The West may have gotten a lot tougher....

TigerHorn

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I know Norman, OK isn't exactly fifth avenue, but I couldn't begin to dream of a scenario where I would leave there for that mosquito infested hole that is Baton Rouge. It's a swamp with some bridges built over it. The septic tank of the South.

Good food. Some nice folks- about 358 days of the year. 😉

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Good food. Some nice folks- about 358 days of the year. 😉

LOL, yeah. I've spent a lot of time in East Baton Rouge Parrish back in my younger days. It's ok for a visit, but wouldn't want to live there. I spent some time in East Texas as well a few years back. It became a running joke amongst the work crew that no one had to tell you when you crossed the state line back into Louisiana from Texas. Anyway, enough said. 

44 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I can't wait to bag on you in a few years when Harsin is winning.

A key to your statement: “A few years”

Agree, just need two or three more steller recruiting classes.

Guest MustardSeed
32 minutes ago, metafour said:

Because it's a better job.

Oklahoma's entire allure stems from consistent Top 5-10 finishes by way of dominating a crap conference wherein their biggest threat is a program that can't stop tripping over themselves (Texas). These finishes fuel their ability to recruit nationally, but they face a very real possibility of washing out and getting lost in the SEC. This year's Oklahoma team has 1 loss and would have had probably at least 3 more had they been playing an SEC schedule. Their home-state is not a HS football stronghold so what exactly is their selling point once they enter the SEC and start losing ~3-4 games a year? The strong football state of Louisiana offers LSU a set and consistent amount of yearly talent, and they already have inroads to one of Oklahoma's big recruiting grounds anyway (Texas).

Oklahoma has history/tradition, but one needs to understand that their win/loss "dominance" which allows them to draw recruits simply isn't going to translate once they enter the SEC. Does anyone think that program is just going to walk in here and win 10-11+ games a year? They're seemingly being tested on a weekly basis by teams that are nowhere near them in talent already. In the SEC those close games will turn into losses - and national recruits aren't going to be jumping up and down to come play for an ~8-9 win Oklahoma team. I'm not saying that they can't have good seasons or compete in the SEC, but schools like Oklahoma and Notre Dame thrive by being able to EASILY win ~10+ games a year which grants them publicity and access to national recruits. Oklahoma in the SEC is just another potentially "good to very good" program.

His talent at LSU would be similar to what he has there. Whatever he’s capable of doing at LSU he’s capable of doing at OK and won’t have to move and live in nowhere swampville. OK can match the money LSU can give out.  I still don’t see it at all. But that’s just my opinion and could very well be wrong 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Because it's a better job.

Oklahoma's entire allure stems from consistent Top 5-10 finishes by way of dominating a crap conference wherein their biggest threat is a program that can't stop tripping over themselves (Texas). These finishes fuel their ability to recruit nationally, but they face a very real possibility of washing out and getting lost in the SEC. This year's Oklahoma team has 1 loss and would have had probably at least 3 more had they been playing an SEC schedule. Their home-state is not a HS football stronghold so what exactly is their selling point once they enter the SEC and start losing ~3-4 games a year? The strong football state of Louisiana offers LSU a set and consistent amount of yearly talent, and they already have inroads to one of Oklahoma's big recruiting grounds anyway (Texas).

Oklahoma has history/tradition, but one needs to understand that their win/loss "dominance" which allows them to draw recruits simply isn't going to translate once they enter the SEC. Does anyone think that program is just going to walk in here and win 10-11+ games a year? They're seemingly being tested on a weekly basis by teams that are nowhere near them in talent already. In the SEC those close games will turn into losses - and national recruits aren't going to be jumping up and down to come play for an ~8-9 win Oklahoma team. I'm not saying that they can't have good seasons or compete in the SEC, but schools like Oklahoma and Notre Dame thrive by being able to EASILY win ~10+ games a year which grants them publicity and access to national recruits. Oklahoma in the SEC is just another potentially "good to very good" program.

I'll take Oklahoma being brought down a peg or two when they enter the SEC.

Edited by AUwent

If Missouri and TAMU can come into the SEC and compete, even playing for the SEC title(Missouri) then I think OK and TX can. While I will agree the west is more difficult than the east, it isn't some unyeilding thing that can't be beaten. Oklahoma has even played and beaten SEC west teams. I just don't get the whole "SEC is leaps and bounds better" argument. 

Auburn will have to contend with Lincoln Riley soon enough. Unless something changes, Auburn will be pushed further and further behind. Hopefully the PTB will gets their heads in order and commit to wining at the highest level. 

3 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I can't wait to bag on you in a few years when Harsin is winning.

I would love to be bagged on in that scenario!

Edited by AUwent

Highly unlikely to me just with how incestuous LSU coaching searches typically tend to be and how they always have these grand notions and end up settling for scraps. BUT, they got new blood in the front office so who knows 

Anyone downplaying Riley is mental though. If Riley continues their usual recruiting and gets an Aranda or Kevin Steele type guy who's basically a SEC HC at DC, you're gonna have the OU that put up crazy numbers on 2017 UGA and 2018 (?) UA with top 5 NFL talent on D. LSU has been the second best program in the West (second closest to consistently good, at least) since 08 with far less than what Lincoln brings 

I have a few OU friends and they were all in agreement that Riley has a high likelihood of jumping ship before the university joins the SEC. One friend in particular goes to many of their donor activities and the talk is that Riley likes the elevation in status the SEC will provide OU but worries about the grind of the schedule. Heck, that is the love/hate relationship of every member of the SEC. Welcome to our conference!

From their perspective, Lincoln always had a tendency to stay in his comfort zones which often translates to lopsided teams which makes them frustratingly vulnerable, i.e., offense heavy and defense lacking. However, in my opinion that's the case with a lot of coaches. Kirby Smart, for example, will most likely always be a defensive minded coach vs. offense but that's why good HCs hire top assistants to create balance, if they can get out of their own way. 

