Happy Veterans Day

aubiefifty

to all that stood up when america needed you and to the men and women who supported our troops. blessings to all and long may you run.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My father in law was a WWII medic. Marched into Berlin with Patton. THE Greatest generation indeed. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Remember all the veterans and thanks them. My dad came back from WWII in the Pacific campaign as a disabled vet. Also had two of my uncles serve in the Pacific

My dad didn't come back from the Pacific.  His plane went down while on a bombing run against Japanese forces. I was seven weeks old at the time. He never saw me.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My dad didn't come back from the Pacific.  His plane went down while on a bombing run against Japanese forces. I was seven weeks old at the time. He never saw me.

Very sorry to hear that, Mikey. The ultimate sacrifice. And not just for him, but for you and your entire family. Thank you. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I remember you posted that before. Had to be rough for you and your Mom were you in south Fl at that age?

12 hours ago, japantiger said:

My grandad as part of the AEF during the "Great War". Dad early in WW2.  Me circa '79.

20171108_225426.jpg

20171108_225524.jpg

my grandfather was in the calvary in WW1 and i know he fought in the Argonne forest. he also served in WW2 helping to rebuild Japan. he was one of the most honorable men i ever met.When i was a rugrat everyone in Auburn knew him and called him sarge. he left the army at the end of his career and served in the air force at maxwell air force base. i guess he wanted to build his retirement up. he never spoke of what he saw much but i remember him in one of the few times he ever got mad at me was when i picked up a sack off the sidewalk. he told me to never to do that because it could be boobytrapped. he used to tell us the story of bloody bones to all the grandkids delight. out of all my family he is probably the one i miss most. he never owned a car because my mom said he was the worst driver you ever saw times ten. and how weird is it he lived in three different rentals on the same block on east glenn ave on the end close to town. i guess they did this because he walked to town every single day. i sure miss him.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Oh wow, I hate to hear that. Especially that he never saw you. Thank you both for your service. 

• Like 4

My father retired from the Navy in '60 after 20 years. That was the year I was born. He was 18 when the Hornet CV-8 was sink by torpedos and kamikazi attack. I was amazed when he told me that story. The first pic is the reunion a few years back. My dad is the second from the left on the front row. 

IMG950390.jpg

020808.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I remember you posted that before. Had to be rough for you and your Mom were you in south Fl at that age?

Yes, in Miami. Mom met Dad while he was there for aviation training. Most of the Miami and Miami Beach hotels were commandeered by the military for housing of personnel. Army Air Corps and Navy were the majority there.

It wasn't bad on me at all. My maternal grandfather and grandmother stepped up in a big way and raised me in their house until high school age. My mom found herself being a 19 year old widow. Her story would be more, uh, complicated.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yes, in Miami. Mom met Dad while he was there for aviation training. Most of the Miami and Miami Beach hotels were commandeered by the military for housing of personnel. Army Air Corps and Navy were the majority there.

It wasn't bad on me at all. My maternal grandfather and grandmother stepped up in a big way and raised me in their house until high school age. My mom found herself being a 19 year old widow. Her story would be more, uh, complicated.

Understand

My dad was US Navy for over 30 years WWII through Vietnam and beyond. I want to thank all the veterans on this board for your service may God Bless every one of you and all your fellow vets.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

my grandfather was in the calvary in WW1 and i know he fought in the Argonne forest. he also served in WW2 helping to rebuild Japan. he was one of the most honorable men i ever met.When i was a rugrat everyone in Auburn knew him and called him sarge. he left the army at the end of his career and served in the air force at maxwell air force base. i guess he wanted to build his retirement up. he never spoke of what he saw much but i remember him in one of the few times he ever got mad at me was when i picked up a sack off the sidewalk. he told me to never to do that because it could be boobytrapped. he used to tell us the story of bloody bones to all the grandkids delight. out of all my family he is probably the one i miss most. he never owned a car because my mom said he was the worst driver you ever saw times ten. and how weird is it he lived in three different rentals on the same block on east glenn ave on the end close to town. i guess they did this because he walked to town every single day. i sure miss him.

Eli (my Grandad) fought in every engagement of the AEF.  He hated the Marines; said he fought at Belleau Woods for 2 weeks and the Marines fought one day and got credit for winning the battle, monuments, a nickname, etc.  Good thing he was gone when I joined.  He was gassed multiple times.  Turned down a half dozen battlefield promotions.  He intended to survive the war he said.  Every LT he knew/had was killed. 

He was wounded in Oct 1918 during the Muesse-Argonne offensive that ultimately ended the war.  Unconscious and left for dead on the battlefield he was missing in action for 6 weeks.  When the Armistice was signed, his family didn't know if he was alive or dead.  He survived by scrounging food off the dead and finding his way into a bombed out farmhouse.  He cauterized his own wounds by placing his body against a hot wood burning stove repeatedly until all his wounds were sealed.  He'd stoke the stove white hot; put part of his body against it; pass out; repeat. The scars were awful.  He kept all his limbs.  It's all that staved off infection. 

We used to go to his house every Sunday after church and meet with the broader family.  I sat on the ottoman at his feet while he rolled back and forth in his rocker spitting Blood-hound tobacco into a Hi-C can.  His stories were riveting to a young man.  He passed when I was 18 and he 85.  I loved and idolized that old man.  A true warrior.

• Like 1
  • Love 1