Worst offensive performance in years

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I agree. You can tell he has improved but he will never be what we all hoped he would be when he signed. It is what it is…

It is an extremely rare event when someone with those expectations is actually capable of living up to them.

Can you imagine the comments that would have been made had Gus been the one calling that reverse flea flicker  that resulted in an Aggie TD?  Oh my.....

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Can you imagine the comments that would have been made had Gus been the one calling that reverse flea flicker  that resulted in an Aggie TD?  Oh my.....

Give the howlers the rest of this season and half of next. By then they will be back to the same ol' gripes, just with a different name.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm not sure. I am sure that he is better working within the pocket. He is better at staying in the pocket. He has a better platform. He doesn't throw of the back foot much anymore. He goes through progressions. He understands and utilizes check downs. 

Those things may have not shown up statistically, but it is significant improvement in his game.

He doesn’t have Seth to bail him out of bad throws this year. The WRs are much worse this year and that’s impacted Bo’s #s considerably.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, shabby said:

I thought Bo has been our best option at QB the last couple of years but at some point we have to be willing to accept that this is the extent of what Bo is as a QB. He got benched in the Georgia State game but Harsin stuck with him and he redeemed himself against LSU. He kept the starting job and had a couple of good games against Arkansas and Ole Miss but once again he had another abysmal game, this time against Texas A&M. Like Bo or not his play ended any chance of Auburn winning with a back breaking fumble that was returned for a TD.

I've supported Bo but he's too inconsistent and that's why Auburn is not going to be a championship team as long as he's the QB. I don't know why at 3 years in why some still refuse to accept that and make excuses for him. Yes there are other issues on offense but Bo has been the common denominator on offense the last 3 years. Most here have no problem saying our o-line is sub par and our receivers are average but for some reason Bo never gets labeled like that even though this is his 3rd year and he's got 33 starts under his belt now.  If he was truly an improved QB this year he would have never gotten benched against Georgia State in the first place. I haven't seen any other QB at Auburn in recent history have as many excuses made for him as Bo Nix has. And that's saying something considering we had the whole Jeremy Johnson/Sean White saga in 2015/2016.

I'm not calling for Bo to benched because I still think he's likely our best option right now for this season but I don't think it we should just settle at QB. I hope Harsin recruits the best QB he can find because he's going to have to recruit o-line, receivers and a QB going forward if he's going to get Auburn to the next level, which Malzahn failed to do the last 3 years.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

He has shown a lot of improvement from the previous seasons. Not necessarily where he should be or where anyone wants him to be, but he's improved a lot.

Why must you always take the words off my keyboard? I concur.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Why must you always take the words off my keyboard? I concur.

Great minds, so obviously You're a well educated, good looking man with superior critical thinking skills, an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, and just overall a gentleman and a scholar. 😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Great minds, so obviously You're a well educated, good looking man with superior critical thinking skills, an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, and just overall a gentleman and a scholar. 😁

sad puke GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/8/2021 at 5:54 AM, AUAlumnTN said:

Auburn doesn’t have the roster talent to overcome bad execution of a mediocre game plan on the road against a quality opponent. That’s been the case for a while now. For all of A&M’s shortcomings under Jimbo, recruiting hasn’t been one of them. 

Auburn’s offense was going to need at least a B+ effort to hang with A&M’s defense and we got a D- effort from the coaches on down. You hate to see it in a game with these stakes. 

recruiting will be  the biggest problem in the next a few yrs

22 hours ago, AU9377 said:

That wasn't the play that resulted in an Aggie TD. 

• Love 1

22 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Not even a full season vs 8? 🤔🙄 Also the play wasn't the one that got them the TD but sure..... 

FlippantHarmfulIndri-size_restricted.gif

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, aucat said:

recruiting will be  the biggest problem in the next a few yrs

Are you saying our recruiting will be the biggest problem or you talking in general? 

If you talking about us, please for the love of God explain how you know that? I don't wanna hear because of how it's going right now bullcrap either because you don't know what's really gonna happen tomorrow much less by next month. Also give me next week's lotto numbers too so I can win please. 

If talking in general why do you say that? Is it because of the NIL or what? 

