Preview: Mississippi State defense

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Auburn opponent preview: Mississippi State defense

ByJason Caldwell
4-5 minutes

2 Minute Drill: Auburn's offense falls flat at Texas A&M

When you think about the Mississippi State Bulldogs, you automatically turn your attention to offense and throwing the football under Coach Mike Leach, but once again this is a defense that is physical at the line of scrimmage and has athletes all over the field. Currently 11th nationally in rushing defense, allowing just 102 yards per game and six touchdowns on the ground, Mississippi State held N.C. State to 34 yards, Memphis to 87, LSU to 63, Vanderbilt to just nine and Kentucky to only 66. 

Against the three best rushing offenses Mississippi State has faced however, the Bulldogs haven’t been as dominant. Texas A&M ran for 162, Alabama 195 and Arkansas went for 202 yards in last week’s Razorback win in Fayetteville. Overall, Mississippi State is 65th nationally scoring defense, giving up 25.3 points per game and 34.8 points in losses to Memphis, LSU, Alabama and Arkansas. 

The strength of the defense is at linebacker where redshirt junior Aaron Brule (6-1, 230) leads the way with fellow redshirt junior Nathaniel Watson (6-2, 240) expected to get the start alongside him with another redshirt junior Jett Johnson (6-2, 235) the top reserve at the position and leading the team with 64 tackles. A native of Maplesville, Alabama, Watson is second on the team with 58 tackles and also with three sacks. Brule has 35 tackles on the year and leads the team with five and a half tackles for a loss.

Up front, pass rusher Tyrus Wheat (6-2, 265, Sr.) is the leader of the group with four sacks and five tackles for a loss to go along with a forced fumble. On the other side, redshirt junior Randy Charlton (6-3, 265) also has three sacks, part of 19 on the season for the Bulldogs. In the middle, 6-3, 310 Cameron Young is the most active of the group with big man Jaden Crumedy (6-5, 310, RJr.) and Nathan Pickering (6-4, 300, Jr.) both capable of making plays.

In the secondary the Bulldogs feature two of the top cornerbacks in the Southeastern Conference, 6-2, 200 junior Martin Emerson and 6-0, 180 sophomore Emmanuel Forbes. Both have 41 tackles this season with Forbes leading the team with three interceptions. He has six interceptions in the last two years. A starter at the dog position (rover), 5-10, 205 Fred Peters is third on the team with 48 tackles and has also added a pair of interceptions. Rounding out the starting lineup in the secondary are senior safety Jalen Green (6-1, 200) and Montgomery native Collin Duncan (6-0, 205, Jr.). Green is tied with Peters for second on the team with a pair of interceptions.

E 5 Randy Charlton (6-3, 265, R-Jr.)

9 De’Monte Russell (6-4, 265, R-So.) 

NG 93 Cameron Young (6-3, 310, R-Jr.)

22 Nathan Pickering (6-4, 300, Jr.) 

DT 94 Jaden Crumedy (6-5, 310, R-Jr.) 

15 Jack Harris (6-3, 270, R-So.) 

SAM 2 Tyrus Wheat (6-2, 265, Sr.)

34 Sherman Timbs (6-2, 265, R-Sr.)

MIKE 14 Nathaniel Watson (6-2, 240, R-Jr.)

16 DeShawn Page (6-2, 225, So.) 

WILL 3 Aaron Brule (6-1, 230, R-Jr.) 

44 Jett Johnson (6-2, 235, R-Jr.) 

CB 1 Martin Emerson (6-2, 200, Jr.) 

30 Decamerion Richardson (6-2, 195, So.)

FS 19 Collin Duncan (6-0, 205, Jr.) 

36 Jay Jimison (6-0, 200, R-Sr.) 

SS 0 Jalen Green (6-1, 200, Sr.) 

24 Dylan Lawrence (6-4, 205, R-So.) 

DOG 38 Fred Peters (5-10, 205, Sr.) 

12 Shawn Preston Jr. (6-0, 205, R-Jr.) 

CB 13 Emmanuel Forbes (6-0, 180, So.) 

9COMMENTS

27 Esaias Furdge (6-0, 185, R-Jr.)

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

">247Sports
  • Thanks 2

Lot's of matchup concerns for both the offense and defense in this game. Will be interesting to see the plan and approach to this game. 

1 hour ago, creed said:

Lot's of matchup concerns for both the offense and defense in this game. Will be interesting to see the plan and approach to this game. 

the way we can play so good and then stink up the joint has me worried about all the rest of our games to be honest. i am not dissing the team at all but it is what it is.every now and again i just want a game with no worries about the outcome............

Edited by aubiefifty

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i just want a game with no worries about the outcome.

You'll have to wait until next year for that, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

the way we can play so good and then stink up the joint has me worried about all the rest of our games to be honest. i am not dissing the team at all but it is what it is.every now and again i just want a game with no worries about the outcome............

I just want to see the offense get back on track, scoring consistently again.

Not scoring a TD in the last 6 quarters has me concerned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I just want to see the offense get back on track, scoring consistently again.

Not scoring a TD in the last 6 quarters has me concerned.

yep. we have so many problems to correct i am taking nothing for granted.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, The Freak said:

Yes I cant wait to see what our O line looks like with no returning starters. No worries at all.😉

On 11/10/2021 at 7:26 AM, aubiefifty said:

i just want a game with no worries about the outcome............

On 11/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, The Freak said:

Actually November 27th.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, AUwent said:

I'm a little disturbed by how little people seem to be caring about this game, TBH.

People not caring about this game (as long as the people are us fans) will have no impact on outcome. I’m betting Harsin and company care a great deal which does impact this game in a positive way.