Auburn inTop 15 Playoff Rankings

toddc

5 hours ago, Viper said:

No team that loses their conference championship game AND has 2 losses is getting in. There will be too many teams with 1 loss that will jump them. 

So if unanimous #1 UGA beats a #2 Alabama by a small margin of 3-10 points, you think the committee will drop Bama to 5th? 

Maybe, but I don't think so. The Committee is already saying that the A&M loss doesn't matter for Alabama as Bama is ranked exactly where they would be if they were still undefeated, and we know from past experience that the committee gives favorable treatment to SEC teams in general. 

As long as the 2 teams keep winning out, I think the committee views both Bama and UGA as 2 of the best in the country and plans for them both to be in the playoffs no matter the outcome of the SEC championship, unless Bama gets absolutely destroyed.  

Edited by CoffeeTiger

4 hours ago, DAG said:

So you have no justification for them being #2 but that justifies Auburn jumping undefeated teams if we beat them? lol. Again, I am not oppose to Auburn making the playoffs if we win out. I think we have a pretty good argument, but the opposing arguments would be just as strong IMO. 

I think the issue is, respectfully, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks or can justify. They are ranked number two. Full stop. Whether you like it or agree with it or not. If we win out, we would have beaten the number one and two teams in the nation, in addition to the number 14, 16, and 17th ranked team in the country. Is anyone going to have a more impressive resume than that? There is no way you can justify leaving Auburn out at that point. Yeah it sucks for Cincy and Oklahoma, but the playoffs are about letting the best teams in. And the only way to do that is to compared records. Can you justify letting Cincy in and leaving out an Auburn team that just beat two teams that were or are gonna play in the playoffs anyway?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I think the issue is, respectfully, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks or can justify. They are ranked number two. Full stop. Whether you like it or agree with it or not. If we win out, we would have beaten the number one and two teams in the nation, in addition to the number 14, 16, and 17th ranked team in the country. Is anyone going to have a more impressive resume than that? There is no way you can justify leaving Auburn out at that point. Yeah it sucks for Cincy and Oklahoma, but the playoffs are about letting the best teams in. And the only way to do that is to compared records. Can you justify letting Cincy in and leaving out an Auburn team that just beat two teams that were or are gonna play in the playoffs anyway?

A much better way of wording my exact opinion on this topic. Thank you. 

IF Auburn wins out the regular season beating #2 Bama + beats #1 UGA and wins the SEC then Auburn is IN the CFP even with the 2 losses.  There won't be another team in the rankings with a stronger SOS, not UGA/OSU/OU/MSU/Michigan and damn sure not Cincy with their weak SOS in the 90's.  We'd have the top SOS and would have passed the "Eye Test" with flying colors. 

• Like 1

Unless something really strange happens in the other conferences, then I don't see Bama still making the top 4 if they lose to UGA.

No threat from the ACC, but the group of Cincy, Oklahoma, Okie State, Baylor, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Oregon and even A&M if they win out will keep Bama from the top 4.

Of course, I'd like Auburn to go ahead and knock them out of contention before that...🤠

3 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

So if unanimous #1 UGA beats a #2 Alabama by a small margin of 3-10 points, you think the committee will drop Bama to 5th? 

Maybe, but I don't think so. The Committee is already saying that the A&M loss doesn't matter for Alabama as Bama is ranked exactly where they would be if they were still undefeated, and we know from past experience that the committee gives favorable treatment to SEC teams in general. 

As long as the 2 teams keep winning out, I think the committee views both Bama and UGA as 2 of the best in the country and plans for them both to be in the playoffs no matter the outcome of the SEC championship, unless Bama gets absolutely destroyed.  

I think 2losses and they are out unless there aren’t 4 reasonable teams left with less than 2 losses.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:03 PM, aubaseball said:

I disagree.   At best, Alabama should be 6.  Cincy and MSU should be in top 4 and OSU 5.  It doesn’t matter if you say, if they were this or they were that, it should be based on what have you done this year.   

