Mason, Harsin expect different looks from State

aubiefifty

Mason, Harsin expect different looks from Mississippi State

ByMark Murphy
4-5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–As his Auburn football defense prepares for Mississippi State's "Air Raid" offense, Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason said he likes how the Tigers are getting ready for the pass-happy Bulldogs, the 10th opponent of the season for the Tigers.

"I don’t think we faced an offense like this one this season, but what I think we have done as a defensive unit is that this group has had to figure out, week in and week out, how to play against different offenses," Mason said Wednesday night on Tiger Talk, Auburn's weekly call-in show.  "I don’t think there have been two offenses that have been alike for us this season.”

Mississippi State’s offense averages just 56 rushing yards per game at 2.6 yards per carry while averaging 54.4 passes thrown per contest and 376 yards per contest through the air.

“This group with Zakoby (McClain), Owen (Pappoe), D. (Derek) Hall and even Marcus Harris–you go up and down this group–Smoke Monday and these guys are fun to coach,” Mason said. “They love ball, they talk ball. They want to know how do we fix, how do we tinker, how do we adjust? To me that has been the best thing in the world. It is fun to be around guys that love football.”

Mason said those players and others on defense have had a good week of practice so far. “These guys went after it today,” Mason said after Wednesday session practice that emphasized forcing turnovers, red zone stops and special situations.

10590276.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Defensive coordinator Derek Mason is in his first season with the Tigers. (Photo: Adam Sparks / Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Auburn head coach, Bryan Harsin, agreed with Mason during his Tiger Talk appearance that players have been focused in this week’s practices looking to bounce back from a disappointing 20-3 loss at Texas A&M. Also like his defensive coordinator, Harsin said that Mississippi State will give the Tigers different looks.

“I can see them taking chances on the defensive side bringing pressures maybe a little more and they already do that quite a bit,” he said. “They have had some issues on special teams and have been vocal about that so they might do some things differently.”

Harsin added, “Their defense is much different than some of the teams we have played. I have seen this defense from San Diego State, and this coordinator. It is a little like Rocky Long and what he had done before. They are all over the place and bring different pressures.

“What I will say about Mississippi State’s personnel is they are very good. They are long and you can see how athletic they are...I think they utilize their personnel well because they use the right people in the right spot. That becomes a challenge for us.”

Harsin added that the Bulldogs play “physical and fast” on defense, but added, “There are opportunities to make plays on them and you have to take advantage of that with what you do.”

Auburn and Mississippi State will kick off shortly after 11 a.m. on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPN.

Mississippi State, a 31-28 loser last Saturday at Arkansas, is 5-4 in Coach Mike Leach’s second season in charge of the program. The Bulldogs are 3-3 in the SEC.

Auburn, which is 3-2 in the league, is 6-3 overall and ranked No. 16 in this week’s AP Top 25 poll and No. 20 in the coaches poll.

2COMMENTS

The Tigers won last year’s game at Mississippi State 24-10 and lead the series 65-27-2.

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

">247Sports
ByMark Murphy
4-5 minutes

Fast Break: Auburn hoops off to impressive start

AUBURN, Alabama–As his Auburn football defense prepares for Mississippi State's "Air Raid" offense, Defensive Coordinator Derek Mason said he likes how the Tigers are getting ready for the pass-happy Bulldogs, the 10th opponent of the season for the Tigers.

"I don’t think we faced an offense like this one this season, but what I think we have done as a defensive unit is that this group has had to figure out, week in and week out, how to play against different offenses," Mason said Wednesday night on Tiger Talk, Auburn's weekly call-in show.  "I don’t think there have been two offenses that have been alike for us this season.”

Mississippi State’s offense averages just 56 rushing yards per game at 2.6 yards per carry while averaging 54.4 passes thrown per contest and 376 yards per contest through the air.

“This group with Zakoby (McClain), Owen (Pappoe), D. (Derek) Hall and even Marcus Harris–you go up and down this group–Smoke Monday and these guys are fun to coach,” Mason said. “They love ball, they talk ball. They want to know how do we fix, how do we tinker, how do we adjust? To me that has been the best thing in the world. It is fun to be around guys that love football.”

Mason said those players and others on defense have had a good week of practice so far. “These guys went after it today,” Mason said after Wednesday session practice that emphasized forcing turnovers, red zone stops and special situations.

10590276.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Defensive coordinator Derek Mason is in his first season with the Tigers. (Photo: Adam Sparks / Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

Auburn head coach, Bryan Harsin, agreed with Mason during his Tiger Talk appearance that players have been focused in this week’s practices looking to bounce back from a disappointing 20-3 loss at Texas A&M. Also like his defensive coordinator, Harsin said that Mississippi State will give the Tigers different looks.

“I can see them taking chances on the defensive side bringing pressures maybe a little more and they already do that quite a bit,” he said. “They have had some issues on special teams and have been vocal about that so they might do some things differently.”

Harsin added, “Their defense is much different than some of the teams we have played. I have seen this defense from San Diego State, and this coordinator. It is a little like Rocky Long and what he had done before. They are all over the place and bring different pressures.

“What I will say about Mississippi State’s personnel is they are very good. They are long and you can see how athletic they are...I think they utilize their personnel well because they use the right people in the right spot. That becomes a challenge for us.”

Harsin added that the Bulldogs play “physical and fast” on defense, but added, “There are opportunities to make plays on them and you have to take advantage of that with what you do.”

Auburn and Mississippi State will kick off shortly after 11 a.m. on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPN.

Mississippi State, a 31-28 loser last Saturday at Arkansas, is 5-4 in Coach Mike Leach’s second season in charge of the program. The Bulldogs are 3-3 in the SEC.

Auburn, which is 3-2 in the league, is 6-3 overall and ranked No. 16 in this week’s AP Top 25 poll and No. 20 in the coaches poll.

2COMMENTS

The Tigers won last year’s game at Mississippi State 24-10 and lead the series 65-27-2.

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

">247Sports
  • Like 1