Any thoughts on the Ol Miss game next week?

aubiefifty

We had a bye week with more time to heal up and game plan. They played this past week.  Do you know if they had any injuries from this past game.  I am not asking because I wish injury on anyone but was wondering in relation to affects to the game this weekend.

1 minute ago, roe4christ said:

We had a bye week with more time to heal up and game plan. They played this past week.  Do you know if they had any injuries from this past game.  I am not asking because I wish injury on anyone but was wondering in relation to affects to the game this weekend.

Their QB played but was sure feeling it by the end of the game.

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Their QB played but was sure feeling it by the end of the game.

This is a big game for them, so unless someone is dragging a limb......I expect all hands on deck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You gotta love those pious posts, huh? Resident Lectern he is I suppose…🙄

Yeah, how dare someone.... 

<checks notes>

.....bases an opinion on games actually played this year and not assumptions because its "just Ole Miss".

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Seems everyone has played us the other way forcing us to throw.

The passing may have to set up the run game.

The running game has to be decent enough. No way Auburn wins if Bo HAS to throw it 50 times. 150-175 team rushing yards and Bo in the 25-35 pass attempt range is what I would like to see. But it’s Saturday night in JH, no telling what’s gonna happen, just hope Auburn scores more points.

• Like 2

I expect this one to be much like that 2014 game. I think it was like 34-31 or something. Very good game. If Treadwell doesn't obliterate is leg or ankle I don't know that we win that one.

• Like 1

Very anxious to see how Mason schemes for this week. Gonna be a huge task but we are capable. As crazy as Mason's zone drives me at times, this week might not be a bad time for it. Already having nightmares of Corral burning Pritchett over the top, and the game is 5 days away. Let them drive the ball, but limit the big plays, force time off the clock, and get holds in the red zone. Do not want a track meet, as that is what they want.

There will be 4 downs every series. Lane will not punt unless it's something like 4th and 20 on his own 10. That will hurt us, but if we can man up and get some stops we can take advantage with good field position. Hopefully Bobo gets aggressive in those situations. Need to find a way to run the ball, sustain some drives, and take time off the clock. If we execute, get it to the 4th quarter in a one score game and hopefully pull it out

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I expect this one to be much like that 2014 game. I think it was like 34-31 or something. Very good game. If Treadwell doesn't obliterate is leg or ankle I don't know that we win that one.

Gah lee that was nasty

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Gah lee that was nasty

One of the worst I have seen. Up there with Theisman, Kenyon Drake, and my own. I have a tape my Freshman year that looks so bad. I dropped back to pass and big DE come from behind and and hit me. The field was wet and my legs slid along as my upper body was crashed to ground...basically doubling me over forwards at the hips.  You would think it snapped my leg in half at the thigh by watching it. Torn Meniscus and cracked femur. Most painful thing I have ever experienced. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

One of the worst I have seen. Up there with Theisman, Kenyon Drake, and my own. I have a tape my Freshman year that looks so bad. I dropped back to pass and big DE come from behind and and hit me. The field was wet and my legs slid along as my upper body was crashed to ground...basically doubling me over forwards at the hips.  You would think it snapped my leg in half at the thigh by watching it. Torn Meniscus and cracked femur. Most painful thing I have ever experienced. 

Dang man that’s why I was scared to play football. Just for the off chance of something like that happening. How long was recovery?

25 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Dang man that’s why I was scared to play football. Just for the off chance of something like that happening. How long was recovery?

Was luckily it was last game of season.  I was back in action the follow Spring. Knee never was the same.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

One of the worst I have seen. Up there with Theisman, Kenyon Drake, and my own.

I'd add Dinson's injury at TAMU too. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd add Dinson's injury at TAMU too. 

I still find the Etheridge injury the scariest I’ve ever seen. It’s fine to look back on now because we know it all worked out but at the time it was terrifying to see him on the ground that long. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I still find the Etheridge injury the scariest I’ve ever seen. It’s fine to look back on now because we know it all worked out but at the time it was terrifying to see him on the ground that long. 