How many of these teams would Bama be favored to beat? A lot of ball to be played. Don't lose any sleep over this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes they won their conference and they are undefeated . They played the best OOC schedule of any non power 5 school.  Their argument is their schedule is weaker than others. Auburn loss two games and one to an unranked Penn state team. To ignore that is just down right ridiculous. With that being said we would also have a strong case to be in. I am simply asking fans to be OBJECTIVE. I know that is hard to understand . To say it doesn’t matter why someone is ranked #2 is asinine. 

And I am about to call out a few of you folks out. Several of you are riding Bama jockstrap now because it may benefit Auburn in the long run. If Auburn had zero chance to make the playoffs , majority of you would be saying it is not justified for them to be #2. Also you have no idea if Auburn it a better team than Cincy or an undefeated OU squad. It is all for the most part completely subjective , hence why these optics do in fact matter. 

When you played a schedule as weak as Cincinnati, your OOC doesn’t mean Jack (unless your OOC is all top ten teams). Miami (Ohio), Murray State, Temple, Tulane, and Tulsa. Your best win is unranked Indiana and number 9 Notre Dame. You’re telling me that you would put them in ahead of Auburn that beat number 1 Georgia, number two Alabama, and three other top 20 teams AND also had to win their conference to do so? Now that’s ridiculous. I don’t care what school we’re talking about. If that’s the comparison, it’s a no-brainer. 

Also, I’m not ignoring who Auburn lost to, I’m taking into account who they beat also. That’s literally the point. You take EVERYTHING into account. That is called being objective. You believe Cincinnati should get in because they’re undefeated and won their conference and that’s your only argument. You’re ignoring that Auburn also won their conference and did so against MUCH stouter competition. It’s you who is not being objective. And I’m not saying it doesn’t matter why Alabama is ranked number two. I’m saying your opinion that they shouldn’t be number two and thus for some reason it’s a lesser win is what doesn’t matter. The facts are the facts. Whether you think they are actually the number two or the number 20 ranked school, they are two. So if we beat them, we beat the number two ranked team in the country. That’s optics.

And no, I don’t know that Auburn is better than Cincinnati or Oklahoma. But like everyone else on the committee (and in the world) I can compare their schedules, wins, losses, how they played, and make an assumption. I get it. Cincinnati appears to be a pretty darn good team. And if we could allow even six teams in the playoffs, they’d get my vote. But I wouldn’t put them ahead of Auburn. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

How many of these teams would Bama be favored to beat? A lot of ball to be played. Don't lose any sleep over this.

Probably most if not all except 1. Just like they were heavily favored over A&M.

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

So then explain how they put Alabama before Michigan state? Based on every single criteria you just mentioned , you should be able to explain that one if you are giving the committee the benefit of a doubt. And don’t try to wiggle out by saying to doesn’t matter what we think ? You are the second one making this argument but refuse to even attempt to justify that one. What ridiculous  logic. I am sorry? so if Alabama was ranked #1 before UGA it wouldn’t matter because it is what it is? That is some of the dumbest stuff I’ve read on here. No point in continuing this debate.

Why even have a discussion then? Do you even know what objective is? It means I can weight two different discussion points and figure out which one makes a stronger point. I can take into account what Cincy has to offer and take into account what Auburn has to offer? Holy hell how stupid . 

And btw I am not saying Auburn is not more deserving than Cincy if they win out. I am saying have a fair , objective discussion. This is what the committee is choosing not to do with some of their rankings. It’s also what you are arguing. To completely disregard Cincy defeats the whole damn purpose of the playoffs. If they don’t make it cool, but don’t just ride them off already . It’s not that freaking hard .

So here’s what you’re not understanding. I’m not arguing about any team’s placement. You are. That’s fine. That’s a separate debate for another day. I don’t have to justify anything to you.  I’m responding to this quote by you:

“So you have no justification for them being #2 but that justifies Auburn jumping undefeated teams if we beat them? lol. Again, I am not oppose to Auburn making the playoffs if we win out. I think we have a pretty good argument, but the opposing arguments would be just as strong IMO.”

