Nix upset with officiating

aubiefifty

Bo Nix upset with officiating after Auburn’s loss to Georgia

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
3-4 minutes

Bo Nix didn’t hold back after Auburn’s lopsided loss to Georgia.

The junior quarterback expressed frustration with the officiating in the Tigers’ 34-10 loss to the Bulldogs on Saturday, making particular note of a non-call by the officiating crew during a pivotal moment in the first half in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Facing fourth-and-goal from the Georgia 3-yard line, Auburn opted to go for it on fourth down late in the first half while trailing 17-3. Nix tried to find wide receiver Ze’Vian Capers in the back of the end zone over the middle, but it was broken up by Bulldogs defensive back Latavious Brini. Capers looked around to see if a flag was thrown on the play, and Nix pleaded with officials on the field to call defensive pass interference, as it appeared Brini may have made contact with Capers before the ball got to him.

Those pleas fell on deaf ears, and Georgia took over and kneeled out the clock to end the half.

“That was a big play,” Nix said. “Fourth-and-3 gives us a chance at the back of the end zone, and the guy completely grabs him. I thought it should’ve definitely been a pass interference. It’s just stuff like that that we don’t ever get, that changes the game. Obviously, if that would’ve been them, they probably would’ve called it, but that’s just part of the game and part of the rivalry.”

Stetson Bennett vs. Auburn

Instead of potentially drawing within a touchdown just before the half, Auburn went into the break trailing by two scores. It was one of two trips inside the Georgia 10-yard line that Auburn couldn’t capitalize on, with the other coming on the opening drive of the game when the Tigers settled for an Anders Carlson field goal from the Bulldogs’ 7-yard line.

“Always want to score touchdowns in the red zone,” center Nick Brahms said. “You know, maybe change momentum. Momentum’s huge in games like this, and um -- yeah, it would’ve been big. It would’ve been big, but hey, it’s football.”

Nix’s remarks were a sharp critique of the officiating following the team’s fifth straight loss in the Deep South’s Oldest rivalry and its most lopsided defeat in the series since a 27-point setback in 2014.

Nix, who completed 21-of-38 passes for 217 yards and an interception, was asked to expound on his comments later in the postgame interview. He went on to say that there were other calls that did not go Auburn’s way against Georgia but did not cite specific plays.

“I always feel like there are some questionable calls in big moments,” Nix said. “Obviously, there were a few today that I thought could have gone differently. I thought the one to Ze there at the end of the half, that was just kind of one of those judgment calls that was tough. It’s hard to make a play on the ball when they’re that aggressive. So, I guess the officials were letting us play today. We should’ve been more aggressive on our end, I guess, and seen how they would’ve responded to that.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

45 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

That was a big play,” Nix said. “Fourth-and-3 gives us a chance at the back of the end zone, and the guy completely grabs him. I thought it should’ve definitely been a pass interference. It’s just stuff like that that we don’t ever get, that changes the game. Obviously, if that would’ve been them, they probably would’ve called it, but that’s just part of the game and part of the rivalry.”

He’s not wrong. 

• Like 8

Its a crap shoot getting PI called in the end zone on a 4th down play.   Too much let the players play and dont affect the game from an officials standpoint.   Never let it come down to that.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Eh, it’s just not a good look for the player with the most impact on the game to blame the refs. We get some bad calls, sure, but it probably all comes out in the wash overall.

Sometimes they don’t call an obvious PI on your guy in the end zone on 4th. Other times they inexplicably decide to make your opponent punt on third down, or decide that your bizarre unforced fumble was intentional grounding.
Frustrating, but it cuts both ways.

I disagree. I think it's past time to start speaking up. Just sitting silently,sucking it up, has allowed it to continue all these years. Shine a light on it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I disagree. I think it's past time to start speaking up. Just sitting silently,sucking it up, has allowed it to continue all these years. Shine a light on it. 

EXACTLY! The coaches can't! The SEC officiating screwed us in the Penn State game and changed the game early yesterday. The 3rd down PI that they called on 18 vs 0 was BS. How did they miss the facemask on their return guy? It's time for someone to call these corrupt a**holes out!!! Thank you, BO! 

Edited by GAAubie
  • Like 3

"Yeah he grabbed him, I thought it should've been called but that's just part of the game, part of the rivalry" -Bo Nix (calmly, dismissively, after being goaded directly by not Tom Green)

"BO NIX UPSET ABOUT OFFICIATING" - talentless lying a**hole hack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Bo Nix upset with officiating after Auburn’s loss to Georgia

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
3-4 minutes

Bo Nix didn’t hold back after Auburn’s lopsided loss to Georgia.

The junior quarterback expressed frustration with the officiating in the Tigers’ 34-10 loss to the Bulldogs on Saturday, making particular note of a non-call by  

“I always feel like there are some questionable calls in big moments,” Nix said. “Obviously, there were a few today that I thought could have gone differently. I thought the one to Ze there at the end of the half, that was just kind of one of those judgment calls that was tough. It’s hard to make a play on the ball when they’re that aggressive. So, I guess the officials were letting us play today. We should’ve been more aggressive on our end, I guess, and seen how they would’ve responded to that.”

