The right man for the job

aubiefifty

COLUMN | Maybe Harsin is the right man for the job after all

Last Updated 16 hours ago
5-6 minutes

COLUMN | Maybe Harsin is the right man for the job after all

Auburn football coach Bryan Harsin talks during the signing day presser on Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Skeptical is the word I would use after hearing who Auburn would be hiring for the future of the football program.

The thought of having Mario Cristobal at the helm of one of the south’s most renowned football schools was one that still peaks my interest. 

But, that interest has cooled a lot over the past few weeks as I feel myself inching toward the Harsin bandwagon, little by little.

Disclaimer: I jumped off after Georgia State. If I was ever on to start with.

All the comparisons to Gus Malzahn at the time flew out of the window when Auburn almost lost to Georgia State, something that not even Malzahn almost pulled off. 

However, a lot has changed in the last few weeks.

Harsin proved to be able to accomplish what Malzahn couldn’t in his eight-year tenure, in just half a season.

Get The Plainsman straight to your inbox.

While this year’s LSU team isn’t really comparable to a few that Malzahn and company had to face, just winning that hard-fought game in a place where Malzahn hadn’t was enough to turn some heads.

Those heads continued turning when Auburn waltzed into Fayetteville to face a hot offense who wanted revenge for last year’s backwards spike, and trounced the home team.

Those heads are all the way around now, as Auburn just held the Heisman frontrunner to 20 points in a game and an interception, all while on the way to scoring 28 points in a single half against SEC talent. 

Lane Kiffin was sticking his tongue out at Auburn fans on the sideline with his team trailing while Harsin was setting his team up for a win.

Now, Auburn finds itself in the Top-12 for the first time this season in the latest AP Poll. Something I didn’t think was going to happen this year or even next year. 

Harsin took an almost unranked Auburn team with one of the top-five hardest schedules in the nation to a Top-12 rank in all of college football. Not bad for a Boise State coach.

Auburn still has two of its hardest games of the year coming up in the next few weeks with match-ups against Texas A&M and Alabama. A split between those games would be a win in my book. 

No matter what happens in the next couple of weeks, Harsin has proved that he can hold his own in the nation‘s best, the SEC.

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

the thread title was too long to use per the fam but it says it all to me.

Harsin took an almost unranked Auburn team with one of the top-five hardest schedules in the nation to a Top-12 rank in all of college football. Not bad . . .

• Thanks 1

and whats up with kiff sticking his tongue out at the auburn fans? that is the kind of thing my grandmother did. i know he was having fun but that is a bit odd. and i know odd folks...............

All the comparisons to Gus Malzahn at the time flew out of the window when Auburn almost lost to Georgia State, something that not even Malzahn almost pulled off

Either this person just started following Auburn or just doesnt pay attention 🤦 either way you shouldn't have put such a bold face lie in there, it wasn't Georgia St but still Mr Malzahn almost lost a few of those type of games so..... ( Not bashing Malzahn )🤷

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

All the comparisons to Gus Malzahn at the time flew out of the window when Auburn almost lost to Georgia State, something that not even Malzahn almost pulled off

Either this person just started following Auburn or just doesnt pay attention 🤦 either way you shouldn't have put such a bold face lie in there, it wasn't Georgia St but still Mr Malzahn almost lost a few of those type of games so..... ( Not bashing Malzahn )🤷

Its from The Plainsman.  Bunch of college kids.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Its from The Plainsman.  Bunch of college kids.

Still do research on Auburn football if you are gonna write about them.🤷

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Still do research on Auburn football if you are gonna write about them.🤷

The advisor is actually a friend of mine.  I texted him and he said "yeah, I've already asked the guy to come see me."

These are kids.  Just like players on the field, they are learning and will make dumb mistakes.  Luckily its just a column.

• Like 1

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

The advisor is actually a friend of mine.  I texted him and he said "yeah, I've already asked the guy to come see me."

These are kids.  Just like players on the field, they are learning and will make dumb mistakes.  Luckily its just a column.

Ok not trying to bash him was just saying do research on what you are writing about, sorry if it came off that way wasn't trying too. 

• Like 1