Edited by autiger88

I was watching replays of some of the plays that resulted in sacks or other extreme pressure on Bo.  One I saw summed it up for me.  We had our 5 down linemen blocking (center, both guards and both tackles).  They rushed their 3 D linemen (no blitz or anything like that just their front).  All 3 simply bull rushed (no stunts or anything like that).  All 3 met at the QB in about 3 seconds.  Their 3 basically just took our 5 and made them look like they were on roller skates.  That leaves 8 to cover anything else we might be trying to do offensively.  There is just so much that scheming, play calling, changing QBs or any such thing is going to get us.  They are occupying our 6 (5 linemen +QB) with their 3.  So they have 8 left to cover our 5 for 3 seconds.  If I’m them I like those odds.  If our 5 can’t block their 3 everything else we are trying to do falls apart.  I don’t care who is calling plays or playing QB, until we can recruit and develop our way out of the deficiencies on our O line we are not going to match up with the teams in our conference with top D lines like UGA, A&M and Bammer.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I was watching replays of some of the plays that resulted in sacks or other extreme pressure on Bo.  One I saw summed it up for me.  We had our 5 down linemen blocking (center, both guards and both tackles).  They rushed their 3 D linemen (no blitz or anything like that just their front).  All 3 simply bull rushed (no stunts or anything like that).  All 3 met at the QB in about 3 seconds.  Their 3 basically just took our 5 and made them look like they were on roller skates.  That leaves 8 to cover anything else we might be trying to do offensively.  There is just so much that scheming, play calling, changing QBs or any such thing is going to get us.  They are occupying our 6 (5 linemen +QB) with their 3.  So they have 8 left to cover our 5 for 3 seconds.  If I’m them I like those odds.  If our 5 can’t block their 3 everything else we are trying to do falls apart.  I don’t care who is calling plays or playing QB, until we can recruit and develop our way out of the deficiencies on our O line we are not going to match up with the teams in our conference with top D lines like UGA, A&M and Bammer.  

I can’t understand how so many can watch, attend and rewatch the A&M game and not come to the same conclusion.  🤷‍♂️

Don’t get me wrong Bo will not be on anyone’s Heisman watchlist at season end but Tom Brady would struggle behind our O-line and with our wide receivers.

Bobo was pretty much forced into the flea flicker because our WRs couldn't get open. The whining over that one play blows me away. Don't know if it was going to be successful but Bo 100% should have caught that pitch. Just like Kobe Hudson 100% shouldn't have dropped the ball against PSU. At some point y'all have to just acknowledge that we don't have the players.

As for the play that *did* result in a TAMU TD, that was our quarterback just straight dropping the football on the ground for no reason. Which is why I trust that the folks still carrying around hate hard-ons for Jeremy Johnson have officially retired the gif of the backwards pass fumble against LSU. Your boy Bo just did the same damn thing. I'm not beating up on or hating on him. Just want to make sure our standards are consistent. (Just kidding. I know they won't ever be.)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Which is why I trust that the folks still carrying around hate hard-ons for Jeremy Johnson have officially retired the gif of the backwards pass fumble against LSU. Your boy Bo just did the same damn thing.

Yeah, that play entered my head as I was listening to it live.  

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 5:51 PM, shabby said:

When his pitch count is limited, he performs better.  This game plan was a step backwards vs October.  This was more like the Penn State game plan vs the LSU/Ole Miss/Arkansas game plan.  Quality of Opponent had something to do with it I guess,  but I don't understand the lack of QB runs, passes to backs, etc.   I think more than 25 passes puts this offense in a bad position.  I would not give up on the run so easily.  A&M half time adjustments and Auburn play calling made it all worse.  We called plays like we were behind by 2 TDs instead of tied or a field goal away.  I blame the game plan more than Bo...

The fumble was unfortunate.  He has always protected the ball very well.  He was switching arms to run and just lost control.  At that point, if all we were going to do was sling it, would likely been better off with Finley in the game.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, japantiger said:

When his pitch count is limited, he performs better.  This game plan was a step backwards vs October.  This was more like the Penn State game plan vs the LSU/Ole Miss/Arkansas game plan.  Quality of Opponent had something to do with it I guess,  but I don't understand the lack of QB runs, passes to backs, etc.   I think more than 25 passes puts this offense in a bad position.  I would not give up on the run so easily.  A&M half time adjustments and Auburn play calling made it all worse.  We called plays like we were behind by 2 TDs instead of tied or a field goal away.  I blame the game plan more than Bo...

