Just a little fun fact (Nix Edition) Everytime Atlanta has won the WS, Auburn has beaten Bammer with a QB named Nix.

autiger88

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I have loathed that franchise and much of the fan base for the better part of 30 years.  I ain't stopping now.

Reluctantly congratulated my many Braves friends last night, just like I do with Bama friends after the Iron Bowl.  Makes me wanna puke.

I'm having to remind folks that Atlanta- the city of Atlanta, and not a team that used to be in Atlanta and for some reason still has that name on their shirts- won a major championship just 3 years ago. But that goes back to that fan base and their culture. 

If the mutts win it all this year, I might have to leave the southeast altogether. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm having to remind folks that Atlanta- the city of Atlanta, and not a team that used to be in Atlanta and for some reason still has that name on their shirts- won a major championship just 3 years ago. But that goes back to that fan base and their culture. 

If the mutts win it all this year, I might have to leave the southeast altogether. 

Have you been to the new Truist Park and the Battery? It's so much better than Turner field. 

Jorje Soler could probably hit a ball out of Truist and have it land in "Atlanta". 

Just now, atl-tiger said:

Have you been to the new Truist Park and the Battery? It's so much better than Turner field. 

Jorje Soler could probably hit a ball out of Truist and have it land in "Atlanta". 

Yes, I'm sure it's a better park. I would hope that it would be, seeing how it was built 20 years later and Turner Field was garbage to begin with.

They moved closer to where their fans are and where their fans want to stay. Nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1

As a child of the 90s, growing up in Alabama, I was an enormous Braves fan. My family moved to St. Louis in the middle of 1998, right in the dead heat of the Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire home run race. It took about a year of living there, making new friends, and going to Cardinals games before they won me over. Seeing the Braves win last night was like a trip down nostalgia lane. Happy for their fans and the city.

Also, weird to see self admitted bandwagon fans come on here and criticize lifers of other organizations as uninspiring.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I have loathed that franchise and much of the fan base for the better part of 30 years.  I ain't stopping now.

Reluctantly congratulated my many Braves friends last night, just like I do with Bama friends after the Iron Bowl.  Makes me wanna puke.

yvqhrb5uoxagqs068gxe.gif

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Also, weird to see self admitted bandwagon fans come on here and criticize lifers of other organizations as uninspiring.

So weird that I am allowing for the possibility that it's an inside joke only one person gets. 

Like, for anyone "supporting" a team that moved away from one of the most vibrant and diverse cities in the country to a suburban shopping mall with no public transit to call anything else "uninspiring"... it's gotta be sarcasm, right?

Going to a regular season Braves game requires the same emotional investment and will deliver the same lasting impact as going to Pottery Barn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'm so torn. I love so many Braves fans dearly. And this roster is full of cool, fun dudes. But yes. The no-longer-Atlanta Braves organization and so much of their culture can suck it.

What is so bad about the Braves culture? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

So weird that I am allowing for the possibility that it's an inside joke only one person gets. 

Like, for anyone "supporting" a team that moved away from one of the most vibrant and diverse cities in the country to a suburban shopping mall with no public transit to call anything else "uninspiring"... it's gotta be sarcasm, right?

Going to a regular season Braves game requires the same emotional investment and will deliver the same lasting impact as going to Pottery Barn. 

Oh I see. Lmaooooo what a great take. Straight from Reddit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, woodford said:

What is so bad about the Braves culture? 

For me, it goes back to the division title run.  The fact that their fans largely didn't give a rats a** about that team despite it winning A LOT.  The amount of empty seats for playoff games (10,000 or more) was mind boggling.

Not to mention that I literally had Braves fans try to smack talk me after our team had just no hit Atlanta in Turner Field.

I hate everything about that spoiled, idiotic fan base and hope they lose every game.

Edit: They also use a friggin' FSU cheer.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

For me, it goes back to the division title run.  The fact that their fans largely didn't give a rats a** about that team despite it winning A LOT.  The amount of empty seats for playoff games (10,000 or more) was mind boggling.

Not to mention that I literally had Braves fans try to smack talk me after our team had just no hit Atlanta in Turner Field.

I hate everything about that spoiled, idiotic fan base and hope they lose every game.

Spoiled? Christ. Seek help or read a baseball encyclopedia. 

Oh the empty seat debate lol stadium was in a s***ty area in a city known for some of the worst traffic in the country. That led some empty seats in a big stadium. But hey, you have your opinions and that’s awesome. 

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Spoiled? Christ. Seek help or read a baseball encyclopedia. 

Oh the empty seat debate lol stadium was in a s***ty area in a city known for some of the worst traffic in the country. That led some empty seats in a big stadium. But hey, you have your opinions and that’s awesome. 

