A more reasoned perspective.......

homersapien

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yes, with a new roster in a new conference installing new schemes and working together for the first time. Go look up the articles from the off-season and media days where he talked about guys showing up late to workouts or not showing at all, and thinking it was ok. Much improvement is needed in our program, but whether we like it or not it will take time. Stepped back big last week. Need to step up the next two weeks. 

Doesn't make sense. Good enough, driven enough, focused enough to absolutely curb stomp MSU for 28 minutes. But apparently that was a fluke, is what you're saying.

Guys. Just call a spade a spade. We witnessed a coaching collapse the likes of which Auburn has never seen. Cope with it. Don't tell me we don't have the horses to hold off MSU from scoring 40 unanswered. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

36 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Doesn't make sense. Good enough, driven enough, focused enough to absolutely curb stomp MSU for 28 minutes. But apparently that was a fluke, is what you're saying.

Guys. Just call a spade a spade. We witnessed a coaching collapse the likes of which Auburn has never seen. Cope with it. Don't tell me we don't have the horses to hold off MSU from scoring 40 unanswered. 

It’s crazy how some can’t acknowledge a spade being a spade and has come with every excuse imaginable. It doesn’t mean he should be fired but something to make note of and see how things go moving forward .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm not really seeing the big-picture stuff. I see a wussy offensive line, Bobo working around a qb who suddenly can't scramble- who also has a flare for throwing 5 yard passes on 3rd and 15, and Mason turning in a game that he's never forgiven for. He stunk it up. Might have sealed his fate but I wouldn't know. To me this is CDM's version of Auburn at Baton Rouge in 2017. I personally will never let it go, and as long as he's at Auburn this game will be underscored in our thinking.

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Im not denying the collapse at all. It was horrible. But your logic rings true the other way. How were our coaches good enough and prepared enough to jump out to a 28-3 lead if they're not good coaches. The collapse was coaching, players, and culture. The coaches didn’t commit the 5 or 6 penalties that keep drives alive or fail to block on the FG attempt or allow Tank to get hit in the backfield all day. To lay all of the blame on the coaches is as short sighted as laying the blame all on the players. Minus 2 magical seasons we’ve been a very mediocre program for a decade now, and we have to get right with the coaching, players, and culture to elevate to a perennial contender. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Im not denying the collapse at all. It was horrible. But your logic rings true the other way. How were our coaches good enough and prepared enough to jump out to a 28-3 lead if they're not good coaches. The collapse was coaching, players, and culture. The coaches didn’t commit the 5 or 6 penalties that keep drives alive or fail to block on the FG attempt or allow Tank to get hit in the backfield all day. To lay all of the blame on the coaches is as short sighted as laying the blame all on the players. Minus 2 magical seasons we’ve been a very mediocre program for a decade now, and we have to get right with the coaching, players, and culture to elevate to a perennial contender. 

Thank you Gwebb!!!!someone with a true reasoned opinion.    To place blame solely on coaches or solely on players is misplaced.   It was a complete breakdown across the board.   

Hell, Auburn can’t even find a lead cheerleader that is in shape.   Completely embarrassing!

Let’s get this straight the players and culture are responsible for the loss when u have coaches on the sidelines getting paid millions to make adjustments and out them in the best position possible. The player supposed to make their own calls on offense, own adjustments on defense, called a fake punt on 4 and 10, and decided to roll Bo out on one leg for a two pt conversation. The penalty on Moultry was BS. The special teams has been getting penalties all year so who does that fall upon. The players can’t adjustment themselves that’s what the coaches get paid for.

23 minutes ago, e808 said:

Let’s get this straight the players and culture are responsible for the loss when u have coaches on the sidelines getting paid millions to make adjustments and out them in the best position possible. The player supposed to make their own calls on offense, own adjustments on defense, called a fake punt on 4 and 10, and decided to roll Bo out on one leg for a two pt conversation. The penalty on Moultry was BS. The special teams has been getting penalties all year so who does that fall upon. The players can’t adjustment themselves that’s what the coaches get paid for.

