aTm is over. MSU thoughts?

TigerPAC

They will get a lot of yards but score very little points. They are not as physical as the previous teams we have faced. I want us to establish aggression on both sides of the line, early on 

• Like 1

On defense I'd imagine Mason will drop and dare Leach to run, like LSU did against them. On offense I have no clue at this point. I'd imagine they will follow A&M and dare us to beat them over the top. I really do expect Bo to bounce back. But if we can't get anything going early, I would expect Harsin to shake things up to give us a spark

• Haha 1

On paper they seem pretty good.  They aren’t going to roll over.  This is no gimme.  Not overly concerned about our defense as they have been consistent.  The offense, on the other hand…..My only real concern about the offense is the fact that A&M just seemed to know exactly what play we were going to call. It may have been, and probably was, that they are just superior in athleticism, much like Georgia, and I hope that we are not that predictable.  This game should be an “under”.   Hoping for the best.  

I actually feel better about this game than I did before A&M. Seemed like the perfect trap game had we won. Now I think Harsin will have them ready to go after the loss. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Miss State losing last week helps.  If they were coming in hot I’d be worried.  Miss State and USCe are the two teams with a talent gap in Auburn’s favor.  I don’t think this one’s ends up as close as Vegas thinks.

• Like 1

For the most part it felt like our pass defense took a bug step forward last weekend. DBs were contesting passes and not allowing super easy completions.

Hopefully that was players getting used to the new defense.  That needs to continue this weekend and we will win 

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

For the most part it felt like our pass defense took a bug step forward last weekend. DBs were contesting passes and not allowing super easy completions.

Hopefully that was players getting used to the new defense.  That needs to continue this weekend and we will win 

Agree but not completely.   Thought they played their best game but aTm dropped a lot of passes.  

MSU is solid on the dline.   I’m not overly confident at all with Auburns ability to score.   Not saying Auburn is going to lose, but this team does not give me the feeling that they are better than any team left on the schedule.   Hell, last year they lost to USCe and they were terrible.   This year they are playing better so it’s not a gimme.  

• Like 1

Defensively, I expect what we've seen so far. State will shred us between the 20s. The question is whether we can keep them out of the end zone. This will be a more dangerous offense than what A&M showed us. 

Offensively, again... more of the same. We'll struggle to run, Bo will be under fire and how he responds will be the difference. If we look like we did Saturday, we lose. If we can shake it off, limit mistakes and manage to establish something approaching run/pass balance, I think we can handle them. 

• Like 1

In the FWIW category, my nephew is in class with a guy who plays on the scout team who said we had a bad week of practice leading into the A&M game. I've heard many coaches say that a bad week of practice leads to a bad game on Saturday. Lord knows Harsin harps on "consistency" & doing what's expected "each & every day." I'm hoping the offensive performance last week (& boy was it "offensive"!) allows Harsin to gain or re-gain their attention during practice this week leading to a better performance on Saturday. I'd really like to see us play 4 good quarters beginning Saturday. I daresay we've not done that yet (see the beginning of the LSU game, the middle of the Ark game, the offense during the 2nd half against Ole Miss). 

I also noted that in yesterday's presser Harsin said we have to have better offensive play & "better offensive play calls." At 1 point he mentioned needing a better game plan (on offense). A couple of other times he mentioned the "staff" improving when he mentioned players improving. Did anybody besides me wonder if he was letting his displeasure with Bobo & the rest of the offensive staff show? Bobo has gotten a lot of well deserved praise for the the offense's improvement in Oct. But Saturday was different. I hope he gets his mojo back for Saturday as much as I hope Bo does.

Edited by TigerTennis80
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Apparently MSU's kicker isn't good, so there's that. 

Yeah, if we “bend but don’t break” a lot, hopefully they miss a few FGs.    
Offense has got to play much better at every level!!!  MSU defense is pretty good.   If we play like we have against every other decent defense we’ve faced, we’re in trouble!

• Like 1

I'm hoping the team has mentally put the A&M game behind them and have come up with a really good plan for the MSU defense.  Fwiw, since our 2-0 start against Akron and Ala State...  Bo only has 4 TD's and 3 Int's.  I'm hoping he can at least run the offense up and down the field to give our defense some help.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:28 PM, gr82b4au said:

They have one of the top run defenses in the country. And they have one of the top pass offenses in the country. 

So of course I think we win hahahaha 

this is what worries me. if they mostly stop our running game and bo has another bad outing as with our o line and the usual suspects it would not surprise me to see us get beat.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:25 PM, MaitlandTiger said:

On paper they seem pretty good.  They aren’t going to roll over.  This is no gimme.  Not overly concerned about our defense as they have been consistent.  The offense, on the other hand…..My only real concern about the offense is the fact that A&M just seemed to know exactly what play we were going to call. It may have been, and probably was, that they are just superior in athleticism, much like Georgia, and I hope that we are not that predictable.  This game should be an “under”.   Hoping for the best.  

I literally said this during the game. Either we were tipping them and they had done an awesome job of scouting us or they were very good at guessing, often. 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:39 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

Yeah, if we “bend but don’t break” a lot, hopefully they miss a few FGs.    
Offense has got to play much better at every level!!!  MSU defense is pretty good.   If we play like we have against every other decent defense we’ve faced, we’re in trouble!

700 yards of offense, 9 missed FGs, 0 pts allowed