Harsin didn’t consider QB change in loss

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

TJ would have been sacked 10 times in that game.  That could make it 10 times worse.  

That whole handling pressure thing seems massively unsubstantiated. Dude showed great pocket mobility and awareness to get the ball out vs GSU when Nix didn’t. And even if he got sacked 10 times, he would’ve had to turn the ball over while being sacked and have a TD come off of that to be 10x worse than the back to back fumbles Nix had 

Harsin has said many times that his QB has to be:

Tough, a good decision maker, and accurate

Bo is very tough and has improved his decision making. But the accuracy (and ball security) is still a deficiency. I wouldn’t mind Finley getting the start Saturday. 

35 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah but the defense looked terrible against them. Forced a couple TOs and got a special teams TO but gave up 4.5 yards a run and 7.7 yards a pass. I feel like that’s about double what we had in both categories

Agreed. Hell sometimes i am just looking at the W_L numbers. I see A&M beating the reigning National Champs and the number one team in the country at that time and we didn't let them score an offensive touchdown so i reckon  that's my piss poor way of looking at it. I'm still scratching my head about Bo. And believe me I have ZERO place in this world to even attempt to discuss someone's quarter back skills.  He does remind me of Johnny Football sometimes. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Harsin has said many times that his QB has to be:

Tough, a good decision maker, and accurate

Bo is very tough and has improved his decision making. But the accuracy (and ball security) is still a deficiency. I wouldn’t mind Finley getting the start Saturday. 

If TJ were to start Saturday then that means he is the guy for the rest of the season good or bad . Then if he doesn’t do as expected the board will really explode and want to go back to Nix but it will be to late. We shall see what happens

• Like 2

Outside of an injury or something bizarre TJ isn’t starting a game this year.  If Bo comes out and isn’t any better will TJ come in?  Sure.  I could have seen TJ coming in yesterday but by that point it wouldn’t have changed the outcome.  Yesterday was about getting beat at the line of scrimmage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

TJ would have been sacked 10 times in that game.  That could make it 10 times worse.  

You realize we only scored 3 points right? One of the worst and most embarrassing offensive performances in a while. So I don't see how it's possible that it could have been 10 times worse.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

There's no reason for you to make that assumption

As I said before many times, I honestly don't care who the QB is as long as they are the one that is giving us the best shot to win. Anyone who suits up in the Orange and Blue is gonna get cheered. Bo Nix is average at best QB who everyone seems to want to be something that he is clearly not. That doesn't mean I don't cheer for him. I want us to win. But clearly Bo was not the best option yesterday for us to win.

His on the road issues made their way out again and well he should have been pulled and TJ  put in as in the GA St game and in a series in LSU game. It seemed in the LSU game it woke Bo up and when he got back in he balled it out for us to win. Maybe yesterday that could have happened as well who knows, but keeping a guy in who was clearly struggling was flat out the wrong call. Especially with the West still in our hands at the time. Harsin has shown to be better than that, so to not even consider a change is pretty head-shaking.

If you put TJ in and we still lost, so what.  At least we would have attempted a change. Keeping in Bo was a guaranteed loss anyway as it showed.

I'm sure there are reasons why this analogy doesn't make complete sense and people will quickly point them out (for example in baseball a team has 5, not 1, starting pitchers and everybody knows the old expression if you got 2 qbs you don't have one) but assume your starting pitcher comes out in the first inning and for whatever reason he is missing the strike zone.   He is missing both high and low.   He fumbles a couple of balls hit back at him.   And, it never gets better.   At some point, before you lose the game you have to go get him.   You don't know what your reliever is going to do, but you know you need to try something different.    The beauty is that in football you can pull your starter, stand beside him and ask him what he is seeing while the reliever plays.   You can calm him down.    If the reliever gives up a couple of dingers, you can even put the starter back in.      I think the difference is that on most football teams there is a clear QB1, and it is also clear QB2 would not perform any better.   Maybe that is the case with us, but if so, why did we make the change in the Ga So game?   We must have believed there was a possibility/probability TJ would perform better, not worse, than Bo.  I say all that while recognizing that the toughest part about being a fan is only having about 5% of the info the coaches have (and having even less skin in the game as them).  

