Harsin didn’t consider QB change in loss

aubiefifty

Bryan Harsin didn't consider another 2nd-half QB change in loss to Aggies

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

5-6 minutes

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix (10) fumbles the ball as Texas A&M defensive lineman Jayden Peevy (92) defends during the second half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021, in College Station, Texas. Texas A&M recovered the fumble for a touchdown. Texas A&M won 20-3. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)AP

Auburn’s offense was in search of a spark, anything to find some semblance of momentum at Kyle Field, but Bryan Harsin never considered looking to the bench for that potential catalyst.

As Bo Nix — and Auburn’s offense as a whole — trudged through a 20-3 loss to Texas A&M on Saturday afternoon, Harsin maintained his belief in the third-year quarterback and did not contemplate making a change at the position and turning to backup T.J. Finley, as he did in the second half of September’s comeback win against Georgia State.

Read more Auburn football: Instant analysis: Auburn sputters in 20-3 loss to Texas A&M

Auburn has worst offensive performance in years in loss to Aggies

Auburn starting defensive back misses Texas A&M game

“As far as the momentum goes, I felt like Bo could get us back in the game, that we could get that spark,” Harsin said. “That’s something that he’s shown and that we’ve done throughout the season, we just didn’t get it.”

Nix was fresh off the best month of his career as No. 13 Auburn made the trip to College Station, Texas, for a top-15 matchup with 14th-ranked Texas A&M. The junior left Kyle Field with his worst outing of the season — and Auburn’s worst offensive performance in years.

Nix completed 20-of-41 passes for 153 yards, was sacked four times and committed a pair of turnovers, including one that was returned for a touchdown early in the fourth quarter. It was the second time this season and sixth time in his career that Nix failed to complete at least 50 percent of his passes. The 153 passing yards were his fewest of the season and fewest since being limited to 125 yards passing in last year’s regular-season finale against Mississippi State.

The junior didn’t receive much help from the rest of Auburn’s offense, either. The Tigers struggled to establish the run—with just 73 total yards on the ground and no run longer than 14 yards (which came on the game’s opening drive). The offensive line couldn’t maintain protection against well-disguised blitzes from Aggies defensive coordinator Mike Elko’s defense, and skill players again had issues with some dropped passes.

Every time Auburn’s offense crossed midfield, the offense seemingly hit a wall.

“We had some penalties. We had some things that we didn’t help ourselves with. We had a couple of drops in some critical situations,” Harsin said. “About the time you’re trying to get some momentum, you’re moving the ball, you’re kind of getting ready to get past the 50-yard line and make some plays, hopefully on that side of the field and can get us in scoring position, and we just weren’t able to do that.”

It was a difficult game, top to bottom, for Auburn’s offense, which has been a lull for the last six quarters. Things went sideways early in the fourth, when Nix fumbled the ball and it was scooped up by Michael Clemons for a 24-yard touchdown to give Texas A&M a 14-point lead.

Still, the Tigers kept their confidence in Nix, even with Finley — who guided that second-half comeback against Georgia State — waiting in the wings. Nix did, after all, engineer Auburn’s back-to-back wins against ranked opponents entering Saturday. Harsin said after the loss he wanted to go back and watch the game film before fully assessing the offense as a whole and Nix in particular.

“I think on the sideline, we all think we know what happened, and then we go back and study the film, and it was completely different,” Harsin said. “There were other factors in there—the guy was covered. It was a physical game tonight. The receivers have to separate. I thought the officials were letting the guys play, and that was part of the game tonight. It was going to be a physical game. It was going to be a physical game even on the perimeter in coverage.

“There’s also those factors in there as well. Is the guy getting open, is there an opportunity for a throw, what’s making us hold onto the ball in the pocket? Those are some of the things that I don’t have an answer for you right now.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

He might change his mind after watching the tape. I saw panicked throws, bad footwork, and scrambling away from receivers numerous times.  The one thing I’ll say to his credit, our receivers are really bad at recognizing when he’s pressured and adjusting.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

He might change his mind after watching the tape. I saw panicked throws, bad footwork, and scrambling away from receivers numerous times.  The one thing I’ll say to his credit, our receivers are really bad at recognizing when he’s pressured and adjusting.

i cannot believe TJ is that bad. he deserves a shot. i often wonder if harsin has pressure to play bo.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i cannot believe TJ is that bad. he deserves a shot. i often wonder if harsin has pressure to play bo.

I wonder if TJ has checked out after not getting the starting nod at LSU. I love a good conspiracy theory but I find it hard to see Harsin caving to pressure to play a donor's favorite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

No he doesn't, that narrative needs to die. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I didn't see us try any double moves to try to take advantage on them sitting on the short outside routes.   The only long throws I can recall was a post to 6 and a go to 5.

35 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Why would he be pressured to play Bo? Who would do it? This idea has never made a bit sense to me from day 1. Here it still keeps coming up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

Why would he be pressured to play Bo? Who would do it? This idea has never made a bit sense to me from day 1. Here it still keeps coming up.

