Harsin didn’t consider QB change in loss

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Gotcha. Glad we cleared that up.

To start, A&M’s defense had A LOT to do with how poorly the offense played. They clearly made great use of their bye week. That said, I disagree that execution was the only flaw here. A 2-1 pass/run ratio in a game that was three to six points out of reach for most of the duration points to poor preparation

Not sure on your ratio math, 41 passes to 29 runs does not equal 2-1.  The last 7 plays were passes after Bo took that 15 yard loss on the sack.  So prior to that snap the ratio was basically 1:1.  34/29.    Some of this script was because of several first down runs/penalties resulted in second and longs.  Several pass plays were essentially designed runs to the running back as well.  It did seem like we passed a lot more.  I was surprised when I look it up on how balanced it was.

Edited by auburnphan

17 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Actually I disagree. We tried opening it up a few times and going over the top. The first time was a great play but bo threw a bad pass. The second time was a flea flicker that he fumbled. This really rattled him. Then he fumbled the very next play which was the backbreaker.

Two or three times a game we need to go deep. We tried that and failed.

3 yrs starting in this conference he gets rattled & still has difficulty reading defenses.  Running around holding the ball outstretched with one hand trying to scamper around defenses like in high school, that crap resulted in a fumble.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Several pass plays were essentially designed runs to the running back as well

Exactly. Our run blocking is so bad right now, especially on inside runs that we're having to really scheme away from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It definitely could've been better, but poor execution always makes it look that way. To me, there were a lot of opportunities to counter plays they were obviously prepared for.

A few that would've gashed them...

They were keying hard on the backs in the flats and the OLB and safeties we're triggering hard. A simple angle route off the flat would've been wide open.

Another option is run the angle with the back but send the TE streaking down the hash. No matter, the LB is on a bind. Cover the angle hit the TE in front of the safety, take the TE, hit the angle underneath.

Send out the same quad formation that we hit shivers for a screen early on. Pump the screen, fake the block, and run a fly. Their corners were squatting and the safeties we're screaming towards the LoS. They were primed for double moves.

Continue lining up in Ace with 13 personnel. They couldn't figure out their alignments and allowed for better interior lanes for Tank.

Shivers was hitting the holes faster on inside runs. I would've continued to feed him.

With their corners and backers squatting, I would've run some mesh concepts with in breaking routes behind them.

I'd have tried to trap their aggressive DL with some wham and outside trap.

I would've tried some true draw, RB screen, and maybe a reverse or two to counter their speed and aggressiveness, hopefully making them half a step slower.

Just some thoughts...

Thanks.  

Don’t agree with Shivers, I remember him running 3 times and being stuffed at the line on two of them.  He definitely has only one speed though and I thought he had a solid game.

I felt they game planned for Bo’s tendencies very well.

we don’t seem to really do many if any draws(we should) and Bo is not consistent on screen throws, he rifled that one by Shivers which was set up for a big gain as quickly as shivers gets going.

• Like 2

Just now, auburnphan said:

Thanks.  

Don’t agree with Shivers, I remember him running 3 times and being stuffed at the line on two of them.  He definitely has only one speed though and I thought he had a solid game.

I felt they game planned for Bo’s tendencies very well.

we don’t seem to really do many if any draws(we should) and Bo is not consistent on screen throws, he rifled that one by Shivers which was set up for a big gain as quickly as shivers gets going.

To me Shivers just needs a crease and the other two need a bit more of a lane. It seems that the creases are more prevalent with our OL. Some games are set up for different players. I thought TAMU was primed for a big day from Worm.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me Shivers just needs a crease and the other two need a bit more of a lane. It seems that the creases are more prevalent with our OL. Some games are set up for different players. I thought TAMU was primed for a big day from Worm.

Agreed, I just edited my post as I felt I left that thought incomplete and didn’t say what I meant it to say.  Or tried to, lol.  Yeah Shivers is our best inside guy, tank has been trying to hit home runs instead of getting what he can out of most inside runs in my opinion.  I mentioned that earlier in the season as well.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, keesler said:

3 yrs starting in this conference he gets rattled & still has difficulty reading defenses.  Running around holding the ball outstretched with one hand trying to scamper around defenses like in high school, that crap resulted in a fumble.  

I agree with your frustrations, my word, not yours, but I don't think he was expected to read defenses with Gus at the helm. He basically had one receiver to throw to and anyone else was apparently a decoy. He could certainly secure the ball better. I keep thinking how frustrated Harsin is, seeing these things and thinking he doesn't have a better option at this point. 

Edit- And I know it's not all on Bo either. Harsin doesn't have better options at many offensive positions. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Agreed, I just edited my post as I felt I left that thought incomplete and didn’t say what I meant it to say.  Or tried to, lol.  Yeah Shivers is our best inside guy, tank has been trying to hit home runs instead of getting what he can out of most inside runs in my opinion.  I mentioned that earlier in the season as well.

