Senior spotlight: Smoke Monday

aubiefifty

Senior spotlight: Auburn defensive back Smoke Monday

Auburn University Athletics
7-9 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – One hundred thirty-five career tackles. Six interceptions, including pick sixes against Alabama in 2019 (29 yards), Tennessee in 2020 (100 yards) and against Georgia State (36 yards) earlier this year, along with a blocked punt in the 2018 Iron Bowl. So many big plays have highlighted the career of Quindarious "Smoke" Monday that any recap of his four seasons in Auburn is as hard to contain as his namesake whisp of smoke.

"The first thing people ask me is why I'm called Smoke," the senior safety explained. "When I was little, I was a grandma's boy and a granddad's boy. I was with my grandma Bertha Duffy and my granddad Big Will Monday a lot. My granddad gave me the name. I was always running around the house and he just started calling me Smoke and from that point, it just stuck.

"He passed when I was about 12 and I always told myself I'm going to honor him by using the name he gave me. And it's been a great name for me to go out and show the world ever since. I hope I've done a good job at making him proud by continuing to do what I do best and playing ball as a high-character guy and just being me -- always trying to brighten somebody's day and showing people all the ability God gave me."

The ability that moved Monday from state champion Carver High in Atlanta to his college home was brightest on the football field.

"I played a lot of sports when I was little," Monday, who chose football after his sophomore year, remembered. "I kind of knew football was going to be my way out and I put everything aside to focus on football.

"And I like to hit people. Growing up, I was a star on offense – I used to score like five touchdowns a game when I was little and it was always fun to be that person scoring all the touchdowns and making everybody look silly.
"But as I got older, I realized there weren't many people with my body type and my ability to play the defensive back position, so I felt like it was a no-brainer for me. By me showing I can do it at this size, and do it at a high level, it shows a lot of people this is a new generation of people who can play the position."

What's it like delivering a tackle? "It's basically just adrenaline rushing, but it's got to happen for us because we're on defense. Every single tackle I make I feel like I get better and better, so it feels like my game is improving throughout.

"An interception? Now that's pretty special, because there aren't many people who can get the ball in their hands on the defensive side. The only thing that goes through my mind before I grab the ball when I know I'm fixing to catch a pick is, 'I've got to score.' That's been my motto ever since I started playing defense; every time I get the ball, it's my chance to show people how good I was on offense with the ball in my hands.

Football: Auburn vs Georgia State Smoke Monday celebrates Auburn's 2021 win vs. Georgia State

"But I love playing defense. My favorite part of the game is when we're clicking on all cylinders," he said with his trademark smile. "When defense is playing well, when offense is playing well, when special teams are playing well, it just makes the game that much more fun.

"When you see everybody around you doing their thing and having fun -- if everybody's doing what they're supposed to do and doing the right things and getting in the right position every single time, it brings out the competitiveness in everybody wanting to go make a play. It's great."

And Monday has had a lot of great days in the Orange and Blue.

"I chose to come here because it's been like home," the all-SEC performer said. "My momma could trust the coaches to take care of me and make sure everything was fine. Even when I was going through stuff that you go through at this age, she knew they were going to be there for me and she didn't have to worry about me being away from home.

"I loved the players here – they were great to me on my recruiting visit and when I got here, they still were great and taught me a lot of things to get me right for being at college.
"Daniel Thomas and Jeremiah Dinson – those guys taught me a lot about life, not just about football -- they helped me outside of football and things that most freshmen go through. I feel like I'll always have those friendships long after I leave Auburn. And now I get to be that guy."

What values would Monday pass along to his younger teammates?

"The things I believe in – I believe in hard work. I've always worked hard. I also believe in preparation. How you prepare for something and how much you prepare will determine the outcome of what you've been preparing for. If you prepare for a test and you're well-prepared, I feel like you will go in that test and ace it, but if not, the stress is something you asked for because you didn't prepare well.

"I always wanted to be a guy that everybody looks up to, because where I'm from, there are a lot of people who wish they had the opportunities I've had. For me to come here and do what I've been doing shows the people back home that it's possible. That's everything I strive to be every day – a role model for the people who didn't have much like I didn't."

Monday does all of it with a perpetual smile on his face. "I've always been that kid who's always happy, who's always trying to brighten somebody's day even when my day is going bad. That's an attitude God blessed me with and I want to use it in a positive way every single day, even if I'm not having the best day. It's me trying to be positive and try to make everything the best I can make it every single day."

The gregarious four-year letterman received his bachelor's degree in August in interdisciplinary studies with emphasis in sports coaching and leadership.

"Those I feel are the things that are visibly lacking in my community back home," Monday said. "I want to help the kids back home, who don't have some of the people I have in my life right now to teach me a lot of different things.

"It's so much more than just coaching a sport; it's life coaching. I feel like that's my calling for when football is done. I know exactly what I want to do."

Monday, reviewing his college days, is glad he chose to start that life's work on the Plains.

"What's going to stick in my heart about Auburn is it's just so calm, there's never much violence or chaos here -- it's always calm and the people are so loving here," Monday said. "They love anybody that lives in Auburn that goes to the school or follows the sports.

"It's a happy time being at Auburn and I feel like people who come here would love it because it's just a homey feeling that you don't feel at most places.

"This is my second home – I always come back to Auburn and feel like I'm at home."

And the Auburn Family? "They're the best. They just want you to be the best version of yourself every single time," he explained. "Even though you didn't have the best game, they're always going to tell you things you did well and tell you things to improve on. And that motivates me because I want to get better every single game.

"I just want to say my four years at Auburn have really been a great four years for me. I love this place, the environment of the fans, the atmosphere, and how loving the people are in Auburn.

"Auburn will always be my home. I will continue to love this place no matter what and I will always come back and show the love the fans showed me. War Eagle!"

Smoke Monday (21) Auburn vs. Alabama Football on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Pick six: Smoke Monday returned an interception for a touchdown in Auburn's 2019 Iron Bowl win
  • Like 1