Question that I haven’t seen mentioned

aubaseball

Just now, cole256 said:

The play in the redzone we blitzed and he threw the td right where the guy that blitzed was before he blitzed. This play we had 4 d linemen

That was only one.   They had five more. 

28 - 3rd) Will Rogers pass complete to Dillon Johnson for 3 yds for a TD, (Two-Point Conversion failed )

13:28 - 4th) Will Rogers pass complete to Makai Polk for 6 yds for a TD, (Two-Point Conversion failed)

:31 - 4th) Will Rogers pass complete to Malik Heath for 6 yds for a TD, (Nolan McCord KICK)

1:25 - 3rd) Will Rogers pass complete to Jamire Calvin for 3 yds for a TD, (Nolan McCord KICK)

:55 - 2nd) Will Rogers pass complete to Makai Polk for 4 yds for a TD, (Nolan McCord KICK)

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

This entire year mason is basically coaching around not having a pass rush

True, although I still think you have to try mixing some things up once a team has mounted a couple of quick scoring drives. I may have missed some things (I do remember one failed corner blitz) but it felt like we just let it ride. At least try a four-man front for a series or two to try to cut down on the double teams. Blitz a LB. Anything at all to try to force an error and get off the field. Even Roof would occasionally make a late aggressive tweak that helped stop the bleeding - and his defenses were pretty light on talent too. 

On the pass rush front - I am surprised they haven't played the freshmen Brooks and Hunter in at least a few games to see if they can bring any spark at all (especially after the suspension of Height and C. Johnson). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sani-Freeze said:

True, although I still think you have to try mixing some things up once a team has mounted a couple of quick scoring drives. I may have missed some things (I do remember one failed corner blitz) but it felt like we just let it ride. At least try a four-man front for a series or two to try to cut down on the double teams. Blitz a LB. Anything at all to try to force an error and get off the field. Even Roof would occasionally make a late aggressive tweak that helped stop the bleeding - and his defenses were pretty light on talent too. 

On the pass rush front - I am surprised they haven't played the freshmen Brooks and Hunter in at least a few games to see if they can bring any spark at all (especially after the suspension of Height and C. Johnson). 

Roof had the best d line though. He was weak in the secondary. You can come up with some stuff with an awesome d line. When it's the D line that's weak though......you really don't have anything.

I agree you have to try something but the first half the d pretty much did their job. This season Mason has actually been excellent with his adjustments. Didn't work out this game but this type of offense is the worst thing for a team without a decent pass rush. It's all about match ups and this wasn't a good one for us at all