The fumble was unfortunate.  He has always protected the ball very well.  He was switching arms to run and just lost control.  At that point, if all we were going to do was sling it, would likely been better off with Finley in the game.

I disagree.   From the start it was evident that Auburn was not going to get any push at the line of scrimmage and forget about getting to second level on blocks.   Their linebackers were in perfect position on almost all run plays.   

Auburn’s chances were on first down passes.  When it got into second and nine or eight, aTm brought the blitzes.   3rd and long, forget it.   Auburn had little chance to convert.   

Bo’s fumble was the play after he misplayed a trick play.   It was completely evident that he was flustered and not paying attention to the details.   I remember in the first half on the exact same play in which he subsequently fumbled on, he threw a pass left handed (if memory serves me correctly) and a lineman was 10 yards pass the line of scrimmage ( not called by the way, but replayed on tv to clearly show illegal lineman downfield)

On 11/9/2021 at 9:52 AM, aubaseball said:

I disagree.   From the start it was evident that Auburn was not going to get any push at the line of scrimmage and forget about getting to second level on blocks.   Their linebackers were in perfect position on almost all run plays.   

Auburn’s chances were on first down passes.  When it got into second and nine or eight, aTm brought the blitzes.   3rd and long, forget it.   Auburn had little chance to convert.   

Bo’s fumble was the play after he misplayed a trick play.   It was completely evident that he was flustered and not paying attention to the details.   I remember in the first half on the exact same play in which he subsequently fumbled on, he threw a pass left handed (if memory serves me correctly) and a lineman was 10 yards pass the line of scrimmage ( not called by the way, but replayed on tv to clearly show illegal lineman downfield)

No issue throwing on 1st down....I like 1st down throws.  But no matter what, Auburn with Nix at QB will not win a P5 game throwing 41 times.  He should throw no more than 25 times...we'd have been much better off with him or Tank running 16 more times instead of being 50/50 on throws averaging 3 yds a completion.  He is worse on the road and his 4th qtr  completion % is 10 points lower than his 1st qtr %.  This game plan was a big step backwards.  If you think you need to throw 41 times to win; put in Finley.  Not sure he will do any better (statistically he is not better than Nix); but you just know Nix will not deliver a W so why not.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:11 AM, McLoofus said:

As for the play that *did* result in a TAMU TD, that was our quarterback just straight dropping the football on the ground for no reason. Which is why I trust that the folks still carrying around hate hard-ons for Jeremy Johnson have officially retired the gif of the backwards pass fumble against LSU. Your boy Bo just did the same damn thing. I'm not beating up on or hating on him. Just want to make sure our standards are consistent. (Just kidding. I know they won't ever be.)

Except JJ was actually throwing the ball and Bo was running with the ball after he had brought it down. JJ's was an all time classic, lol.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Except JJ was actually throwing the ball and Bo was running with the ball after he had brought it down. JJ's was an all time classic, lol.

Yes, of course there are differences. Others being that Bo is in his 3rd year of starting every game and that he also dropped the ball the very play before. And, primarily, that everyone considers JJ a complete failure while some still blame all of Bo's deficiencies on the the rest of the team. 

I'll admit JJ's goof simply has a funnier look to it. Not sure that's the best way to analyze football, though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Yes, of course there are differences. Others being that Bo is in his 3rd year of starting every game and that he also dropped the ball the very play before. And, primarily, that everyone considers JJ a complete failure while some still blame all of Bo's deficiencies on the the rest of the team. 

I'll admit JJ's goof simply has a funnier look to it. Not sure that's the best way to analyze football, though. 

Thanks.

The post to which you were responding 100% proves my point. The really rich irony is that it also supports things @cole256 has been saying for years. 

Man. Trying to minimize a QB just straight up dropping the ball on the ground without even being touched. Y'all actually put effort into telling on yourselves.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:13 AM, bigbird said:

bird quit preening those feathers and tell me why you never say this about golf? we know he is legend.................

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks.

The post to which you were responding 100% proves my point. The really rich irony is that it also supports things @cole256 has been saying for years. 

Man. Trying to minimize a QB just straight up dropping the ball on the ground without even being touched. Y'all actually put effort into telling on yourselves.

Man. It doesn't prove anything like you are trying, for whatever reason, so hard to infer. All it means is, imo one incident was funnier than the other. It begins and ends there.  

• Like 1