That was not a 17 Point Loss

AUght2win

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

We simply do not have an O line that can hold up against a good defense.  No holes for Tank to run through plus heavy pressure on Bo equals no offense for Auburn.  UGA was the best defense we have played.  A&M was the second best.  A total of 10 points in 8 quarters against those two teams.  In both cases our O line was totally overwhelmed.  It ain’t rocket science. You get beat up front you are beat on the scoreboard.  

It’s pocket science.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, keesler said:

After a loss I have a hard time finding the bright side when I expect a well seasoned SEC OC and an offensive minded HC to make an effort to adjust the offense during the game.  Am I irrational to feel that way?  I think it’s a rational thought and after what I just watched, it’s justified.  

I wouldn't say it's irrational at all to expect those things from Harsin and Bobo if they had the tools to do the job. They simply don't. Some plays weren't successful because some players didn't execute. We weren't that far away from winning this game and we aren't that far away from being a 8-1 team right now. Unfortunately I think we are being all we can be right now with the players we have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I wouldn't say it's irrational at all to expect those things from Harsin and Bobo if they had the tools to do the job. They simply don't. Some plays weren't successful because some players didn't execute. We weren't that far away from winning this game and we aren't that far away from being a 8-1 team right now. Unfortunately I think we are being all we can be right now with the players we have. 

With the way the games have played out, you are spot on.   The bad offensive performance can be laid at the feet of everyone on that side of the ball.   Some credit has to be given to aTm defense.   Except for a few plays they were really sound in their play.   
Auburn is an offensive team that needs everything to be working right to be successful.   There was a couple of plays that could have produced touchdowns but just didn’t execute.  The long pass to #6 and fade to #5.    1st one was an overthrow and 2nd was can’t find the ball.    
I thought the missed field goal was big and the penalty for tackling their punt returner on a fair catch play.   It flipped the field when Auburn was tied 3 to 3 in the 3rd.   

• Like 5

8 hours ago, keesler said:

After a loss I have a hard time finding the bright side when I expect a well seasoned SEC OC and an offensive minded HC to make an effort to adjust the offense during the game.  Am I irrational to feel that way?  I think it’s a rational thought and after what I just watched, it’s justified.  

You can adjust scheme during a game but not talent. We have WRs who cant take the top off a defense and aren’t fast and  physical enough to separate. (We had them last year but had our coach wasted their talent)  We also still don’t have a legit edge rusher on defense. Meanwhile a lot of people on this board and in the SEC in general dislike Jimbo and don’t take the Aggies serious. They have elevated their talent level immensely and have an elite defense. They’re a much better team than us. We can’t discount the importance of winning in Red Stick, and beating two ranked teams back to back. Growing pains are frustrating but time to Beat State and get back on track. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We have WRs who cant take the top off a defense

Disagree. They get open deep. A lot of the time wide open. We are just terrible at throwing deep and have been for years.  I can't think of a QB that has been consistent down field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Disagree. They get open deep. A lot of the time wide open. We are just terrible at throwing deep and have been for years.  I can't think of a QB that has been consistent down field.

Whatttttt 😮😮😮 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

This. We’ve left so many touchdowns on the field because the qb just can’t make an accurate throw. 

Edited by Auburn Tiger

The concern to me isn't the loss on the field, it is the loss off the field. A&M got commitments yesterday from the #1 and #109 players in ESPN's top 300. Saban, Smart, and Fisher have all been recruiting in the top 10 since they arrived. Right now we are ranked 34 and about 10th in the SEC.

Maybe this staff is the type that can develop a 3 star into a 5 star plyer but the reason we looked so inept against Georgia and A&M is because there is an enormous talent gap. If we plan to compete at the top of the SEC we have to be able to recruit at the top and right now, for me at least, it is a major concern.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It's irrational to pretend this team is supposed to be competing for championships. We are ahead of schedule right now. But no amount of coaching is going to fix our lack of receiver skill (drops, no separation) and O-line talent. They've done what they can with Bo but he is still Bo. 

I'm much more concerned about the next two. We should win them both setting up an 8-3 Auburn team vs. a very beatable Alabama at home. 

How are we ahead of schedule?

Last season we beat LSU, Arky and Ole' Miss and lost to UGA and A&M

This season we beat LSU, Arky and Ole' Miss and lost to UGA and A&M

Last year we had ten big regular season games and won six. 60%

This year so far we've had six big games and have won three. 50%.

At Penn State and A&M we had a chance to do something that exceeded last year's accomplishments but couldn't get it done.

If we are, indeed, ahead of schedule the schedule was less than ambitious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yes, they can get open, but they are not consistent by any means doing it, and any QB we put back there will be rushing the throw with our current OL performance. We had too many instances of completely unblocked rushers this game for any QB to settle in and trust his protection. I can't recall the last AU game I saw with that many plays where at least one rusher came through completely clean. 

6 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Yes, they can get open, but they are not consistent by any means doing it, and any QB we put back there will be rushing the throw with our current OL performance. We had too many instances of completely unblocked rushers this game for any QB to settle in and trust his protection. I can't recall the last AU game I saw with that many plays where at least one rusher came through completely clean. 

Oh don't get me wrong. To me, issue one is and has been the OL.  

