Auburn has never lost at Kyle Field

aubiefifty

Scouting report, prediction: Auburn football visits Texas A&M team enlivened by Alabama upset

Bennett Durando, Montgomery Advertiser
4-5 minutes

AUBURN — Ever since Jimbo Fisher fulfilled a seemingly delusional promise to beat Alabama — made wilder by Texas A&M's apparent fall from grace before the upset — the Aggies have been on a revitalized trajectory more in line with preseason expectations.

Ranked No. 6 to start the season, they barely slipped by lowly Colorado and stumbled through Arkansas and Mississippi State to an 0-2 SEC start. Then Fisher became the first former Nick Saban assistant to beat the master. Now, No. 12 Texas A&M (6-2, 3-2 SEC) has won three straight and can leapfrog Auburn in the SEC West on Saturday (2:30 p.m. CT, CBS).

Auburn (6-2, 3-1) has won both SEC road games this season and has never lost at Kyle Field, even though the Aggies were a top-20 team for three of the four meetings there.

Which A&M will Auburn get Saturday while trying to keep the streak alive? Here are three storylines and a prediction.

DEFENSIVE HIGHLIGHTS: For Auburn's Jaylin Simpson, clutch interception was validation after injuries

Isaiah Spiller presents backfield battle

Auburn's run defense has held every SEC opponent below its average yards per carry this season. The latest feat was keeping Ole Miss (5.3 YPC) to an average of 4. That pattern will need to continue against Texas A&M, which also averages 5.3. Led by Isaiah Spiller — Tank Bigsby's preseason awards competitor — the Aggies run on 52% of plays. That run frequency is increased at home (55.2% of plays) and during their three-game win streak (59.5%).

The talented Spiller carries most of the load and averages 6.2 yards (No. 22 FBS). Behind him, Devon Achone's 7.1-yard pace on 86 carries ranks seventh in the country. Together, they've averaged 3.6 yards after contact in the last three games.

The backs excel behind an impressive offensive line that features the 6-foot-4, 325-pound Kenyon Green, a projected top-10 overall draft pick with the versatility to play guard or tackle.

Calzada's anomaly

Fisher's impressive follow-through on his promise is much to his quarterback's credit; Zach Calzada played the game of his life against Alabama. He finished 21-for-31 with 285 yards and three touchdowns.

That's a small sample size.

In Texas A&M's other six games, Calzada is 94-for-177 (53%) with nine touchdowns, six interceptions and 6.1 yards per pass attempt. He has thrown a pick in all but one game, and that was his 18-for-38 performance in a 10-7 win against Colorado. Even in recent routs against Missouri and South Carolina, he was a combined 25-for-49 with 167.5 pass yards per game.

The Aggies operate mostly in short-yardage when they pass. Tight end Jalen Wydermyer is their leading receiver (353 yards, four touchdowns) and one of the SEC's best at his position. Calzada is 7-for-21 on throws of 20 or more yards.

Unless the Tigers get the Alabama-game version of Calzada, Texas A&M has a pedestrian pass offense that should allow Auburn to dedicate more resources to stopping the run.

SIGNIFICANT GAME: What would be a successful Year 1 for Auburn football's Bryan Harsin? The goalpost moves with every win

Multi-faceted challenge on defense

One week after Bigsby finally had a breakout game for Auburn with 140 rushing yards, the Tigers will face a defense a bit tougher to run against than Ole Miss. Texas A&M is No. 37 in the country and sixth in the SEC with 3.7 yards allowed per carry.

DeMarvin Leal is the guy to watch. The athletic defensive lineman is another projected top-10 draft pick. He has 5.5 sacks and 35 tackles, and he's joined by the red-hot Tyree Johnson. Five of Johnson's six sacks have come in the last three games.

A&M's defensive front is frightening, and its pass coverage isn't shabby, either. Opposing quarterbacks complete 60% of throws, and the Aggies are No. 8 in FBS with 5.86 yards allowed per attempt. Their 66% third-down stop rate is third in the SEC.

Auburn 23, Texas A&M 20: The Aggies' offense is an ideal matchup for Derek Mason and Auburn. Expect a laborious game for Nix and company, but Texas A&M should not be a touchdown favorite.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I remember when carlson was going for the extra point record. Didn’t he make it but then miss the next? My brother also said something before the Georgia game about the number of passes without an interception for Nix. I said “he’s sure to throw one now big mouth” which he did…although not his fault since it was a deflection!