All the ST penalties fall in the players.

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Im not denying the collapse at all. It was horrible. But your logic rings true the other way. How were our coaches good enough and prepared enough to jump out to a 28-3 lead if they're not good coaches. 

Because we had better talent and a better script to start. But when strategic adjustments were made - where coaching really matters - MSU completely dominated us.

I do not blame an ounce of this on the players. Mason made no adjustments. Bobo went super vanilla and conservative. Harsin allowed them to do it. 

Saturday wasn't about culture. It was about coaching. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Because we had better talent and a better script to start. But when strategic adjustments were made - where coaching really matters - MSU completely dominated us.

I do not blame an ounce of this on the players. Mason made no adjustments. Bobo went super vanilla and conservative. Harsin allowed them to do it. 

It was also about depth as well imo. Miss st really was a mismatch nightmare as far as team strengths and team weaknesses

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

It was also about depth as well imo. Miss st really was a mismatch nightmare as far as team strengths and team weaknesses

I think it contributed but 40 unanswered is just total incompetence. I blame Bobo more than Mason. We have to expect Leach's teams to score points. So you outscore them and keep the ball out of their hands. Idk what it is that happens to Bobo at halftime but it's a huge issue. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, e808 said:

It’s crazy how some can’t acknowledge a spade being a spade and has come with every excuse imaginable. It doesn’t mean he should be fired but something to make note of and see how things go moving forward .

It was an epic collapse in the 2nd half.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think it contributed but 40 unanswered is just total incompetence. I blame Bobo more than Mason. We have to expect Leach's teams to score points. So you outscore them and keep the ball out of their hands. Idk what it is that happens to Bobo at halftime but it's a huge issue. 

Definitely blame to go everywhere. The main factor or greatest reason, or biggest variable or however to word it is us going away and becoming less efficient running the ball. 

That was all they needed. It was right up their ally and literally what they were hoping we would do.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 11:08 AM, autiger88 said:

Hey one bright side atleast is we aren't Texas and that mess of a program 🤣 I mean we aren't much better on the field,  but man the back ground is bad and I mean bad from boosters to the players. So there's that 🤷 Yes even a monkey and a stripper. 😉 

Yes, I feel this pain! Too many AU people wanted Sarkisian too. I knew he would be a disaster. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Really? 

Yes, some of it is on coaches...but to say it's ALL on them is simply a bad reaction to a bad loss.

The coaches weren't conservative. I remember a long called pass and completion to JJ from Bo that had us moving and overcoming the surge by MSU. But then a bad snap, a sack, and then poor blocking on a gimme FG by Carlson cost us any momentum or chance to get some points. 

On D, I think Mason did rely too much on the 3 man rush, but that is what all coaches have said is how you defend him. Have you seen Rogers compeltion %s over the last 6-7 games? He does this consistently. And I saw, and heard Harsin say they tried to add a rusher, and do some blitzing. Probably not enough, so I agree we needed to do more. But our weakness all year has been our pass rush, even if we have 4 or 5 rushers on convention offenses.

Also, this was our inability to get a decent push to run the ball and make our passing game more effective. When you get -8 in 2nd half then your OL is NOT doing anything to open any holes. And don't say we passed too much, bc I looked at their were drives where we were 50/50 and some where when we went 3 and out, we rushed 2 out of those 3 plays. 

So it was a combination, never just the coaches. I will add I hated the fake punt. I would have rather Bo give it try, not a fake play and relying on our punter to pass the ball.

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This. Is. Not. Due. To. The. Roster. Makes absolutely no sense to use this talking point within the context of a collapse against the likes of Mississippi State.

So the same players (DL, LB, DB) playing 55 snaps has no effect on their ability to perform the same in the 4th quarter as the 1st? That's just downright, willfully ignorant.

30 minutes ago, gman87 said:

So the same players (DL, LB, DB) playing 55 snaps has no effect on their ability to perform the same in the 4th quarter as the 1st? That's just downright, willfully ignorant.

