Carlson

gr82b4au

Blame me. He was my man crush for three years and I didn't take him this year. 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4242519/anders-carlson

He's doing better than his freshman year, and about the same as his sophomore year.  

We're asking him to attempt more longer range kicks this year than we did in his excellent 2020 junior year. 

Yeah, he's not great at long range, but he's been pretty good at short/medium range x-points 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4242519/anders-carlson

He's doing better than his freshman year, and about the same as his sophomore year.  

We're asking him to attempt more longer range kicks this year than we did in his excellent 2020 junior year. 

Yeah, he's not great at long range, but he's been pretty good at short/medium range x-points 

2-3 from 30-39, 6-8 from 40-49, and 0-2 over 49 is not good, and not just at long range; I don't care how you spin it. He is the very definition of Unreliable. Just making "most" of your kicks isn't good enough. Hasn't been for a very long time.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

2-3 from 30-39, 6-8 from 40-49, and 0-2 over 49 is not good, and not just at long range; I don't care how you spin it. He is the very definition of Unreliable. Just making "most" of your kicks isn't good enough. Hasn't been for a very long time.

Is there an issue with the snapper, angles or trajectory changed? 

IDK, just spit-balling were something may be affecting Carlson. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I'm not trying to argue that he's an elite kicker as much as I'm pointing out this year is pretty on par for Carlson in his AU career, and that's he's not horrible overall. 

I agree he is unreliable at long range, but an interesting statistic is that only 2 other kickers in the SEC have attempted more 40+ yeard field goals than Carlson has this season. Carlson is also top 10 in the entire FBS in FG attempts. 

Carlsons performance probably sticks out more because we're asking him to attempt more and longer kicks than most other teams.

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I've wondered that since the missed XP early on, but have never heard a coach mention needing to get it corrected, so I assume not. I will add that sometimes Carlson's kick really change direction abruptly. Idk what causes this, do not know enough about kicking.

Edited by boisnumber1

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm not trying to argue that he's an elite kicker as much as I'm pointing out this year is pretty on par for Carlson in his AU career, and that's he's not horrible overall. 

I agree he is unreliable at long range, but an interesting statistic is that only 2 other kickers in the SEC have attempted more 40+ yeard field goals than Carlson has this season. Carlson is also top 10 in the entire FBS in FG attempts. 

Carlsons performance probably sticks out more because we're asking him to attempt more and longer kicks than most other teams.

For whatever reason, I feel less confident in him this year than others, and I guess it's because he's been pretty erratic in how he strikes the ball. I'm never particularly confident when he trots on the field, but that's just me 

one of the first installments of "All About the Ball," Harsin was focusing the team on film of field goals. I thought that was a little odd. Maybe it was actually an early concern. Just something I noticed.

Looks like the snapper and holder aren't in sync. Especially on the miss Saturday. Snap seemed a little high and it took the holder longer to get it down in position on the ground. It's the little things that disrupt the timing and affect accuracy.

• Like 3

Line was allowing a lot of penetration earlier in the year as well.  Had a block and a couple of near blocks.  I wonder if confidence in protection has affected things.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, keesler said:

on his missed kick against a&m one of the announcers said the holder did not have the ball in the proper position. this was the one that hit the crossbar. i have also heard this is a problem this from a couple of fans but they are not coaches so who knows?

• Like 1

He’s pretty good stat wise. I believe 3 rd all time in points, 6th all time in percentage. 2nd all time in single season percentage. Probably not up to his usual standards this year but still great kicker since taking over for his brother.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

He’s just not his brother. He’s a good kicker, just not an NFL kicker. His average over 4 years is 73% with his worst season being 60%. 
His brother (who has already been fired once in the NFL) never had a season worse than 74% and averaged 80% over his career. It just is what it is. Top notch college kicker, but not elite. Had one really good season and the other 3 look like this one or worse.  
Will be very interesting to see if he comes back and risks getting beat out by a true freshman (highly possible) or risks the NFL which potentially won’t sign him (also highly possible…maybe even extremely likely). 
He’s got a few games left to earn some NFL respect or he’s in a real tough spot. Again, just is what it is at this point. 

17 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

He’s just not his brother. He’s a good kicker, just not an NFL kicker. His average over 4 years is 73% with his worst season being 60%. 
His brother (who has already been fired once in the NFL) never had a season worse than 74% and averaged 80% over his career. It just is what it is. Top notch college kicker, but not elite. Had one really good season and the other 3 look like this one or worse.  
Will be very interesting to see if he comes back and risks getting beat out by a true freshman (highly possible) or risks the NFL which potentially won’t sign him (also highly possible…maybe even extremely likely). 
He’s got a few games left to earn some NFL respect or he’s in a real tough spot. Again, just is what it is at this point. 

I blame Gus for trotting him out for all those 50 yarders as a freshman and sophmore.

• Like 1

I just don't like his alignment this year.  Seems to be very close to the ball at setup and doesn't look very athletic on approach.

Whatever it is, there is no consistency to his kicks.  If you just watch the extra points, not many go straight down the middle.

Maybe he can get it figured out.

Guest MustardSeed
45 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I blame Gus for trotting him out for all those 50 yarders as a freshman and sophmore.

Well, the next guy coming in who’s still in high school keeps getting put in to kick 60 plus yarders… made a 52, 55 and a 61 all in one game…. Missed a 65 yarder just barely wide and it went over the upright….  

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

While he can put kick offs into the end zone , they are not particularly high. If one is short it is returnable. I noticed that the UGA kicker had distance plus much more height on their kick offs. There coverage people would be to our 20 by the time our guys were making the catch. And on another note, our guys kept trying to make kickoff returns during that game, giving us starting field position of inside the 20.

He is a good college kicker. Not all conference or anything, but in upper half of conference.

4 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Well, the next guy coming in who’s still in high school keeps getting put in to kick 60 plus yarders… made a 52, 55 and a 61 all in one game…. Missed a 65 yarder just barely wide and it went over the upright….  

i saw that and almost posted it.

Honestly I blame it on special teams as a whole.  I noticed it especially during Texas A&M.  The gunners are continually getting within inches of blocking it every time.  It was scary.  I wonder if it is forcing Anders to boot it quicker and higher to avoid the defenders coming up the middle.

• Like 1