The West may have gotten a lot tougher....

TigerHorn

Guest MustardSeed

Well that would just put him in the SEC about a year early (most expect that conference realignment to happen early like 2023). He’s not that great at Oklahoma though. Their schedule is an absolute cakewalk compared to the SEC West and he can’t seem to get through it unscathed. Of course he’s probably better than Coach O but OK may step backwards (one can hope)

Guest MustardSeed

On another note…why in the world would he take that job?  If he just stays where he is he’ll be in the SEC in 2 years tops anyways…and Baton Rouge isn’t exactly a dream location. Probably just playing OK for more money. Unless of course there are issues at OK in which case him bringing issues to LSU and leaving OK with issues is a win win for us 😂

17 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Well that would just put him in the SEC about a year early (most expect that conference realignment to happen early like 2023). He’s not that great at Oklahoma though. Their schedule is an absolute cakewalk compared to the SEC West and he can’t seem to get through it unscathed. Of course he’s probably better than Coach O but OK may step backwards (one can hope)

I'm just assuming that they wait out the remainder of their contract. I could be wrong, just going to believe it when I see it. I would definitely be pleased to see them join early.

Talley my vote as "No" for thinking Riley leaves OK. Zero reason to with OK coming to SEC and Riley basically doing whatever he wants there. He's won 2 Heismans, been in the playoff hunt 3 years, basically owns the rivalry with UT, has ties to the Midwest, and has been rumored as an NFL coach prospect. 

• Like 3

I know Norman, OK isn't exactly fifth avenue, but I couldn't begin to dream of a scenario where I would leave there for that mosquito infested hole that is Baton Rouge. It's a swamp with some bridges built over it. The septic tank of the South.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lincoln Riley does not worry me. I know , I know but what about the talent he will have at LSU. IMO,

on the offensive end he would have just as much talent at OU. Also, OU is moving to the SEC. It would be bizarre to make a move like that but who knows.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
33 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'm just assuming that they wait out the remainder of their contract. I could be wrong, just going to believe it when I see it. I would definitely be pleased to see them join early.

Reports I’ve seen claim the people in Austin believe it will happen in 2023…that it’s going to best for all parties to go ahead and make the move. Of course it’s just rumors so who knows

Currently, Oklahoma has four 5-star (three commits from CA) and three 4-star commits in the 2023 class.

Some of them could be LSU flips, combined with LSU’s 2022 class and 2023 potentials, that looks scary to me.

When a flipping Cave Man and a Crazy (pervert) Uncle can win NC’s at LSU, then a young, energetic and well liked guy like Lincoln Riley can as well.

We’ll get a dose of him in the SEC either way.

Like I said in the original post, just a wild rumor at this point, but the sources seem to be LSU PTB. Doesn't make sense to me either, but have you ever been to Oklahoma? Being close to ANY major metro, even NO, might look better to him after a few years in Norman. 

Oklahoma is a more prestigious and historically great program compared to LSU. LSU is a top 15 program like us. Oklahoma is a top 3 or 5 depending who you ask.

I would stay at Oklahoma but then again I'll never be a FBS HC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

I know Norman, OK isn't exactly fifth avenue, but I couldn't begin to dream of a scenario where I would leave there for that mosquito infested hole that is Baton Rouge. It's a swamp with some bridges built over it. The septic tank of the South.

They're both great jobs, so I really don't see why he'd leave OK unless OK is somehow getting tired of him. 

@keesler: I'm just soooo eager for the SEC to announce how they're going to do scheduling. It's possible we benefit from the move depending on how it shakes out.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, woodford said:

Oklahoma is a more prestigious and historically great program compared to LSU. LSU is a top 15 program like us. Oklahoma is a top 3 or 5 depending who you ask.

I would stay at Oklahoma but then again I'll never be a FBS HC.

I’m not sure I’d put Okie over LSU if we are talking all time history and all. Lots of folks rank the LSU job as top 5 for a reason. 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m not sure I’d put Okie over LSU if we are talking all time history and all. Lots of folks rank the LSU job as top 5 for a reason. 

Oklahoma is definitely better in terms of all-time history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

On another note…why in the world would he take that job?  If he just stays where he is he’ll be in the SEC in 2 years tops anyways…and Baton Rouge isn’t exactly a dream location. Probably just playing OK for more money. Unless of course there are issues at OK in which case him bringing issues to LSU and leaving OK with issues is a win win for us 😂

That’s what I am thinking. Another coach about to get overpaid to not win. 

Wondering when LSU or UF will go all out for AU’s Harsin? I mean with him being so good and up-and-coming and all. Any idea when they will offer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m sure they do. I rank jobs differently than most people. Not trying to sound like I’m unique I just believe in opportunities at jobs. There’s so many factors at play. I could argue all day that Texas is a better gig than Alabama. Which program has been borderline average for nearly 15 years now?

Clemson vs Southern Cal. Who has won more recently? See, it’s not always what it seems surface level. Each popular or well known CFB program have their own unique opportunities. I don’t think there’s a single best one. It’s a dumb argument really. It’s like MJ vs LBJ. Just a silly bar debate. 

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Wondering when LSU or UF will go all out for AU’s Harsin? I mean with him being so good and up-and-coming and all. Any idea when they will offer?

Why would they? 

13 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I can't wait to bag on you in a few years when Harsin is winning.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

Remember all the rumors in Auburn's HC search? This could just be that, but for LSU.

Scott Woodward will make a good hire and he’ll be willing to pay a mint to whomever he’s courting.  

2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Because it's a better job.

Oklahoma's entire allure stems from consistent Top 5-10 finishes by way of dominating a crap conference wherein their biggest threat is a program that can't stop tripping over themselves (Texas). These finishes fuel their ability to recruit nationally, but they face a very real possibility of washing out and getting lost in the SEC. This year's Oklahoma team has 1 loss and would have had probably at least 3 more had they been playing an SEC schedule. Their home-state is not a HS football stronghold so what exactly is their selling point once they enter the SEC and start losing ~3-4 games a year? The strong football state of Louisiana offers LSU a set and consistent amount of yearly talent, and they already have inroads to one of Oklahoma's big recruiting grounds anyway (Texas).

Oklahoma has history/tradition, but one needs to understand that their win/loss "dominance" which allows them to draw recruits simply isn't going to translate once they enter the SEC. Does anyone think that program is just going to walk in here and win 10-11+ games a year? They're seemingly being tested on a weekly basis by teams that are nowhere near them in talent already. In the SEC those close games will turn into losses - and national recruits aren't going to be jumping up and down to come play for an ~8-9 win Oklahoma team. I'm not saying that they can't have good seasons or compete in the SEC, but schools like Oklahoma and Notre Dame thrive by being able to EASILY win ~10+ games a year which grants them publicity and access to national recruits. Oklahoma in the SEC is just another potentially "good to very good" program.