Could be worse

LPTiger

Yesterday after a humiliating loss to USEe, Ole Danny Boy skipped the postgame singing of the Alma Mater with the team, cheerleaders and band.  It is a Gator tradition. Win, lose, draw, home or away the HC sings the dad gum Alma Mater with the team, cheerleaders and band.   Not too much to ask.   Unless you are ODB.  And, this is two times in a row for him to skip it.   But, this time he had a ready-made, ironclad excuse -- "to be honest with you, I did not even know the band was here."  Hint, when someone says, "to be honest, with you" they likely are not being honest with you.  The problem for ODB here are two unmistakable and indisputable facts: 1. during Gator Walk, there they were, all 100 of them playing their little band hearts out as ODB strolls RIGHT BY THEM and into the stadium and 2. during the entirety of the game, the band played right behind the bench.   OJUCH!!! 

This won't help cousin Eddie's hiney to get less warm.  Weren't they preseason favored to win the east division?  Expectations will get you every time.

Edited by SRBautigerfan

My opinion - he thought he could parlay the Gators job into an NFL gig.  He quit on that program the minute he thought he had done enough to achieve that goal.

• Like 1

Florida seems like such an easy gig.  You are literally surrounded by top 100 recruits.  You play in the SEC East which outside of UGA isn't great.  Florida is a good school.  I hate Dan Mullen but Auburn desperately needs Tennessee and Florida to be good enough in the East to compete with Georgia.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Florida seems like such an easy gig.  You are literally surrounded by top 100 recruits.  You play in the SEC East which outside of UGA isn't great.  Florida is a good school.  I hate Dan Mullen but Auburn desperately needs Tennessee and Florida to be good enough in the East to compete with Georgia.

It’s one of the great mysteries of college football that a program with the kind of built-in advantages that the Gators have struggles to find decent coaching. 

7 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Well they just fired Grantham and their Oline coach.

Wow.  I don't recall another CFB season when there were so many coaches getting fired in the middle of a season like 2021.  Is it due to the hyper toxic social medias like twitter?  It seems extra salty this year.

3 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Wow.  I don't recall another CFB season when there were so many coaches getting fired in the middle of a season like 2021.  Is it due to the hyper toxic social medias like twitter?  It seems extra salty this year.

It’s possible. Suits/admin are really dumb when it comes to social media. They think it’s really indicative of how a fan base feels. They see some angry tweets and then panic. Happens in every industry. It’s pretty pathetic.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, woodford said:

It’s possible. Suits/admin are really dumb when it comes to social media. They think it’s really indicative of how a fan base feels. They see some angry tweets and then panic. Happens in every industry. It’s pretty pathetic.  

Yup, a semi-coordinated Twitter attack by a small but extremely “loud” group of folks can make management/stock holders very nervous. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Well they just fired Grantham and their Oline coach.

Grantham been on borrowed time for awhile. His personality/demeanor does not give him much wiggle room wherever he is

Dan Mullen has always been a weird, kind of anti-social dude. It worked alright at MSU where the spotlight wasn't as bright, and he wasn't expected to recruit at a high level, but it doesn't work at a big time job where he has the spotlight of a high expectation fanbase, the media, and battling the best in the country for every recruit. 

Dan would really be a best fit for a coordinator role where focuses on his side of the ball, on the Xs and Os and isn't expected to be the face of the program and interact with so many people. 

The whole UF situation is so strange. I think Mullen is a good coach but this thing is just weird. Firing Grantham makes the team better I'd think, and Emory Jones graduating will help.

I think they have a good year next season with Anthony Richardson and any DC that's halfway competent.

It'll just be interesting to see if Dan makes it that far. 

22 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

The whole UF situation is so strange. I think Mullen is a good coach but this thing is just weird. Firing Grantham makes the team better I'd think, and Emory Jones graduating will help.

I think they have a good year next season with Anthony Richardson and any DC that's halfway competent.

It'll just be interesting to see if Dan makes it that far. 

I think Dan’s biggest issue is that his coaching apple didn’t fall far enough away from his old boss’s (U. Meyer) tree. He’s the same kinda guy: can’t tell him no, thinks he walks on water, and always (in his mind) the smartest guy in the room. The time for him to right the ship was post SEC title game last year. I think he’s more or less sunk now

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

I think Dan’s biggest issue is that his coaching apple didn’t fall far enough away from his old boss’s (U. Meyer) tree. He’s the same kinda guy: can’t tell him no, thinks he walks on water, and always (in his mind) the smartest guy in the room. The time for him to right the ship was post SEC title game last year. I think he’s more or less sunk now

Biggest difference is Urban recruits and Dan doesn't.

Time and time again it shows how critical recruiting is

Edited by W.E.D

42 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Much as I dislike him, Kirby Smart said it best: “there isn’t a coach out there who can outcoach recruiting” 

Edited by AUAlumnTN
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Win4AU said:

One of the best top 5 gigs in America. UF should compete for the playoff every year . 

8 hours ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I believe, especially with HCs, the early signing day has a little to do with the early exit of coaches.  A program, if they are serious about making a move, would rather start getting a head start on hiring a new coach then wait until the end of the season when there is only a week or so until early signing day.  The early signing day is not the major reason to let a HC go, but may play into the decision to let him go in the middle of a season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So true. Impossible to succeed (at a high level) in CFB if you’re not obsessed with or have a staff that’s obsessed with recruiting. 

Dan Mullen has the keys to a Ferrari but he’d rather take the bus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1