• Like 1

Just now, bigbird said:

Oh don't get me wrong. To me, issue one is and has been the OL.  

Bird, I think this one was on blocking scheme as much as anything. Its talent when your blockers get beat one on one, and that happened a few times, but I saw way too many plays with blockers coming completely untouched at both Nix and the RBs. That seems like scheme to me. Your coaching opinion? 

1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

Bird, I think this one was on blocking scheme as much as anything. Its talent when your blockers get beat one on one, and that happened a few times, but I saw way too many plays with blockers coming completely untouched at both Nix and the RBs. That seems like scheme to me. Your coaching opinion? 

It’s not a scheme thing.  It’s getting in the right protection alignment and receivers recognizing the play.   QB understanding and making a check at the line, unless Gus is the coach and a play is already determined with no checks.  
yesterday, I saw at least 3 rb screen plays that if executed properly would have been good plays.   Each time the QB looked completely lost and liked he had never practiced the play.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

I think we should be quite pleased with an 8-4 season. Currently I see neither of those two as anywhere near certain with how good USCe looked tonight.

I will be satisfied with 8-4. Said it before the season started. Harsin will be ahead of the curve with 8 wins. Having said that, we could just as easily finish 6-6. We’ll see.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

At Penn State and A&M we had a chance to do something that exceeded last year's accomplishments but couldn't get it done.

I’ll tell you how…in all likelihood Gus would be 5-4 right now. He’s tearing the conference up down there at UCF just as predicted, huh?🙄

28 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Probably more about blitz recognition and who/when to pass off, there was also some missing effort throughout

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keesler said:

Someone posted in another thread that Auburn hasn’t scored a TD in 6 quarters.  It’s hard to find a bright side for an ineffective offense that just cost us a winnable game.

Yeah that’s not good. I didn’t get to watch yesterday so I’m still out of the loop. Disappointing regardless. 

1 hour ago, nurbis said:

The concern to me isn't the loss on the field, it is the loss off the field. A&M got commitments yesterday from the #1 and #109 players in ESPN's top 300. Saban, Smart, and Fisher have all been recruiting in the top 10 since they arrived. Right now we are ranked 34 and about 10th in the SEC.

Maybe this staff is the type that can develop a 3 star into a 5 star plyer but the reason we looked so inept against Georgia and A&M is because there is an enormous talent gap. If we plan to compete at the top of the SEC we have to be able to recruit at the top and right now, for me at least, it is a major concern.

This is a valid concern.  I like the culture change he's installing and it takes time but if anything is going to cut his time at Auburn short it's going to be the recruiting aspect of competing in the SEC.  He's going to have to get that ratcheted up asap or all the new direction stuff will end up being all for naught.

Edited by SRBautigerfan
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah you are irrational when you don't take the collective season into account, IMO. If you want to be responsive, and judge the coaching staff off of this game and .5 of the other, that is fine. Again, when we were winning, you guys were preaching to the heavens how good this coaching staff is and you were one of the main ones running with a two loss Auburn team making the playoffs. Once again, getting way ahead of the curve and not based in reality. This was going to be a season of uncertainty and learning curves for everyone. Did people forget that all of a sudden? So the bright side is, we still have three games left. We have a chance to learn from our mistakes and win next week. Hopefully we can get two victories heading into the IB. There is still quite a bit of season left for this staff to hit the expectations everyone was predicting in the off-season.

We are going to be held back by personnel regardless at this point. People don't get that for whatever reason. Bitching and moaning isn't going to change it either. The real test comes in recruiting. That's where the real change will come, but it still remains to be seen if this staff can do that. I'm confident in the coaching abilities based on what I've seen so far. Given the right talent, I believe CBH can succeed here. People want instant answers, but we will have to keep waiting at this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don’t understand the “ahead of schedule” thing either. We look exactly how I thought we’d look. The only surprising thing is us finally beating LSU in Baton Rouge. That was a big plus but other than that we don’t look ahead of schedule we look like how a lot of us predicted 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Open yes. Separated no. When the deep throw was made to Chapman he had 10 steps on our DB, not 3. We agree on the QB though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

We are going to be held back by personnel regardless at this point. People don't get that for whatever reason. Bitching and moaning isn't going to change it either. The real test comes in recruiting. That's where the real change will come, but it still remains to be seen if this staff can do that. I'm confident in the coaching abilities based on what I've seen so far. Given the right talent, I believe CBH can succeed here. People want instant answers, but we will have to keep waiting at this point.

Yep we need the recruiting to pick up 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Open yes. Separated no. When the deep throw was made to Chapman he had 10 steps on our DB, not 3. We agree on the QB though. 

That's a busted play though. It's not normal to get more than a few steps behind a guy on a deep route. That's not a consistent thing anybody does. 

• Like 1

Most analysts have said that getting to a top 20 recruiting class would be a huge accomplishment and the 2023 class is the one to watch.  From all indications this class should finish in the 20s.  Win the next 2 games and possibly beat Bama then you’re looking at a “solid” 8-4 or 9-3.  I’d consider that a good 1st year.  Probably take a step back next year unless Auburn racks up a bunch of quality transfers.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Our roster is not as good as last year. There was a total staff turnover as well as system turnover. In addition, Malzahn's positional recruiting woes have finally come home to roost. 

What in the world makes you think otherwise?