Harsin didn’t consider QB change in loss

aubiefifty

On 11/7/2021 at 12:28 PM, passthebiscuits said:

He’s not going to step up into the pocket

Except he did the past few games before Saturday.

• Like 3

I do think that it is important to recognize that Tx A&M's defense played their tails off.  They are talented and well coached.  My biggest disappointment in our game, other than QB play, was our inability to make any recognizable adjustments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Except he did the past few games before Saturday.

I do think some of it was the fact that the pocket collapsed early so often that Bo started hearing footsteps on every snap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I do think that it is important to recognize that Tx A&M's defense played their tails off.  They are talented and well coached.  My biggest disappointment in our game, other than QB play, was our inability to make any recognizable adjustments.

Bingo!

I made basically the same statement regarding adjustments and was bashed for being irrational. :dunno:

Edited by keesler
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Just what exactly are you attempting to accomplish here champ? 

nothing, just asked you why you thought something that you said and how you would do it differently.  was just a basic question.  I personally had no problem with the game plan offensively and did not see it as a problem.  Just wanted to know what you saw and how it could have been better

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Bingo!

I made basically the same statement regarding adjustments and was bashed for being irrational. :dunno:

Definitely not irrational. Lack of adjustments is the story of the game I would say

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

nothing, just asked you why you thought something that you said and how you would do it differently.  was just a basic question.  I personally had no problem with the game plan offensively and did not see it as a problem.  Just wanted to know what you saw and how it could have been better

Not that I don’t believe you but you do see how the phrasing of your question might give the impression that you were less genuinely curious and more “trying to bait me into an argument”, yes? 

1 minute ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Not that I don’t believe you but you do see how the phrasing of your question might give the impression that you were less genuinely curious and more “trying to bait me into an argument”, yes? 

That is not how I operate.  Sorry if it came off that way.  I just didn’t want the we scored three points therefore the game plan sucked response.  

I thought the game plan was solid but the execution was poor.  I give credit to A&M players for making plays, especially individuals when we had one guy to beat they made the tackle or play.  I also thought Texas A&M game planned well for Bo’s tendencies, they blitzed from the outside knowing he would run away from the blitz and not step up in the pocket therefore taking over half the field away to throw the ball.  

13 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

That is not how I operate.  Sorry if it came off that way.  I just didn’t want the we scored three points therefore the game plan sucked response.  

I thought the game plan was solid but the execution was poor.  I give credit to A&M players for making plays, especially individuals when we had one guy to beat they made the tackle or play.  I also thought Texas A&M game planned well for Bo’s tendencies, they blitzed from the outside knowing he would run away from the blitz and not step up in the pocket therefore taking over half the field away to throw the ball.  

I respectfully disagree. How can ur game plan be solid when the QB is asked to do a lot of something that isn’t his strength. The fade is still being used and its clear Auburn don’t have the receivers to execute that play either. It’s a new week on to State.

44 minutes ago, keesler said:

Bingo!

You got bashed for saying you can’t see a bright side in the future which was your own doing since you hyped the team to be of playoff caliber. Now you want to jump off the bandwagon like a feel others. It’s ridiculous. This was always going to be a season of bumps and bruises.

23 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Gotcha. Glad we cleared that up.

To start, A&M’s defense had A LOT to do with how poorly the offense played. They clearly made great use of their bye week. That said, I disagree that execution was the only flaw here. A 2-1 pass/run ratio in a game that was three to six points out of reach for most of the duration points to poor preparation

20 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

To start, A&M’s defense had A LOT to do with how poorly the offense played. They clearly made great use of their bye week. That said, I disagree that execution was the only flaw here. A 2-1 pass/run ratio in a game that was three to six points out of reach for most of the duration points to poor preparation

There were some stacked line/max protect runs early that worked, that I wish were implemented just a bit more so we could’ve play actioned off of them 

The one thing I do miss from the previous regime is the lack of deep PA attempts. What you’re working with limits your opportunities, and we don’t seem to have a burner or a ton of time to work with, but I think you gotta at least give a couple attempts just to make Ds respect that possibility. 

In my mind, it’s like a spectrum of attempts. We’re too little and Gus was wayyy too many. I also feel like that’s how it is with read options. We just don’t attempt any of those and it’s mind boggling with the QB we have 

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I am just trying to figure out why is the fade play being used. That play is the definition of insanity. 