And I’m telling you no one has to justify their ranking to you or anyone else. No matter how much you disagree, they are ranked number two. So if we beat them, YES, it justifies us jumping unbeaten teams, especially Cincinnati. And no, the opposing argument for Cincinnati is not just as strong, IMO.

And yes, for the record, if Alabama was ranked ahead of Georgia, it wouldn’t matter how much you cried about it, because you know what? According to the rankings we beat Number 1 Alabama and number 2 Georgia. I really can’t believe I have to explain this to anyone. Let alone someone on a football forum. For someone that wants to keep exclaiming that the arguments of others’ are stupid or dumb, you show an astounding lack logical skills.

And yes, in theory, you can objectively weigh two different discussion points involving Auburn and Cincinnati and figure out which makes a stronger point. The difference is you aren’t, because if you were, you wouldn’t be making the asinine arguments that you are. HoLy hELl HoW StUPid. 

And you are saying that Cincinnati is more deserving despite both winning their conference because you literally just said you would put Cincinnati in over Auburn. Talk about not freakin hard. 

And let’s say for the sake of argument that I agree that Bama should at least be below Michigan State. That would still mean that we beat the number one team Georgia, the number FIVE team Alabama, and three other top 20 teams. It changes nothing. Cincinnati has only PLAYED one ranked team, current number 9 ND. There is no comparison between us and them. The fact that you can’t see that but want to say my arguments are stupid is very telling. And again, I’m not discounting or writing off Cincinnati. Unlike you, I objectively weighed them against Auburn. 

Edited by Potatooooooes!!

sorry for flooding the forum guys. Like I said I just want a fair playoffs and see the best teams possible in it

12 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

I know that Alabama is better than all those teams and would be favored to beat anybody (even Georgia).   It doesn’t mean anything when it comes to how each team has played up to this point.   It’s a beauty contest because it’s definitely not how teams are playing this given year.   It will work it’s way out by the time it gets to conference championship games.   I wouldn’t lose any sleep over Alabama even if they were playing in my backyard 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

sorry for flooding the forum guys. Like I said I just want a fair playoffs and see the best teams possible in it

You should only apologize for posting a 4am. Lol.

All of this is extremely subjective. CFB loves this. These ranking bring so much discussion 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DAG said:

At least you're keeping one fun discussion alive instead of carpet bombing the entire forum like I do. 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, DAG said:

The real question for me is do you want the 4 BEST teams or the 4 most DESERVING teams? 

The reason we play the games on the field is because the "best" most talented teams don't always win. 

No question that, just based on recruiting, teams like Alabama are among the 4 most talented teams in football, but does their record and performance make them deserving of a top 4 spot? 

No question that Cincy would be at a talent disadvantage vs most of the other top 10 teams, but does their record and performance mean they deserve to be ranked higher? 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

4 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The real question for me is do you want the 4 BEST teams or the 4 most DESERVING teams? 

The reason we play the games on the field is because the "best" most talented teams don't always win. 

No question that, just based on recruiting, teams like Alabama are among the 4 most talented teams in football, but does their record and performance make them deserving of a top 4 spot? 

No question that Cincy would be at a talent disadvantage vs most of the other top 10 teams, but does their record and performance mean they deserve to be ranked higher? 

Well what you are describing is the most talented, IMO. I don’t consider that to be the best . I would think we play the game to see who is the best . The thing is everyone is not on equal footing. 

Cincy can’t blame nobody but themselves for where they are. They needed to survive an onside kick to beat Navy and played like crap against Tulane. It isn’t like their coach just started coaching. I am pretty sure he knows style points / margin of victory matters when ur schedule isn’t the greatest.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Not with 2 losses. The only way is if there are multiple other teams with 2 losses.

• Like 1