Baseball encyclopedia?  Dude, baseball was literally how I made a living for years.  And yes, when you win 14 division championships in a row and fail to show up when it counts, that is spoiled.

You'll notice I said nothing of the regular season.  Everyone has empty seats during 81 home games.

But swaths of empty seats for decisive games of playoff series or NLCS games?  Not acceptable for any fan base or team worth a damn.

• Like 2

Interesting takes on Braves fans as well. Having not grown up in Atlanta, but three hours away, most all my experiences with Braves fans are with people like me, who grew up in the Southeast without another team close by to root for. As a kid, I LOVED the Braves. Had posters all over my wall. Watched every game on TBS that I was able to. Wore my baseball pants just like Chipper (when he still wore his pants up). My outside perspective has always been that the city hasn’t supported the team as well as as others, see home attendance numbers, but attributed that to the nature of the fanbase, and just how regional it is. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

My outside perspective has always been that the city hasn’t supported the team as well as as others, see home attendance numbers, but attributed that to the nature of the fanbase, and just how regional it is.

That's probably accurate, but the Braves made the mistake initially of focusing on that regional fanbase instead of city residents. They built this giant stadium with sprawling parking lots in every direction right in the middle of what should have been vibrant urban development. Furthermore, to get there by train, you had to get off, walk through Underground Atlanta, and then hop on a shuttle bus the rest of the way to the game. It was annoying and anti-city in every way. When we'd go to games, we'd park in Grant Park and walk over. But it was nothing like true city stadiums surrounded by retail/bars/restaurants that would encourage people to hang out and spend money before and after the game, and of course did nothing to engender any kind of civic pride type experience. It was built for folks to drive into the city, park, drink and eat things they brought with them, go to the game, and then sit in traffic trying to get out of there. And by "there", I mean a neighborhood that was scary to people from Cobb County and beyond. So they managed to alienate both Atlantans and people from other places.

Atlantans show up for terrible Falcons teams year after year and have set all kinds of attendance records at United games. (And not just MLS or even soccer records.) Hawks playoff games are standing room only. 

Not sure if the Braves could've better embraced the city in a way that would make the city embrace them back like they do other teams, but they didn't really try to.

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The PAC 12 and BIG 10 schools will do what they always do, inexplicably lose to a Washington State or Purdue. I would love for Cincy and Wake to run the table and get in. I prefer some chaos over status quo. 

wreck-it-ralph2-vanellope.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Why aren’t you a Braves fan?  Kind of odd.

i am a braves fan but also a yankee's fan. why? because i collect mickey mantle cards and and anything i can afford of his. he was a jerk but he was dead drunk and not playing and they were losing. so they send him in to pinch hit and he hits a homer to win the game. but i started liking him as a rugrat. but people ask me how i can be both and i tell them head to head i am a braves fan. if you ever want to be entertained read a mantle book or two. he and another guy were staying in a high rise in new york and decided to go out on a slim ledge to peek in a teammates window. it was high up enought hat a fall would kill you dead. well they got to the window and could see nothing and they discovered they could not turn around on that ledge so they had to crawl all the around that building drunk until they got back to the window of the room they were in.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Best Damn Yankees High Enough GIFs | Gfycat

Montgomery's own Tommy Shaw

even the mick? i know he was an ass but wow what a legend.............

12 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

giphy.gif

not a fan. i do not trust anyone that wears red socks..........lol

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just spicing up the topic in my own weird way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's probably accurate, but the Braves made the mistake initially of focusing on that regional fanbase instead of city residents. They built this giant stadium with sprawling parking lots in every direction right in the middle of what should have been vibrant urban development. Furthermore, to get there by train, you had to get off, walk through Underground Atlanta, and then hop on a shuttle bus the rest of the way to the game. It was annoying and anti-city in every way. When we'd go to games, we'd park in Grant Park and walk over. But it was nothing like true city stadiums surrounded by retail/bars/restaurants that would encourage people to hang out and spend money before and after the game, and of course did nothing to engender any kind of civic pride type experience. It was built for folks to drive into the city, park, drink and eat things they brought with them, go to the game, and then sit in traffic trying to get out of there. And by "there", I mean a neighborhood that was scary to people from Cobb County and beyond. So they managed to alienate both Atlantans and people from other places.

Atlantans show up for terrible Falcons teams year after year and have set all kinds of attendance records at United games. (And not just MLS or even soccer records.) Hawks playoff games are standing room only. 

Not sure if the Braves could've better embraced the city in a way that would make the city embrace them back like they do other teams, but they didn't really try to.

we would go to the transit and then have to take a bus. those buses scared the crap out of me.they would fly,it was overloaded and any slight turn and that bus leaned over way too much for my comfort. you could not drive a tack up my rear end with a sledge hammer...........