7 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

What can TJ do better than Bo? Throw? Probably… but guess what - we can’t catch passes so it would not matter. He can’t run as well as Bo. So why would the coach put a statue quarterback in the game? One that has not played in weeks… only to watch the WRs drop his passes. 

Also we were tied 3-3 in the third and Bo drove us down the field for an easy fg… that we missed. 

Just pointing this fact out. No missed  2 open TD passes (1 to JJohnson bc of the same problem he has had for 3 years now: can not put air under his long throws and let the receiver run under the ball; the other ball was to Hudson open for a TD which he threw offline 3 Ft. To the right) We lost by 2 TD and a FG, 1 TD Bo gift wrapped by fumbling.

My analysis: If being 9-3 or 8-4 is acceptable, we have our man at QB if not, time to try somebody else.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

With how our offensive line is playing in that game TJ would have been sacked.  He just isn’t as mobile as Nix. Sure, he may not fumble in this game but the likelihood of getting sacked more will put more pressure on our defense to keep Texas A&M out of the end zone with where they would start with the ball.  I am not saying he is a bad QB, just more of a pocket passer.  The problem was there was not much of a pocket this game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, au302 said:

You realize we only scored 3 points right? One of the worst and most embarrassing offensive performances in a while. So I don't see how it's possible that it could have been 10 times worse.

Last year when Finley played against Texas A&M he went 8 for 25 with two interceptions.  Texas A&M’s defense is even better this year.  With no pocket I don’t even think we could have gotten three points.  Nothing against him at all.  He is a pocket passer (and a good one).  But that game we had no pocket for him to excel.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Agreed. Hell sometimes i am just looking at the W_L numbers. I see A&M beating the reigning National Champs and the number one team in the country at that time and we didn't let them score an offensive touchdown so i reckon  that's my piss poor way of looking at it. I'm still scratching my head about Bo. And believe me I have ZERO place in this world to even attempt to discuss someone's quarter back skills.  He does remind me of Johnny Football sometimes. 

Bo doesn’t come close to Johnny football.   Bo is Johnny football lite.  Johnny football was cool under pressure and two remarkable years in college.  

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

the powers behind the throne so to speak? that would be a great question to ask wde? for the record i said i wonder if there was pressure. i am not anti bo. he has given some us some great games this year and then there is bad bo. so if you think that is my reasoning you would be wrong. hell i own a bo knows t s*** that is bo nix and not bo nix. i hope bo balls out because when he does well auburn does well normally.

Why would “the powers behind the throne “ want to pressure the coach to play a qb that said coach thinks is not the best option? What reasoning would explain that?

21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

problem was there was not much of a pocket this game.

OR anyone to catch the ball… or any room to run. Bo was terrible but so was every other part of the offense. It was always 2nd and 10. 
I can’t believe after three years that bo is this bad. It is also pitiful that after 8 years with Gus we are without any WR that can catch and without any offensive lineman that can block. And it is only going to get worse next year when those players graduate because we did not recruit ANY OL for years.…

unless we find a ton of players in the portal, we are in trouble 

makes me sick… 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

OR anyone to catch the ball… or any room to run. Bo was terrible but so was every other part of the offense. It was always 2nd and 10. 
I can’t believe after three years that bo is this bad. It is also pitiful that after 8 years with Gus we are without any WR that can catch and without any offensive lineman that can block. And it is only going to get worse next year when those players graduate because we did not recruit ANY OL for years.…

unless we find a ton of players in the portal, we are in trouble 

makes me sick… 

We need some major portal help on offensive line or next year will be ugly.  I wonder if Bo and Tank will want to return with what we have left on O Line.  Hate to be a gloom and doomer but we need a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