Yep, terrifying

• Like 1

People forget Napoleon McCallum’s injury on MNF. That was a gnarly injury- lucky he did not lose his leg with that one. For those that haven’t seen….do not go look, will make you nauseated

Edited by fredst

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

IIRC that 2014 matchup was the first ever game played between two teams ranked in the top 4 of the CFB Playoff Rankings. Auburn was 3 and Ole Miss was 4. 

• Like 1

MC is pretty banged up right now.  He'll get another week to recover, but he's not going to be fully healthy.  We really need someone like Owen back to be a spy.

Feel like we're going to see a similar plan that we used vs PSU & LSU.  We'll "rush" 3-4 to avoid giving MC massive lanes to run, play a soft zone, get gashed pretty consistently in the 1st half, then make adjustments in the 2nd. 

We're league worst in Pct completed against and near the bottom in 3rd down conversion.  Feel like those coupled with Lane's desire to go for every 4th down is probably our biggest risk.

I see us scoring.  Not too worried about the offense.  Defense and waiting until the 2nd half to make impactful adjustments vs a very high powered offense is probably the bigger concern. 

• Like 2

To me, defensively the keys will be a few things. In no particular order...

1. Withstand the opening barrage.

2. Keep the score close through the 1st half 

3. Get stops on 4th early to make Lane question it later in the game. 

4. Possessions over explosions, make them execute to drive the field 

5. Pressure from the 3 or 4 DL 

6. Eliminate the trick plays.

7. DBs need to have quick route recognition, heads on swivels, close quickly, and secure tackling. (Gonna be a fun night as a DB)

8. Spy MC when in man coverage

9. Bring pressure from multiple planes and angles.

10. Stop the run

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yes, I have thoughts. I thought AU was going to win quite handily. However, if we get a bunch of suspensions on defense as has been rumored, that thought changes in a hurry.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, creed said:

Our running game excels Saturday and we control the game. Book it. 😉

I'm not sure how anyone can be confident in our run game.  We can't even run the ball well vs bad defenses.

• Like 1

This game is going to be a great test for our defense. I really really really hope Pappoe is back for this one. Ol Miss offense is just really solid all the way around. Their RBs were running hard and delivering hits to the defense against LSU. Corral is a threat running and throwing the football and Kiffen knows how to draw up plays that will really stress the DBs. I expect we'll see a couple plays atleast where they have a guy running free. I just hope those are few and far between but i think its going to happen some so just gotta be ready to deal with it and play the next play. DL must contain and get pressure at the same time. Blitzing will be hard because you really need a spy on their QB. Maybe we can sneak in some delayed blitzes by the LBs. 

On offense its really just don't revert to shooting ourselves in the foot again. Make the catches and no turnovers and we should be able to score some points. I'll be at this game and screaming my head off so hope our guys are ready to get some rebel black bear butt!

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

1. Withstand the opening barrage.

2. Keep the score close through the 1st half 

5. Pressure from the 3 or 4 DL 

These 3 make or break the game, IMO.  Are we playing from behind from the jump or can we hold them before 2nd half adjustments.

....would be nice to see 4 quarters of quality defensive play.

• Like 1

I think we win. Our improved offense will expose their defense. Our improving defense will get enough pressure and turnovers to slow them down. 37-31. War Eagle and IGTBAAT :wareagle:

Lane knows he can build a competitive program at Ole Miss (but not overnight), but these are the games you have to win to really solidify your place in the conference. Winning on the road against a ranked team right after an emotional rivalry game. If I’m an Ole Miss fan and we beat Auburn I feel GREAT about finishing 11-1 and going to w NY6 bowl and maybe a Playoff spot if chaos were to ensue. 

This is the last really tough game on their schedule. I think they host TAMU off the top of my head since it’s an odd year. 

OM usually loses these types of games but they don’t usually have a Matt Corrall and Lane Kiffin. Tough assignment for both teams. JHS needs to be bonkers. 

I’m pumped. We don’t get too many big games against OM. 

• Like 1