Auburn D-Line

AuburnNTexas

This year I have to admit I was disappointed in their play at the beginning of the year especially in the 1st half against Georgia State. That said I have seen a steady improvement throughout the year and I have seen some players stepping up like Wooden, Harris, and Leota to name some there are others.   They had to learn and brand new system that was completely different from what they ran in the past.

What is really encouraging to me is how many will be back next year, including 3 Freshman who Red Shirted this year and one player who was out due to injury. I believe this will be a very deep and talented group next year. Players I believe will be back next year I am sure I will leave some out but here goes:

D-Line - Hunter, Harris, Johnson, Leota, Okoli, Wright, Walker, Wooden, Robinson, Butler, Pegeus, Mathews - Some of these men can play anyplace on the D-Line some are more suited for DE or Inside player.

On the Edge - Brooks, Height, Hall 

We will need at least 2 Edge Rushers in next years class as you need depth and time to learn the system a true Nose Guard space eater tyoe and 1 or 2 who can play DE and also move inside again for depth, pass rush, and learning.  

• Like 5

Pretty sure Jeremiah Wright will be penciled into the starting NT role next year.  Hopefully Hunter can provide some back up or support on the DL.

We've needed a speed DE for ever.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Pretty sure Jeremiah Wright will be penciled into the starting NT role next year.  Hopefully Hunter can provide some back up or support on the DL.

We've needed a speed DE for ever.

And I think Leota only has this year of eligibility left. 

We’re going to be strong on the d-line next year, and if Colby Wooden returns we’re going to be exceptional. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We’re going to be strong on the d-line next year, and if Colby Wooden returns we’re going to be exceptional. 

Not without a rusher. Hopefully one develops or through the portal. Lot to like of the other pieces tho. 

Harris, Wooden, Wright, Hunter, ZWalker, JJ, Leota.....strong pieces for sure 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not without a rusher. Hopefully one develops or through the portal. Lot to like of the other pieces tho. 

Harris, Wooden, Wright, Hunter, ZWalker, JJ, Leota.....strong pieces for sure 

Plus Pegues and Marquis Robinson. Tobechi Okoli and Dylan Brooks are reported to be pretty talented too. 

• Like 1

All of the additions have been solid, but Harris is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. EDGE is such an area of concern. We need to hit the portal there again most likely

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, au302 said:

All of the additions have been solid, but Harris is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. EDGE is such an area of concern. We need to hit the portal there again most likely

We're getting better end/edge play this year versus the past few years by far. I'd say best since Holland left. 

Sacks: 22 (T-5th in sec, T-28th nationally)

Tackles for loss: 63 (2nd in sec, T-8th nationally )

• Like 3

1 hour ago, God Cam It said:

Going to need it badly with the most likely drop off at LB. 

DEFINITELY going to need the light to come on for Steiner, Riley, Willis, Brown. OR hit the TP aggressively... 

• Like 2

A D lineman Harsin transfer signee getting a LOT of praise on this thread mailed it in virtually every play against UGa. He was playing so visibly badly I started focusing on him every play and it was like the guy gave 50% every play. 

3 hours ago, God Cam It said:

We're getting better end/edge play this year versus the past few years by far. I'd say best since Holland left. 

Sacks: 22 (T-5th in sec, T-28th nationally)

Tackles for loss: 63 (2nd in sec, T-8th nationally )

Agreed, I'm just worried about depth. Need Height to work his way back on the team because he is solid. Would be nice if Brooks is ready for next year, but who knows. Maybe one guy out the portal and a high school guy is the move. Bert Watts will get it straight

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

A D lineman Harsin transfer signee getting a LOT of praise on this thread mailed it in virtually every play against UGa.

Why is this part important?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

A D lineman Harsin transfer signee getting a LOT of praise on this thread mailed it in virtually every play against UGa. He was playing so visibly badly I started focusing on him every play and it was like the guy gave 50% every play. 

Read the thread.... There's not ALOT of praise, just a few mentions, maybe you are still focusing on him too much. 

• Like 1

With the kind of year Wooden is having, it is not a given that he comes back. I do think he should though. A lot of good DL out there ranked higher on draft boards for sure and I think if he came back he could play into a 1-2 round draft pick next year. 

Should definitely be a good group though. 

56 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

With the kind of year Wooden is having, it is not a given that he comes back. I do think he should though. A lot of good DL out there ranked higher on draft boards for sure and I think if he came back he could play into a 1-2 round draft pick next year. 

Should definitely be a good group though. 

Definitely torn for kids who want to go get paid ASAP, but I'd love to start seeing some fringe day 2 picks or even fringe day 1 picks start returning and solidifying themselves as 1st round or solid day 2 picks.  It's definitely a selfish view and I'll never blast a player for leaving early....but Bama and UGA consistently have guys coming back that are fringe 1st round picks.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Definitely torn for kids who want to go get paid ASAP, but I'd love to start seeing some fringe day 2 picks or even fringe day 1 picks start returning and solidifying themselves as 1st round or solid day 2 picks.  It's definitely a selfish view and I'll never blast a player for leaving early....but Bama and UGA consistently have guys coming back that are fringe 1st round picks.

My hope is that NIL helps keep some of these mid - late round guys that choose to leave start coming back. Often times it is kids who grew up with nothing and just the sheer hope of making League minimum is life changing to them so I completely understand. I have never faulted a kids decision to make that choice, but now with NIL, hopefully we can get some nice deals lined up for some these young men to give them that wad while keeping their butts here!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

So you think Leota has been terrible?  I don't see Fair mentioned anywhere ITT.

11 hours ago, au302 said:

Agreed, I'm just worried about depth. Need Height to work his way back on the team because he is solid. Would be nice if Brooks is ready for next year, but who knows. Maybe one guy out the portal and a high school guy is the move. Bert Watts will get it straight

Does anyone know how Joko Willis is coming along? He's tall and long and fast. Needed to add some weight but maybe he could be a guy that gets some snaps next year. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

So you think Leota has been terrible?  I don't see Fair mentioned anywhere ITT.

Fair has been solid. MAde a big play on his first snap last week. Harris has been a great addition, and Leota has come on really strong. I have no clue what the point that poster was trying to make. Transfers have been solid especially on the DL.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, God Cam It said:

Does anyone know how Joko Willis is coming along? He's tall and long and fast. Needed to add some weight but maybe he could be a guy that gets some snaps next year. 

I'm pretty sure he's blowing ppl on special teams regularly

35 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Fair has been solid. MAde a big play on his first snap last week. Harris has been a great addition, and Leota has come on really strong. I have no clue what the point that poster was trying to make. Transfers have been solid especially on the DL.

Yeah agree, not sure who he's talking about.  Harris has been the best of the bunch.  Sometimes hard to gauge a NTs true contributions. 

We've hit much higher at DL than we did at DB in the portal

• Like 1