I'm sure there are reasons why this analogy doesn't make complete sense and people will quickly point them out (for example in baseball a team has 5, not 1, starting pitchers and everybody knows the old expression if you got 2 qbs you don't have one) but assume your starting pitcher comes out in the first inning and for whatever reason he is missing the strike zone.   He is missing both high and low.   He fumbles a couple of balls hit back at him.   And, it never gets better.   At some point, before you lose the game you have to go get him.   You don't know what your reliever is going to do, but you know you need to try something different.    The beauty is that in football you can pull your starter, stand beside him and ask him what he is seeing while the reliever plays.   You can calm him down.    If the reliever gives up a couple of dingers, you can even put the starter back in.      I think the difference is that on most football teams there is a clear QB1, and it is also clear QB2 would not perform any better.   Maybe that is the case with us, but if so, why did we make the change in the Ga So game?   We must have believed there was a possibility/probability TJ would perform better, not worse, than Bo.  I say all that while recognizing that the toughest part about being a fan is only having about 5% of the info the coaches have (and having even less skin in the game as them).  

I would say Ga State was a desperation move. Couldnt risk probably having the worst loss in Auburn history. Moving to yesterday there is no guarantee TJ would have done better his throws look better but he missed throws in the GA State game as well. Lastly U can’t flip flop back and forth this late in the season unless u cool being in the situation like Florida. Look what the flip flopping is doing for them. 

The most popular player on every campus is the backup quarterback. Bo played his worst game of the season and one of the worst of his career yesterday. However, Auburn’s offense had issues at every position up to and including play-caller. Simply benching Bo in favor of TJ doesn’t fix the poor blocking, catching, route-running, scheme, etc. around him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

With how our offensive line is playing in that game TJ would have been sacked.  He just isn’t as mobile as Nix. Sure, he may not fumble in this game but the likelihood of getting sacked more will put more pressure on our defense to keep Texas A&M out of the end zone with where they would start with the ball.  I am not saying he is a bad QB, just more of a pocket passer.  The problem was there was not much of a pocket this game.

This is not logical thinking at all.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

This is not logical thinking at all.

How is this not logical?  Comparing in a post below the one you quoted shows how he performed against Texas A&M’s defense.  What makes you think he would do any better than Nix?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Their mobility isn't an assumption, it's a known.

There were multiple plays in the backfield by Nix that extended plays. In his career, Finley has yet to show the ability to make similar plays.

21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

How is this not logical?  Comparing in a post below the one you quoted shows how he performed against Texas A&M’s defense.  What makes you think he would do any better than Nix?

Your logic is over simplified in assumptions.  He is less mobile therefore he will get sacked 10 times more.

TJ may be better at reading a defense and picking up where a blitz is coming from.

TJ is willing to stand in the pocket and make a throw before getting hit and then take the hit

TJ would probably throw the ball away before running backwards 10 yards.

You can't assume that they are the same player mentally and see things the same therefore will react the same.

are just some examples of why

Showing how he performed against A&M last year has zero value at all. He is on a different team, different offense, different coaches, and different play callers.  Not to mention the changes on A&M's defense with personnel.  This isn't baseball where you can base past experience off of facing the same pitcher.

At no point did I ever say that I think TJ would do better than Bo.  That is just another case where you are making assumptions.

11 hours ago, alexava said:

Why would he be pressured to play Bo? Who would do it? This idea has never made a bit sense to me from day 1. Here it still keeps coming up.

Tinfoil hats are the new trucker cap.  

That’s why this diatribe keeps coming up.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Just because he isn't as fast as Bo it's unfair to assume that he would take all these sacks just because. The little he did play he showed he's much more agile than most say about him and QB's can get the ball out. It's why just because a guy doesn't run a 4.4 doesn't equate to sacks. Theoretically Bo shouldn't be taking these sacks. 

But just like you'd have a post upset if anybody wrote about no you shouldn't just say stuff about another player.

And I don't think Bo should constantly get pulled personally

• Like 1