Answer this. Who bright idea is it to run a bend but don’t break defense. Does that not contribute to being on the field longer than u should. Get in wreck shop and get off.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

was just rewatching part of the game.  3rd qtr 10:33 on the game clock. 2nd and 10 pass play.  

talk about a keystone cop blocking scheme with comparable execution by the "blockers".  that play kinda summed up the game. put your players in position to succeed. I'm sure #85 is a fine TE but don't ask him to block the DE who's revved up looking for blood.

Please all you saying let's fire Mason, tell me something he could have done better in the second half?

Please don't say blitz the QB bc that simply would not have worked against Rogers.  2 second drop with an accurate QB who is able to identify blitzes pre-snap and then throw into the blitz into green grass vacated by the Blitzer.  Plus, when you bring the blitz you give up the deep ball. Further, guess what, on a 2 second drop the blitz isn't even gonna get close to the QB.  Mason ran the same offense against Roger that Steele ran against LSU/Burrow.  Steele had a better dline depth so he had guys still getting pressure with 3 late.

Its a great gameplan against air raid offenses. Force the short throws and hope they cannot do it all the way down the field and that your offense can keep their offense off the field by sustaining drives.  Hard to do that with a QB playing with a broken ankle.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:00 AM, weagl1 said:

After seeing that mess unfold Saturday any confidence I ever had in this staff is gone.  I became an Auburn supporter in 1957 when my sister started school there.  I was a Boy Scout usher in the early 1960’s.  I was a student 72-76.  I’ve been to so many games over the years I wouldn’t even begin to try to count.  Now that I’m older I never miss a game on TV and still attend occasionally.  My reasoned perspective is that Derek Mason has made a mess out of our defense.  Bend but don’t break with a 3 man rush and zone in the secondary is not the Auburn way, especially when they end up breaking anyway.  Auburn defense is to bring it,  man up, push the pocket back in the QB’s face, bring the heat.  That mess Saturday made me sick!  On offense it just looked like the line quit at halftime.  We are wasting some great talent in the RB room because of the lack of development in the O line.  They don’t know who to block so they don’t block anybody.  The coaching on this team is pitiful.  Recruiting is in the tank.  Bammer and UGA get whoever they want and Auburn gets what’s left over.  We will be much better off if the HC just quits rather than get the COVID vaccine.  He keeps playing games with that rather than answer a straight question and he makes himself look like an idiot. Hopefully he will take the AD with him and we can start over.  It’s clear to me it’s going to come to that eventually so we might has well get it over with rather than face years of this incompetence.  We need a coaching staff to breathe some new life into this proud program not suck all of the air out of it.  That’s my reasoned perspective.  

Our AD is already one foot out the door. Would already be gone, but nobody else will hire him and our program is nice enough to wait for him, to get another job.

The people that claim we are impatient or irrational are just comical. A meltdown second half against Alabama State. Without SEC officials help, would’ve lost to Georgia State. Currently 30 something in recruiting, second or third from last in the SEC in recruiting. Worst loss in terms of opponent’s comeback, in the history of Auburn football. I mean in the history of Auburn football, we never lost a game leading by 25 points or more. Just let that sit in!

With the money, facilities, community that is Auburn, we can afford one of the best AD’s in the country and certainly one of the best football coaches in the country. Why can’t we simply go out there and get them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

With the money, facilities, community that is Auburn, we can afford one of the best AD’s in the country and certainly one of the best football coaches in the country. Why can’t we simply go out there and get them?

1. There are about 25 other Power 5 universities in the country who believe the same things about their school and will gladly offer proof if asked.

2. Who are the best football coaches in the country? The truly great ones aren’t looking for jobs. The ones perceived to be great have their own faults or turn out not to be so great. That list is very long. 

3. Fan bases everywhere are beyond impatient. Coaches are no longer judged by their whole body of work but week to week.

All my humble opinion in an answer to your question.

• Like 1