20 pts

bigbird

Shut down the run and be able to run and we win.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

For everyone bitching about the D...20 pts given up to the team ranked #4 in total offense, #3 in rushing offense, and #24 passing offense.

Give it time...

Took the words out of my mouth, Bird. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

For everyone bitching about the D...20 pts given up to the team ranked #4 in total offense, #3 in rushing offense, and #24 passing offense.

Give it time...

Also the least points they have scored all season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give it time...

Technically the least amount of points they’ve scored all year

I said the same thing in the game thread.  We only gave up 20 points to one of the best offenses in college football.  Coach mason adjusted and the second half defense, even with turnovers played lights out.  Simpsons INT was the play of the game for me.

• Like 3

Is it adjustments at halftime or  has the defense " seen the offense" like a a hitter sees the pitcher in baseball and reacts quicker.  Is this team in better condition in the 4th quarter and it shows.

Think CDM may be a cool customer and letting the game come to his defense. 

What say you?

• Like 1

I expected this game to come down to Auburn getting that one defensive stop, that allowed them to just score enough to win.  A collective 6 points in the second half never occurred to me.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I agree.

Kiffin left at least 9 points on the field though. He's his own worst enemy right now.

Yeah but if he converted those 4th and shorts like he has been doing at a decent rate, everybody would be on the Lane Train.

Give credit where it’s due. CDM and the Defensive Unit limited Ole Miss to only 25% in 4th down conversions compared to their 76.7% for the season. 

Edited by Taco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give it time...

Ole Miss gave them a lot of help. Going for it on 4th down, and the pick in the end zone, sure helped. 

3 minutes ago, bdc81 said:

Is it adjustments at halftime or  has the defense " seen the offense" like a a hitter sees the pitcher in baseball and reacts quicker.  Is this team in better condition in the 4th quarter and it shows.

Think CDM may be a cool customer and letting the game come to his defense. 

What say you?

Speaking of conditioning, it seemed like Ole Miss players were down all over the place.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give it time...

It just looks ugly. It’s hard to get past the ugliness to see the success. 
But they are definitely a bend, don’t break defense!

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I agree.

Kiffin left at least 9 points on the field though. He's his own worst enemy right now.

This is true. A normal coach scores 29 on us in that game. We held them to the same yardage LSU did at OM (around 470) and they gave up 31 so it’s not as though we played great overall, but we excelled at getting them in 4th and longer than they like but close enough to make jackwagon go for it.  I think defenses are starting to get them figured out. If so Lane is DOA. Either way our D did better than I expected 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give it time...

Splits are most important.  17/3

Shut them down in the second half and made adjustments. 

The staff really had the team ready coming off a bye. Bravo. That’s a really explosive offense Ole Miss has. I didn’t get to focus on the game that much because of the World Series being on so I need to go back and see what all I missed. 

MASSIVE win for the team and the program. What a performance. WDE!

8 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I agree.

It’s what he does.  Same every game.  Can’t take that away from the job the D did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Ole Miss gave them a lot of help. Going for it on 4th down, and the pick in the end zone, sure helped. 

Ole Miss was converting at an extremely high rate heading into this game. The analytics Kiffen uses show that most defenses would not stop conversions in each situation. Auburn's defense stepped up when it mattered most. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give it time...

Nope. They're going keep bitching. Over and over and over. Forever it seems. We're not the most talented and we're short on depth at key positions. Educated, experienced coaches on this staff came to that conclusion long ago. That's whyyyyyyyy they have to run these schemes. Smh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Auburn's defense stepped up when it mattered most. 

They've done it all year on 4th downs. I was hoping Kiffen was true to form and went for them.

• Love 1

Of course, OM not having their top 3 receivers didn't hurt. One receiver caught his first pass tonight. And another receiver is a converted defensive back. Along with being down a couple of linemen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give it time...

Post Penn State the Defense has been great.