17 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I remember when carlson was going for the extra point record. Didn’t he make it but then miss the next? My brother also said something before the Georgia game about the number of passes without an interception for Nix. I said “he’s sure to throw one now big mouth” which he did…although not his fault since it was a deflection!

The INT was technically your fault for speaking it into existence. 

But yeah, Carlson got the record, made one more, but missed the next one. 

• Haha 1

Their DL will force us into a quick passing game. Fortunately, that one of our strength.  I look for the TEs and RBs to have big rec #s.  Also look for RB screens and designed QB draws.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Their DL will force us into a quick passing game. Fortunately, that one of our strength.  I look for the TEs and RBs to have big rec #s.  Also look for RB screens and designed QB draws.

I hope that is the offensive game plan going in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I remember when carlson was going for the extra point record. Didn’t he make it but then miss the next?

Correct. Missed the very next one against Arkansas 2019.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

So nice to read this knowing it may very well happen. Unlike, ahem, years past.

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

That was this year

2019…

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2021/09/how-the-carlson-brothers-kicked-their-way-into-auburn-history

2019 Season 

Anders returned as the starter in 2019, with another successful season added to his resume. Auburn went 9-4 and pulled out a winning 5-3 conference record. He earned SEC Special Teams Player of the Week honors for the Iron Bowl, going 4-for-4 on field goals.

On Oct. 19, a major benchmark with the Carlson name beside it was set. Anders, with his brother's help from 2013-2017, kicked the 303rd consecutive made PAT for Auburn, which set an NCAA record.

It was promptly snapped on the very next PAT attempt, which was no good.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

2019…

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2021/09/how-the-carlson-brothers-kicked-their-way-into-auburn-history

2019 Season 

Anders returned as the starter in 2019, with another successful season added to his resume. Auburn went 9-4 and pulled out a winning 5-3 conference record. He earned SEC Special Teams Player of the Week honors for the Iron Bowl, going 4-for-4 on field goals.

On Oct. 19, a major benchmark with the Carlson name beside it was set. Anders, with his brother's help from 2013-2017, kicked the 303rd consecutive made PAT for Auburn, which set an NCAA record.

It was promptly snapped on the very next PAT attempt, which was no good.

How the hell was that 2 years ago?! I swear that just happened

• Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I hate the word never because it’s usually the last thing you say before it happens

I never thought we would win this game. There.. I just cancelled it out.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Oh NOW the gameday crew likes us. I liked it better when we were ignored 

A million dollars on TaMu.  Either gonna blow out Texas A&M and the sky’s the limit or gonna be brought back to earth.  I worry their defense is going to cause Auburn problems and do just just enough offensively to win.

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

Oh NOW the gameday crew likes us. I liked it better when we were ignored 

Me too. Them picking us is the kiss of death. They are rarely right. All of them picked Ole Miss last week. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Me too. Them picking us is the kiss of death. They are rarely right. All of them picked Ole Miss last week. 

And their “Bear” picks guru is even worse.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hopefully it isn't a dozen sideline screens similar to PSU.

54 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

At some point ppl will stop looking at it as a negative when we get the respect we deserve. Not specifically saying you, but in general seems to prefer being the underdog vs being the front runner .

Hopefully Harsin is changing that mindset within our fanbase

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

At some point ppl will stop looking at it as a negative when we get the respect we deserve. Not specifically saying you, but in general seems to prefer being the underdog vs being the front runner .

Hopefully Harsin is changing that mindset within our fanbase

I agree. We played like underdogs for years and we were viewed this year as not having a legitimate chance. Harsin is changing the culture. I guess I just get nervous hearing how we’ve never lost at Kyle Field and hearing the game day crew pick us. I think depending on how recruiting goes, we will be getting plenty of respect come next preseason. I think we are capable of running the table but this feels like our toughest test left, even over Bama. Hard to get a true read on A&M this year. 

Here’s my emotional “out” should we lose ….we are rebuilding…we can’t expect too much and don’t want another one hit wonder as head coach.  (I have to have an out😬) but I’m ok with a win too!