Yeah, it's more than a little tired. Probably the same ones who insisted Gatewood was better too. Bo did not have a good game, but it was obvious there were a lot of other issues on O yesterday...every single position honestly, including the coordinator. If you can't see that, you've got blinders on. Honestly, our WRs are still pretty clueless.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 1

I thought Bo looked panicked and jacked up from the first snap. The game plan didn’t do him any favors and the wide receivers were struggling with separation but he missed some throws and he was pressing. After the two fumbles, he should have been benched IMO. 

6 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I thought Bo looked panicked and jacked up from the first snap. The game plan didn’t do him any favors and the wide receivers were struggling with separation but he missed some throws and he was pressing. After the two fumbles, he should have been benched IMO. 

That’s a completely fair take. What I can’t wrap my head around is the conspiracy that we have had 2 MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR coaches who have been instructed to play Bo Nix even if it means we lose because his Dad played here 25 years ago. Like we have always had a better option on the sidelines but we have to keep the legacy alive? I mean, he’s a failed college coach, current high school coach who watches from the stadium. Not the sidelines or a suite. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I didn't see us try any double moves to try to take advantage on them sitting on the short outside routes.   The only long throws I can recall was a post to 6 and a go to 5.

Bo doesn’t have enough time, nor does he wait if he does, to see those plays through. He certainly hasn’t shown a knack for getting the ball there even if they’re wide open.

Sometimes... I wish they would play TJ for an entire SEC game just so everyone could see exactly what we have in him and possibly shut up one side or the other about this never ending subject.

After the 3rd quarter, which was our 5th consecutive quarter with only six points, I'd have made a change at QB just to see if something couldn't be "shook a-loose".  Now I'm not at practice and in the meetings with these guys. It's possible that things that happen there have a bearing on who plays.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

That’s a completely fair take. What I can’t wrap my head around is the conspiracy that we have had 2 MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR coaches who have been instructed to play Bo Nix even if it means we lose because his Dad played here 25 years ago. Like we have always had a better option on the sidelines but we have to keep the legacy alive? I mean, he’s a failed college coach, current high school coach who watches from the stadium. Not the sidelines or a suite. 

I believe that argument died when Harsin arrived and sat Nix on the bench. Harsin believes nix gives us the best chance to win or he would not be starting him. My only complaint is that when things go sideways and Nix is all amped up he would sit him down.. there was absolutely no excuse for those two fumbles and he should have sat him down after that.. would it have made a difference? Not sure. But give someone else a look in that situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

After the 3rd quarter, which was our 5th consecutive quarter with only six points, I'd have made a change at QB just to see if something couldn't be "shook a-loose".  Now I'm not at practice and in the meetings with these guys. It's possible that things that happen there have a bearing on who plays.

Yes. I agree with this.. the offense stalled the 2nd half of Ole miss and picked up right where they left off.. not sure Finely would have done any better but at least we get a look.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Sometimes... I wish they would play TJ for an entire SEC game just so everyone could see exactly what we have in him and possibly shut up one side or the other about this never ending subject.

Just based on what I have seen, I would play him every game. But I’m not at practice. When everyone wanted Gatewood to play, I had a contact who knew a player directly. The player said Gatewood was miles behind Bo in every aspect of running an offense ( other than the physical parts)and it wasn’t close. Now Gatewood has been 3 rd string at Kentucky and UCF basically confirmed my inside information was correct. I’m pretty sure coaches want to win worse than we do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

there was absolutely no excuse for those two fumbles and he should have sat him down after that..

I can't lie, I was right there too after I stopped cussing and seeing red.  I knew he had lost it mentally at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

On the first fumble, was anyone open downfield?   One of the commentators indicated no.   Who was running the route?  I'm curious. 

I think it was just a pass in the flats. Not that it made sense...

TJ wasn’t going to help.  Out of the 20 caught passes, only five of those were caught by receivers.  Are the receivers solely to blame?  No.  It was bad all of the way around. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, alexava said:

he is a legacy. it is weird because we have cams brother and he does not get treated like a legacy unless bringing him to auburn was what they did for him. who knows but a lot of the old timers and some supposedly in the know say over and over. my opinion? play the best player you have. maybe bo is it because we have no idea how tj is doing in practice.

2 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I can't lie, I was right there too after I stopped cussing and seeing red.  I knew he had lost it mentally at that point.

sad but true. even if for a break sit bo and let him watch the game to see what is going on. leaders HAVE to lead and i do not believe he did that yesterday. but i think a&m has the best d in the sec after ga. those guys can probably make a whole lot of folks look bad.

I think the change was made vs GSU because that might’ve been a damn near fireable offense and there was already a ton of heat. I think it was made vs LSU because they were listless and it seemed like they were gonna get wiped out for a good second 

I don’t think any existential risk was presented today. There wasn’t any external pressure applied. The GSU game is a closer comparison than LSU (because of the timing of Bo completely losing it), and I’d say he looked even more mentally shaken yesterday than back then. 
I think the best time to give him a series would’ve been mid to late 3rd. We really only had one great 3rd quarter drive that I can remember, so it’s not like you would’ve messed up the flow. 

• Like 1