right outside of top ten team after ole miss. This team has regressed and who is to blame for that. I was accused of posting a hit piece last week now when we finish with a blow out loss to bama maybe we can get something done. Mullen just fired btw. There is only one fix to this problem coaching wise we better get a move on. LK will choose AU over UF but will out administration move in time?

You're sounding a lot like austudent22 from TOS. If that's who you are, then these posts are reason for worry. Perhaps UW will make the decision for us on CBH. 

20 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I can’t remember a coach coming in to Auburn and recruiting as poorly as Harsin in his first couple of years.  New coach has hope and security to sell.  That’s more concerning to me than the blown lead, GSU meltdown, or some of the boneheaded playcalls.  UF, LSU, and Clemson are all having down years…we need to be kicking butt.

This is a really good point. However, previous coaches had connections to the area. Dye had been an assistant at Alabama, and to be honest, recruiting was different back then. Bowden had been at Samford, and retained some of Dye's staff, including DC Wayne Hall. Tubberville was at Ole Miss. Chizik was a former Auburn assistant, as was Malzahn.

I do not know if Alan Greene or the committee gave serious thought to bringing an out of geography candidate in, in the middle of a pandemic, which limited recruiting, was a risky proposition.

The style of recruiting in the Mountain West is different too. You have to do significant out of state recruiting, and then there is the fact Group of 5 recruiting is totally different than Power 5 recruiting.

In theory, these are the gaps that Mason, Bobo, Cadillac, Zach Ethridge, and Cornelius Williams were supposed to address. However, Mason, by being the former Vanderbilt head coach, was recruiting more like a Group of 5 team would.

The other weird thing is usually a new coach overperforms expectations in their first year. Change often creates momentum. It looked that way for a while, then things have gone south. There are plenty of complaints about our coordinators, but they are the necessary links to local geography recruiting. And increasingly, you need to recruit strongly within a 250 mile radius because most athletes today want to play where their parents can come to every home game.

• Like 1

What if Auburn pulled an Arkansas and hired someone that no one was looking to get.   And what if that person was currently coaching on a rivalry team?   

maybe that is the key.   Dell McGee might be a name to think about.   

53 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Actually he can if he wanted too. Dont tell me if He wanted to get an AU player in an apple advertisement or commercial or whatever he couldn’t. Problem is he liked Gus and Harsin doesn't even try with big money alum. Maybe last night will help people demand for what they want now. I told you the fans can force the decision. Just seeing empty seats at home games all year long should be enough to get something rolling. As much as i wanted to win last night what happened is probably the best thing for Auburn football. We were a right outside of top ten team after ole miss. This team has regressed and who is to blame for that. I was accused of posting a hit piece last week now when we finish with a blow out loss to bama maybe we can get something done. Mullen just fired btw. There is only one fix to this problem coaching wise we better get a move on. LK will choose AU over UF but will out administration move in time?

I really want you to be right. Because if you are I feel much more hopeful about our ability to get a good coach. But I'm against firing Harsin after this year. Do you really think LK would choose Auburn over Florida? Like, isn't Florida a more prestigious program with better boosters? Based off some of what I see on this thread we're better suited for some mid-major conference, since we don't have any big-name boosters that can prop us up with NIL deals like A&M and Oregon can.

Edited by AUwent

49 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Jesus man he can't. He can use Apple to prop up Auburn, it isn't his company. 

Now we should have every player sponsored by Yellawood. Jimmy can do that bc it's his company 

• Sad 1

Unfortunately, this is not the first time Auburn has let the program get into a nose dive. I hate to be the one to pile on but it's going to get alot worse before it gets better. Until or unless Auburn decides to pony up and get THAT guy to run the program, this is the best Auburn will be in football.

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

What if Auburn pulled an Arkansas and hired someone that no one was looking to get

We kinda just did that 

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We kinda just did that 

Oddly enough at least one Arky fan wanted Sam from the get go (see description).

Sam WAS to my knowledge a very good assistant at Georgia and therefore with lots of connections o the south. Granted, I doubt we would want Matt Luke when the time comes next year or the year after that.

BTW, 6:28 of this video describes us exactly right now.

Edited by AUwent

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

What if Auburn pulled an Arkansas and hired someone that no one was looking to get.   And what if that person was currently coaching on a rivalry team?   

maybe that is the key.   Dell McGee might be a name to think about.   

What about for a coordinator position?

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

There is absolutely no way he can do this. It isn't his company, he's just the CEO. He has to answer to the board and a variety of others. It's not like Nike where Phil Knight founded it.

You are missing my point. I wasn't saying some kind of exclusive deal with Auburn only. I am saying university students are a major target market for Apple. And if you look at Apple's ads, they almost exclusively feature young, fit, active people, so college athletes would be a natural fit for things like print ads. The one thing I see is Apple avoids localized ads, and university athletes are inherently local.

2 minutes ago, meh130 said:

You are missing my point. I wasn't saying some kind of exclusive deal with Auburn only. I am saying university students are a major target market for Apple. And if you look at Apple's ads, they almost exclusively feature young, fit, active people, so college athletes would be a natural fit for things like print ads. The one thing I see is Apple avoids localized ads, and university athletes are inherently local.

Right and Cook can't use the company he runs as piggy bank for Auburn. That's so damn fsr outside of ethical practices it's just silly. 

He'd have to do a national campaign and at best it would have one AU player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t agree with the hire from the jump but so much emphasis was but on a bloated winning percentage. So moving forward gotta  see what happens. This seems like an OJT season in which we all know MWC is much different than the SEC. The concerning part isn’t the losing is what’s contributing to the losses is what I can’t get over

If Tim Cook founded Apple and was a majority shareholder, yall might have a point 

• Like 1