Although I agree with him 100%  it is not a good look to complain about officiating for anyone... esp players.

Bad calls happen.  almost invariably one team thinks the call was correct.    In the long run 50% of the bad calls go your way.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 2

I think coaches, players and ADs should all start whining about it then. Nothing gets resolved when people remain silent. I have no problem with calling a penalty on Auburn if they are guilty.....as long as the same is being called on our opponents. That's where the issue lies. Jimbo Fisher said something about holding by bammer not being called, and we all know that's true. I see that as something that needed to be said rather than whining. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I think coaches, players and ADs should all start whining about it then. Nothing gets resolved when people remain silent. I have no problem with calling a penalty on Auburn if they are guilty.....as long as the same is being called on our opponents. That's where the issue lies. Jimbo Fisher said something about holding by bammer not being called, and we all know that's true. I see that as something that needed to be said rather than whining. 

I mostly agree with this. Like in basketball, coaches and players know the refs aren't perfect, but want the game called the same on both sides. It infuriates me when AU or any other team gets a holding call against uat. I do not care how blatant it may be, bama is consistently worse. And PI is the most confusing call in college football. Like touch fouls in basketball one minute, and totally overlooked the next. Or it seems dependant on who has the ball some games, yesterday being a prime example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I see your point,  but Where does it end?  everyone complaining about the refs all the time.  Reverse the call and reverse the team complaining.  Then what, preemptive complaining to refs  about a team to influence game calls?     There would always be someone complaining.   

It is undignified.  Both sides being judged equally is all we can ask.  Besides,  we have so many more important issues to worry about.   

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

Without getting into the "yeah but" stuff and just addressing his point, he is right, especially on the PI call he mentioned. We get called for a PI when their 6'7" TE is trying to make a one handed grab about 9' feet up already halfway out of bounds and fumbling the ball as he does it. Then they get a no call on a sure AU TD, with their DB clearly making early contact and grabbing the jersey of our WR. All this while the Ref is standing in the back of the EZ, 4 feet away, absolutely staring at the play and the contact. No, this was just too blatant. It shouldn't be ignored especially in light of the other call. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I think it’s too subjective.   It should be called if an advantage is gained by either the defense or offense.   Hand fighting happens all game long by both teams.   
there are several penalties I don’t agree with that need to change.  

13 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I think it’s too subjective.   It should be called if an advantage is gained by either the defense or offense.   Hand fighting happens all game long by both teams.   
there are several penalties I don’t agree with that need to change.  

I didn’t think this was hand fighting. He appeared to be pulling down on his back arm to me. If true definitely gives a defensive advantage.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, auskip07 said:

Its a crap shoot getting PI called in the end zone on a 4th down play.   Too much let the players play and dont affect the game from an officials standpoint.   Never let it come down to that.   

If the refs are not going to call that then they should not have called the PI when our player went up with with their TE.  He was facing the ball and both were fighting for the ball.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Although I agree with him 100%  it is not a good look to complain about officiating for anyone... esp players.

Bad calls happen.  almost invariably one team thinks the call was correct.    In the long run 50% of the bad calls go your way.

He didn't complain. Tom Green pump-pieced this I'm telling yall

He just made a mild comment on it when some reporter asked him about it directly. Then Green made an AL two-pager about it hugely out of context. Almost like sabotage. 

"Bo Nix didn’t hold back after Auburn’s lopsided loss to Georgia.

The junior quarterback expressed frustration with the officiating in the Tigers’ 34-10 loss to the Bulldogs on Saturday, making particular note of a non-call by the officiating crew during a pivotal moment ...."

That's a lie. He did hold back, and he didnt "make a particular note" about a damn thing. He was asked about this play specifically. This one is so bad I think it should be removed from here. And that's not a hit on aubiefifty. I like these posts. That non- PI call is worthy of discussion but not on a page of Tom Green smearing Bo Nix. If I was Auburn Admin I'd drop Greens creds. 

Edited by jAUSon
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

This has always been a part of the game with the rivals, and especially in home stadiums.  But this continues to get progressively worse.  TV contract, playoff money, ESPN, bias towards Nike programs!!!  And then there is the SEC league bias towards bammers and puppies.   And don’t get me started on NCAA targeted investigations and inquiries, or the lack of. 

a game can be controlled by holding and pass interference calls/no calls. It happens every week.  Beat the bammers and dawgs and you have to beat the refs too. 

just too much money involved.  Very disheartening. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jAUSon said:

"Yeah he grabbed him, I thought it should've been called but that's just part of the game, part of the rivalry" -Bo Nix (calmly, dismissively, after being goaded directly by not Tom Green)

"BO NIX UPSET ABOUT OFFICIATING" - talentless lying a**hole hack

Why Do we have to constantly tell people that writers don’t create the headline and that the editors do?

Embarrassing 

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Why Do we have to constantly tell people that writers don’t create the headline and that the editors do?

Embarrassing 

Derived from the first paragraph, by it's author

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Those calls go our way and nobody here says anything about it. God I love fandom. 

No, fans don't complain when bad calls go their way. That has nothing to do with whether they are objectively bad calls or not, however.

I guess I don't understand your point. Do you not want well officiated games? 

• Like 1