Upon Further Review - Georgia Game

StatTiger

We played a lot better than what the score shows. If it wasn't for 2 could have been TDs (first drive and the over throw across the field in the end zone) game would have been a lot closer and close games at home I like our chances. Plus the no PI call ugh. I'm proud of the team regardless, they fought hard against a much more complete team and possible champs. Damn I just hate losing to UGA.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Stat, some of this is def on CBH.   Not sure if it is him trying to set a tone within the program,  but it seems he has gone for it many times where he could punt and pen the opp deep.   

thanks for posting, great read!

Edited by lala

Pass less, run more...and just catch the damn ball.  At least we started well and came out ready to play.  Gotta get em ready to beat a one dimensional Hog team.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Like Aaron Burr says:

“Pass less…Run More. Let them know what Hunter’s legs are for!” 

Did Burr say this before or after he shot a hole through Alex?

• Haha 2

8 drops is unacceptable, that’s just a killer against most anyone in the league, much less an elite D like UGA. Good stuff as usual Stat, thank ya sir. 

• Like 2

Bo did some stupid things early that could have been disastrous but luckily were not.

There's many reasons we lost Saturday, but as @StatTiger clearly points out above, it was not because of #10.

And for those who think we would have won the game had Big Uno played, I've got some ocean front property ...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I think we lose badly to Arky. We just don’t have the horses to win against good teams. (LSU is not a good team.) 

Just beat MSU and USCe...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I think we lose badly to Arky. We just don’t have the horses to win against good teams. (LSU is not a good team.) 

I've said this before and I will say it again, we may not win another game this year. I certainly hope I am wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, StatTiger said:

During Auburn’s last 45 possessions, only ONE has begun on the opponent’s side of the field. With Auburn scoring a touchdown 30 percent of the time, the lack of short fields is compounding the Tigers’ scoring potential from their side of the field. It must be a "team" concept for the 2021 Auburn Tigers to be successful in the win column.

This is something that I feel doesn’t get talked about enough. Half of this can probably be attributed to the bend don’t break ideology, but also…we literally get nothing out of the punt return game it feels like. I know seemingly every SEC team has a great punter nowadays, but we NEVER flip field, and it seems like we go for every block. 

It’s like the STC version of calling four verts every play. Try a change up 

It is a team loss. Everyone e had a part in the loss and Bo was a contributor.  The oline could be better at run blocking. The defense could be better at stopping the other teams offense. The WRs could help out by catching catchable balls. The officials could call the game unbiased.  That's how it goes. Once we get our lines right we will be good. I like our coaching staff. I love our players and appreciate the effort . Sometimes it just ain't good enough

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Arkansas is a really interesting run front. I think UGA early did some things (like actually throw a little) thinking they’d be stiffer than they were, but then, dives up the middle for 3 quarters. Ole Miss had some finesse running mixed in with power things, and everything stemmed from Corral’s RPO ability 

I don’t know what Auburn presents as a running threat consistently. Hunter has some fun sideline to sideline stuff, they run some things intended to get Shivers off tackle, but the holes close too quickly. I dunno

7 offensive touchdowns through 3 games…one was against a team that gave up 45 to UK and the other two featured a bevy of red zone opportunities 

As good as I think play calling was between the 20s yesterday, much of THAT has to come to coaching man 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

8 drops is unacceptable, that’s just a killer against most anyone in the league, much less an elite D like UGA. Good stuff as usual Stat, thank ya sir. 

Can someone tell me why Cannion(sp) is not getting more run? Is he in the dog house? grades? WHAT? He had one of the most spectacular catches against GA State and then didn't travel to LSU. I just don't understand the WR rotation...AT ALL. I know we don't have a #1 WR but at least give Malcom Johnson Jr, Cappers and Cannion an opportunity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea if this is correct, just posting what I saw from: Brian Stultz • AuburnSports

Stats show that the Tigers dropped 17 passes in all. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/dropped-passes-remains-big-problem

On a sidenote, here is who we have a wide out four stars and above:

AUBURN

Demetris Robertson: .9905 (5-star)

Kobe Hudson: .9509 (4-star)

Ze'Vian Capers: .9389 (4-star)

Malcolm Johnson Jr.: .9189 (4-star)

Ja'Varrius Johnson: .8914 (4-star)

Edited by AU-24

I was actually surprised at the performance. I expected to get completely blown out early.

I thought the coaching staff had us as ready to play as possible and we showed some grit and determination. That's all on the coaches for not losing the team and throwing in the towel against superior talent.

While I would love to see us be able to run the ball, but I'm not convinced that's a good idea right now. Running the ball against GA, IMHO, would have resulted in many 3 and outs and killed us. We just can't block well enough to do that. With our talent level, we have to keep balance and try to keep the other team guessing. If the other team knows what we're doing, we're dead. A run heavy offense is just telling the D "we're going to line up and beat you," that's just not happening with our roster. Sure, once in a while our stellar backs are going to get a big gain because they are good. But a run heavy offense has to do it consistently, make first downs, and move down the field methodically. Anyone who thinks we can do that is delusional. 

So my take is, the coaching staff is doing a great job instilling an attitude and, I hate to say it, a process. We need to find a different word for it, because We Are Auburn! I think they are getting more out of our players than the previous coaching staff and building a culture. If they can keep them playing with this level of determination and grit for the rest of the year, win or lose, I'll be happy with the progress.

6 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Can someone tell me why Cannion(sp) is not getting more run? Is he in the dog house? grades? WHAT? He had one of the most spectacular catches against GA State and then didn't travel to LSU. I just don't understand the WR rotation...AT ALL. I know we don't have a #1 WR but at least give Malcom Johnson Jr, Cappers and Cannion an opportunity. 

^^^this.. The catch Canion made in the GA State game on the sideline where he kept both feet down.. NFL catch. This kid should be getting some snaps. I am beginning to think we need to put his picture on a milk carton. With all the drops we have, definitely need to see fresh faces on the field. The rotation at wide receiver is a head scratcher for sure.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RunInRed said:

There's many reasons we lost Saturday, but as @StatTiger clearly points out above, it was not because of #10.

He was absolutely one of the reasons we lost and I don't think Stat really paints a different picture. We had a lot of drops but he also missed several open receivers. And the Shenker "drop" was a very poor pass that turned what should have been a routine catch into something far more difficult. 

It's fine to say the other skill players quite literally dropped the ball, because they absolutely did. But I'm not sure how that absolves Bo of his own shortcomings. 

• Like 2

The game was over when Smoke was kicked out - we had been playing strong for a quarter and had them stopped at the goal line. You could hear the air leave the fans when he was tossed. Most in my section even commented that the game was over then - I agree. The crowd never got back up to the noise level it had prior to that play.

Also - this is a pretty tough indictment for the Mason D - last in the SEC and nearly last in the country

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/10/statistically-speaking-auburn-has-secs-worst-red-zone-defense-midway-through-season.html

• Thanks 1