Yeah, Tank ran himself out of a lot of yards Saturday by not following his blocks or bouncing before the holes opened. That's usually a trust issue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, keesler said:

I'm not getting into another back and forth  with you DAG.

You are wrong, I never once hyped this team to be of playoff caliber.  I made a freaking statement, that IF Auburn won the rest of the regular season AND won the conference, they'd be in the playoffs, period.  I'm no bandwagon fan, I don't jump on and off on a whim.  What's ridiculous is you to even replying to my posts at all, just put me on ignore. 

Now you are in your feelings. You absolutely were fully engaged in that conversation, and bought completely into the hype. Now you are upset because we loss to a quality Texas A&M team. But I am fine with ignoring your posts. Another to the list for me haha

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yeah, Tank ran himself out of a lot of yards Saturday by not following his blocks or bouncing before the holes opened. That's usually a rust issue.

He had a huge ass hole and completely disregarded it. I could not believe it .

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

Good on Nix for owning up to his mistakes:

“An experienced quarterback like myself, I shouldn't make those kinds of plays,” Nix said of his unforced fumble. “I should just tuck it and take the loss and live to play another down. That’s completely on me; it should have never happened.”

“All of the offense can do better, starting with myself, and then going along down the line,” Nix said. “We have to do a better job being consistent in all aspects of the game — rushing and throwing, then sprinkling in some creativity in there. We’ve just got to play better. We’ve shown it in the past few weeks; we’ve played well. We’ve just go to do better moving forward.”

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DAG said:

He had a huge as hole and completely disregarded it. I could not believe it .

Maybe one of the biggest holes I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

Maybe one of the biggest holes I've ever seen. 

Little things like that make a major difference in close games 

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

Little things like that make a major difference in close games 

Yeah, that should have been a TD. Bo missed a TD to JJohnson. Anders missed a FG he usually hits. One or two of those flips the game. 

When you think of it that way, the overall performance wasn't too terrible against a good team coming off a bye and playing at home. Although scoring 3 points is never okay, I should have realized the cards were stacked against AU this game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yeah, that should have been a TD. Bo missed a TD to JJohnson. Anders missed a FG he usually hits. One or two of those flips the game. 

When you think of it that way, the overall performance wasn't too terrible against a good team coming off a bye and playing at home. Although scoring 3 points is never okay, I should have realized the cards were stacked against AU this game. 

Exactly . That is what some people aren’t getting . They are acting like we were unmatched from the start when any one of those things would’ve gave us the lead and momentum. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Exactly . That is what some people aren’t getting . They are acting like we were unmatched from the start when any one of those things would’ve gave us the lead and momentum. 

This right here and that's the most frustrating thing is we see it, Harsin sees it,  how actually close we are to winning not only this game but Penn State too, Georgia would have been a lot closer if we just do those little things, I believe we will get there, but man it's so frustrating when you go back and watch the replays. I just hope we don't end up like Nebraska where they seem to always close to finally winning again and end up finding ways to lose. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, autiger88 said:

This right here and that's the most frustrating thing is we see it, Harsin sees it,  how actually close we are to winning not only this game but Penn State too, Georgia would have been a lot closer if we just do those little things, I believe we will get there but man it's so frustrating when you go back and watch the replays. I just hope we don't end up like Nebraska where they seem to always close to finally winning again and end up finding ways to lose. 

I doubt we will be like that . Nebraskas can't even beat the teams they are more talented than consistently.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I doubt we will be like that . Nebraskas can't even beat the teams they are more talented than consistently.

Now that's true I'll give you that one that keeps my hopes alive lol. 

• Haha 1

I think the change was made vs GSU because that might’ve been a damn near fireable offense and there was already a ton of heat. I think it was made vs LSU because they were listless and it seemed like they were gonna get wiped out for a good second 

40 minutes ago, alberttjohn8 said:

I think the change was made vs GSU because that might’ve been a damn near fireable offense and there was already a ton of heat. I think it was made vs LSU because they were listless and it seemed like they were gonna get wiped out for a good second 

The series they gave Finley against LSU was scripted. They were going to give him that series no matter what as a reward for what he did against GSU and because LSU was his former team. The quotes from Harsin were all out there the week after. 

13 hours ago, DAG said:

He had a huge ass hole and completely disregarded it. I could not believe it .

Just wanted to give a shout out to the space bar. It can really be the MVP of keystrokes in some sentences.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just wanted to give a shout out to the space bar. It can really be the MVP of keystrokes in some sentences.

Bahaha . That sentence would’ve liked wild if I hadn’t 

• Haha 1