Pappoe back for Ole Miss?

aubiefifty

Harsin says he hopes to get Pappoe back for Ole Miss game

ByMark Murphy
3-4 minutes

2 Minute Drill: Lot to like in road win vs. Hogs

AUBURN, Alabama–After starting every Auburn football game in 2019 and 2020 along with games one, two and three this season, Owen Pappoe has yet to return to action after going down with an injury in Auburn’s loss at Penn State on September 18th. On Wednesday, Auburn’s head coach, Bryan Harsin, said that he hopes the linebacker will be ready for his team's next game vs. Ole Miss a week from Saturday.

“I hope he is ready to go, we need him,” Harsin said. “I think this is a good time, at least for him, with this bye week to really give us a chance, not just with Owen but with other guys, too (to get well).

“Everybody has got guys during this time of year that are banged up,” the coach said. “Hopefully, they are ready to play and it is not something season-ending. We have certainly have guys who are feeling like that right now.

“We are still sharpening ourselves every day, but we are also trying to be smart about making sure guys get a little bit of a chance to recover.”

Harsin added, “Owen is no different so my hope is that he is going to be ready to go by Ole Miss. Like I have said before, I think those two guys, Chandler (Wooten) and Zakoby (McClain), have been very good for us. They have been playing, I think, some really, really good football. If we get Owen back in the mix, that is going to help in that (linebacker) rotation so we will see.

“I know Owen wants to be out there,” the coach emphasized. “There is no question about that. Owen wants to play. He wants to be with his team.

“He has done everything that he can when he is on the sidelines to help his teammates out. When he is on the practice field he is coaching guys up so he is into it and I know he wants to play. Hopefully, this week is the week we can get him to the point to the level where he needs to play at.”

10642503.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Pappoe last played against Penn State. (Photo: Joe Robbins, Getty)

Pappoe finished last season as the team’s second-leading tackler with 93 total stops. This season the linebacker has eight solo tackles with seven assists while playing in games one and two and part of game three.

The junior has two tackles behind the line of scrimmage for six yards in losses for the Tigers, who are ranked 19th this week in the AP Top 25.

Last year in a victory at Ole Miss, which is the next team on Auburn’s schedule, Pappoe led the Tigers in tackles with 14 that day in Oxford, which is his collegiate-high total.

Auburn, which is 5-2 overall and 2-1 in the Southeastern Conference, will watch Ole Miss play at home this Saturday vs. LSU. The Rebels, who are 5-1 overall, are tied with Auburn in the SEC West standings at 2-1, a half game behind divisional leader Alabama’s 3-1 mark.

17COMMENTS

Pappoe, who the Tigers signed as a five-star linebacker prospect out of Grayson High School in Georgia, was voted one of two permanent captains for the 2021 season by his teammates.

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

• Thanks 2

Guest MustardSeed
11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

was voted one of two permanent captains for the 2021 season by his teammates.

Pretty much sums up how big of a loss he’s been and how big it would be to get him back out there. I know my ankle still hurts daily from a bad sprain in June so I fully understand the delay. I couldn’t even begin to imagine trying to play football on my ankle for at least a couple more months. Of course I don’t have the worlds best sports medicine doctor handling my rehab so it’s not all that relevant 😂

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Glad this squashes out the (rumblings) that he just didn't want to play for his team 

What? I haven't even heard a whisper of this assertion.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

13 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Pretty much sums up how big of a loss he’s been and how big it would be to get him back out there. I know my ankle still hurts daily from a bad sprain in June so I fully understand the delay. I couldn’t even begin to imagine trying to play football on my ankle for at least a couple more months. Of course I don’t have the worlds best sports medicine doctor handling my rehab so it’s not all that relevant 😂

Yep.  There's a wide range of severity covered by the simple term "sprained ankle". 

There's no telling how badly he's hurt.

Edited by homersapien

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yep.  There's a wide range of severity covered by the simple term "sprained ankle". 

There's no telling how badly he's hurt.

Agreed. In my case I damaged at least 3 different ligaments (Achilles and at least 2 lower ankle ligaments). I “rolled” it backwards on the edge of my driveway hopping down out of my truck. Funny thing is that when it happened it didn’t really hurt.  I woke up at 2 am with swelling and severe pain and couldn’t walk without extreme difficulty for almost 2 months (over a month in a walking boot).  It literally hurts while I’m typing this 4 months later. And it was a “sprained ankle” that didn’t even initially hurt.  The term sprained ankle literally covers from very minor injury that’s better tomorrow to out for a year. 

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Agreed. In my case I damaged at least 3 different ligaments (Achilles and at least 2 lower ankle ligaments). I “rolled” it backwards on the edge of my driveway hopping down out of my truck. Funny thing is that when it happened it didn’t really hurt.  I woke up at 2 am with swelling and severe pain and couldn’t walk without extreme difficulty for almost 2 months (over a month in a walking boot).  It literally hurts while I’m typing this 4 months later. And it was a “sprained ankle” that didn’t even initially hurt.  The term sprained ankle literally covers from very minor injury that’s better tomorrow to out for a year. 

I had a similar sprain playing tennis.  It didn't really start to hurt for a couple of hours, but when it did, it was excruciating.  I have suffered many lesser sprains throughout my life.

The dreaded "high ankle sprain" keeps pro athletes out for a minimum of 4 weeks. This is about where we are with him.

45 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Okay…you haven’t. I have. What next?

Well based on the good things CBH has said about Pappoe and that he’s traveling and engaged with the team you should possibly adjust who you listen to.  It’s up to you of course. Just a suggestion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, creed said:

Well based on the good things CBH has said about Pappoe and that he’s traveling and engaged with the team you should possibly adjust who you listen to.  It’s up to you of course. Just a suggestion. 

Ok

19 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Glad this squashes out the (rumblings) that he just didn't want to play for his team 

Did it come from the same people that said Tank was transferring after Arkansas? I swear there’s a section of our fanbase that doesn’t even want us to succeed....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So CBH said the same thing the last two weeks. No news here.

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Did it come from the same people that said Tank was transferring after Arkansas? I swear there’s a section of our fanbase that doesn’t even want us to succeed....

just a few posts I saw before the UGA game of people assuming he could’ve been came back, if he wanted to, and alluding that he didn’t have it him to play a bit banged up. I dunno why someone would reach that conclusions, but you know how folks are 

• Like 1