Were Auburn fans spoiled?

aubiefifty

Guest MustardSeed
14 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

from ESPN after last nights games. Not sure why the discrepancy between the two sites. We play two Top offenses still, but also two of the lower ranked offenses. Should balance out. We can parse the stats to death but so far Mason is on pace with Steele in points surrendered. Looks different but similar end results. You are correct that it is yet to be seen. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/view/defense/stat/total/group/8/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc

I think I see the difference. The one I used doesn’t count FCS games…where we gave up 0. 

I don’t think we’ll truly know about Mason until next season. You pretty much gotta expect a transition year when switching defensive schemes like we just did. Both bama and uga were pretty bad at first and look where they are now.

I like the scheme and I hope we can get the players to run it properly. Steele had some good defenses but I thought he was a little too basic. I think you have more freedom to do things that confuse the offense in the 3-4. Giving really good offenses the same picture repeatedly will get you beat. Watching some of the recent bama games were pretty hard. They certainly had no trouble scoring on Steele’s defenses. 

Overall I’m pretty happy with how the defense has played this season. There have been stretches where we look lost but we tend to recover from that and play well. We’ve been an excellent 4th quarter defense. Really the penn state game is the only game where I would say overall was a poor performance. The lack of QB pressure and then no adjustments to get more pressure was head scratching. But since then we’ve gotten better in that area and of course defense has improved as a result. 

I know Mason is a well respected defensive mind in the industry. Everybody wanted him as a DC when vandy let him go. You don’t get that kind of reputation without a reason. So I’ll lean towards Mason knows a thing or two about running defenses. We’ll see if he is successful here at Auburn. Ol miss is going to be a huge test!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, e808 said:

So u think South Carolina is worse than Akron and ASU. Those points mostly came off turnovers. For some reason Bo kept throwing to Jaycee Horn side. U can’t expect the defense to hold when the other teams offense already have the ball in your territory. Cmon I know u watched the game and saw how putrid and inept the offense was with the turnovers. Luckily there hasn’t been many this year but when they occurred the other team scored. 
Lastly let’s visit this convo  after the Ole Miss game Corral 154/1/2 picks and scored 28 at Ole Miss. There was no DB or MD.

Man. I'm done. You just want to make your point validated. You just think CDM is trash based off of 6 games with a patchwork defense. War Eagle and IGTBAAT.  Peace

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I don’t think we’ll truly know about Mason until next season. You pretty much gotta expect a transition year when switching defensive schemes like we just did. Both bama and uga were pretty bad at first and look where they are now

Valid points

On 10/24/2021 at 2:55 AM, tbone4jc said:

The volume of transfer players we went after at every position on defense but LB should inform you just how depleted this defense is. 

This^^^

Also, it’s year 1 of a completely different scheme.   There will be growing pains.  Think the Muschamp year (2015?).  He did a fantastic job of getting our D turned around, but statistically it wasn’t a very good year.  Hopefully, that is what is happening this year.  

• Like 6

Spoiled by Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson. I would take them with the current staff and I think we would be as good if not better.

Edited by sevenlee36