Special Teams...

WFE12

I know we just won and I'm so glad but this needs to be addressed like the numbers on the house. If Corn got the boot for what happened with the receivers than what's happening to the special teams guy. That was absolutely asinine. I don't even trust a long return anymore. I just wait for a flag to be thrown. Not one but two delay of game penalties on FGs too. That's the most stupid way to get a delay of game. I don't want this to cost us in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

No offense to you, but I don't understand this reaction after this game. Can't enjoy it for a minute?

The kick return unit sucked tonight. But it's not a pattern. Special teams saved the Ga State game.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, cbo said:

No offense to you, but I don't understand this reaction after this game. Can't enjoy it for a minute?

The kick return unit sucked tonight. But it's not a pattern. Special teams saved the Ga State game.

That's fair. It was just so bad. But like I said I'm happy for the win.

• Like 4

Guest MustardSeed

It’s a very real possibility Anders gets beat out by a true freshman next year. Our K recruit is unreal. Friday alone he made a 40+ yarder, a 52, 55 and a 61 yarder. In one game.  Oh and broke the state record for longest fg. Not sure I’d want to be Anders this fall. He’s slipped some this year. Not sure if that’s coaching or what but he hasn’t been the better Carlson

Respectfully, what a terrible take. Special teams was atrocious tonight. I'm with you on that. But the receivers were a consistently bad from the time Harsin was hired until two weeks ago. Harsin was always complaining in his press conferences. If this becomes a pattern, then sure, re-evaluate in the offseason

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

It’s a very real possibility Anders gets beat out by a true freshman next year. Our K recruit is unreal. Friday alone he made a 40+ yarder, a 52, 55 and a 61 yarder. In one game.  Oh and broke the state record for longest fg. Not sure I’d want to be Anders this fall. He’s slipped some this year. Not sure if that’s coaching or what but he hasn’t been the better Carlson

Yes, I saw the 61 yarder, he had room to spare. He will be kicking the ball 70+ yards before his Auburn career is finished. 

Carlson won't be back I don't think.

Our punt returns have been horrendous for years. Just put someone back there that can catch a punt before it hits the ground 100% of the time. We've blocked FG's/Xp and punts so great job there. I hope no one ever returns a kick or punt against us, because it scares me. I hope we never return a punt or kick off against another team because it scares me.

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, I saw the 61 yarder, he had room to spare. He will be kicking the ball 70+ yards before his Auburn career is finished. 

Already is. He missed a 65 yarder slightly wide that went over the upright a week or two ago

7 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Anders is a senior, what are you talking about? Good lord people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Carlson won't be back I don't think

Where is he going?  He’s got one more year and has basically zero chance of being drafted…

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Carlson won't be back I don't think.

Our punt returns have been horrendous for years. Just put someone back there that can catch a punt before it hits the ground 100% of the time. We've blocked FG's/Xp and punts so great job there. I hope no one ever returns a kick or punt against us, because it scares me. I hope we never return a punt or kick off against another team because it scares me.

How would you know if someone is going to catch it 100% if the time. The guy that muffed tonight is our most experienced guy. They are not clairvoyant.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Don’t think that is true at all. Most kickers are given opportunities without being drafted.

I’d bet Anders plays in the NFL for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Don’t think that is true at all. Most kickers are given opportunities without being drafted.

Kicker is by far the hardest position to make it to the NFL and if you look at the numbers he’s not currently in the top 10 in the NCAA…so he’s gonna have a real hard time making it. Can he?  Sure. Will he?  Not extremely likely. 
And everyone being rude about him being done isn’t answering about the extra Covid year. Strange.  Maybe it doesn’t apply to him 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

How would you know if someone is going to catch it 100% if the time

If the punt is in the air between 30 and 50 yards, I would find somebody that could catch it 100% of the time. Or keep changing returners until I found one that could. 0 would be done for me.

• Like 1

With this coaching staff? One bad game, and it really was, is not a trend. In a game in which we won by double digits against #10. And Chapman is doing a fantastic job.

Edited by slyinsocal

31 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Already is. He missed a 65 yarder slightly wide that went over the upright a week or two ago

Wow!