I agree 100%. I think we have called that play four or five times this year and it is a disaster every time. I don’t get it. Neither the quarterback nor the receivers are good enough to pull this off at this point. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AUAlumnTN said:

Argument or explanation?

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

You got bashed for saying you can’t see a bright side in the future which was your own doing since you hyped the team to be of playoff caliber. Now you want to jump off the bandwagon like a feel others. It’s ridiculous. This was always going to be a season of bumps and bruises.

I'm not getting into another back and forth  with you DAG.

You are wrong, I never once hyped this team to be of playoff caliber.  I made a freaking statement, that IF Auburn won the rest of the regular season AND won the conference, they'd be in the playoffs, period.  I'm no bandwagon fan, I don't jump on and off on a whim.  What's ridiculous is you to even replying to my posts at all, just put me on ignore. 

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

my mind, it’s like a spectrum of attempts. We’re too little and Gus was wayyy too many. I also feel like that’s how it is with read options. We just don’t attempt any of those and it’s mind boggling with the QB we have 

Actually I disagree. We tried opening it up a few times and going over the top. The first time was a great play but bo threw a bad pass. The second time was a flea flicker that he fumbled. This really rattled him. Then he fumbled the very next play which was the backbreaker.

Two or three times a game we need to go deep. We tried that and failed.

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Argument or explanation?

We got to an explanation eventually but in my experience the phrase “tell me how you would have done it better/differently” is quite often the prelude to an argument. 

50 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

I just started re watching the game and either the offensive staff STILL doesn't understand the capabilities of the players (O line for example) OR the A&M players were way more prepared for the offense than the coaches assumed. Case in point: Auburn's first FG drive. 1st and 10 at around the 17. A reverse(?) to Shivers. #47 is pulling to block. The RT ignores the linebacker and helps with double team. only when the LB is making a bee line to where Shivers in heading does the RT peel back to chase down the LB.  There is NO WAY #59 can delay at all and still have  chance at getting a hat on the LB. Maybe they thought the LB would stay still or lean the other way (thinking Nix kept it) long enough for #59 to get to him (he couldn't)

Of course if Nix keeps it, he's still running...but all 11 defenders were keyed on Shivers it seemed.

Edited by EastAl_Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

how you would have done it better

It definitely could've been better, but poor execution always makes it look that way. To me, there were a lot of opportunities to counter plays they were obviously prepared for.

A few that would've gashed them...

They were keying hard on the backs in the flats and the OLB and safeties we're triggering hard. A simple angle route off the flat would've been wide open.

Another option is run the angle with the back but send the TE streaking down the hash. No matter, the LB is on a bind. Cover the angle hit the TE in front of the safety, take the TE, hit the angle underneath.

Send out the same quad formation that we hit shivers for a screen early on. Pump the screen, fake the block, and run a fly. Their corners were squatting and the safeties we're screaming towards the LoS. They were primed for double moves.

Continue lining up in Ace with 13 personnel. They couldn't figure out their alignments and allowed for better interior lanes for Tank.

Shivers was hitting the holes faster on inside runs. I would've continued to feed him.

With their corners and backers squatting, I would've run some mesh concepts with in breaking routes behind them.

I'd have tried to trap their aggressive DL with some wham and outside trap.

I would've tried some true draw, RB screen, and maybe a reverse or two to counter their speed and aggressiveness, hopefully making them half a step slower.

Just some thoughts...

34 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Actually I disagree. We tried opening it up a few times and going over the top. The first time was a great play but bo threw a bad pass. The second time was a flea flicker that he fumbled. This really rattled him. Then he fumbled the very next play which was the backbreaker.

Two or three times a game we need to go deep. We tried that and failed.

I’d need to really see that flea flicker on the field cam. The way the announcers spoke, and just looking at the WR who threw it to him (think it was Hudson), I didn’t feel like there was anything deep. Although I suppose I said deep attempts and not deep completions, so you got me there 

My stream was buggy during the first quarter but I heard a lot about that first missed pass. Can’t comment on that one. My mind was thinking like 5+ deep attempts, but that’s predicated on having watched the Alabamas, UGAs and Ole Misses do that. Probably not league average