I have no clue if Riley is going to LSU but what is for certain is that both OU and LSU will be in the SEC in 2025 and I wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to position himself in the best scenario to win. OU has a pipeline to TX and donors and so does LSU but with a multiplier. Norman is truly meh and Baton Rouge is well Baton Rouge. 

Whether OU will do well in the SEC is based on a lot of variables. Timing is everything, therefore, their entrance impact would depend on how their new SEC peers are doing. Getting a jump start by joining LSU is understandable. 

Edited by AU_Canoe

15 hours ago, woodford said:

Oklahoma is a more prestigious and historically great program compared to LSU. LSU is a top 15 program like us. Oklahoma is a top 3 or 5 depending who you ask.

I would stay at Oklahoma but then again I'll never be a FBS HC.

We're a top 15 program???    :nanner:  :yay::clap:

15 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

His talent at LSU would be similar to what he has there. Whatever he’s capable of doing at LSU he’s capable of doing at OK and won’t have to move and live in nowhere swampville. OK can match the money LSU can give out.  I still don’t see it at all. But that’s just my opinion and could very well be wrong 🤷‍♂️

But you're missing the point: you're comparing the talent he'd have at LSU to what they have at Oklahoma NOW, but what he has at Oklahoma NOW isn't guaranteed to be the norm or expectation for them once they enter the SEC and start inevitably losing more games. Read my post again. If he takes the LSU job, it will be because he's utilizing foresight and planning ahead. Oklahoma is a recruiting destination NOW because it's not difficult for them to win ~11 games a year and be in contention for the Playoffs by way of simply not facing many teams that can beat them. This means that they earn a lot of media attention, no different than Notre Dame. Once they enter the SEC and start losing some games, what makes them any different from any of the other "good" to "better" programs that are already here? They have the prestige of an elite program because of their yearly win/loss record, but once they start losing games in this conference they will just be another fish in a very big and dangerous pond. It becomes much harder to recruit nationally under those parameters.

LSU is a very good job because there is a ton of talent in that state that is primed to go there regardless of what Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Texas A&M etc. are doing.

Edited by metafour

LSU will hire someone nobody ever saw coming.  They're not a great program to take as a head coach at the moment.  Yes, they have talent, but that team is so broken...

6 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

LSU will hire someone nobody ever saw coming.  They're not a great program to take as a head coach at the moment.  Yes, they have talent, but that team is so broken...

This is nothing more than wishful thinking. In what way are they "so broken"? By definition, any team that is firing their HC is "broken"...otherwise the wouldn't be making a change. Their instate recruits are extremely loyal - if you look at the fallout, most of their recruits are still committed even with it being announced that Orgeron is out. LSU is an extremely attractive job for a wide variety of reasons. Their AD has a history of big-name and splash hires - his M.O. is to pay big money to high-visibility candidates. Even if they don't land Lincoln Riley, don't expect them to gravitate far off the list of "name" candidates. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

It is a great job AND Scott Woodward has a history of paying top dollar for coaches & he is willing to give the staff anything they need to be successful.  LSU has a home-grown talent base with zero in state competition.  They appear broken because Orgeron let his ego take precedent and he got lazy with this coordinator hires the last 2 yrs.  But their recruiting class hasn't faltered because Louisiana talent wants to play at LSU.

Woodward will pay big and he will get a better pedigree of HC than Alleva got when he promoted his dline coach to HC (Orgeron) at a bargain basement salary.  

• Like 1

I don’t know why they wouldn’t go after Dave Aranda?  He has Baylor rolling.  Lincoln Riley makes zero sense.  Also Oklahoma will be fine in the SEC.  

53 minutes ago, metafour said:

But you're missing the point: you're comparing the talent he'd have at LSU to what they have at Oklahoma NOW, but what he has at Oklahoma NOW isn't guaranteed to be the norm or expectation for them once they enter the SEC and start inevitably losing more games. Read my post again. If he takes the LSU job, it will be because he's utilizing foresight and planning ahead. Oklahoma is a recruiting destination NOW because it's not difficult for them to win ~11 games a year and be in contention for the Playoffs by way of simply not facing many teams that can beat them. This means that they earn a lot of media attention, no different than Notre Dame. Once they enter the SEC and start losing some games, what makes them any different from any of the other "good" to "better" programs that are already here? They have the prestige of an elite program because of their yearly win/loss record, but once they start losing games in this conference they will just be another fish in a very big and dangerous pond. It becomes much harder to recruit nationally under those parameters.

LSU is a very good job because there is a ton of talent in that state that is primed to go there regardless of what Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Texas A&M etc. are doing.

I'm thinking they'd be the next Nebraska....?  You're not wrong.

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I'm thinking they'd be the next Nebraska....?  You're not wrong.

No, definitely not that. I expect them to still be an obvious threat, but I expect it to get much tougher for them. They have a lot of resources and a lot of name recognition plus some built in access to Texas, so I don't expect them to fall off like Nebraska or anything. If LSU is actually throwing around $12 mill a year or whatever, then I can see why Riley would take that job. LSU is a proven program in this conference already with a really strong natural recruiting base.

19 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Reports I’ve seen claim the people in Austin believe it will happen in 2023…that it’s going to best for all parties to go ahead and make the move. Of course it’s just rumors so who knows

Same as I heard a few months ago, while I trust the person that told me, you have no reason to trust the second hand information that I found intriguing.  

I'm more worried about Texas A&M stocking up on talent equal to Bama and UGA right now. 

LSU is and has always recruited well, now it's looking like aTm and Jimo may be getting up to a similar level, at least this year they are.