Let’s talk about the defense

gr82b4au

So much focus has been on the offense, and deservedly so. However I thought coming into the season that we would need our defense to win game for us. Of course wearing my orange and blue glasses, I  thought that we would have a top 15 defense in the country. Mainly because I thought that our defensive backfield would be the best. Booy was I wrong. 
We knew what we were getting with Bo. He is not very good.

We knew what we were getting with the offensive line. They are not very good.

We knew that all of our wide receivers had graduated and that it would be rough this year. Nobody thought it would be this terrible,  but we knew it would be rough. 

But I do not think any Auburn fan thought that our defense would be this bad. Especially after we hired Mason. He was a home run hire. 
Watching every quarterback we have played this year tear us apart has been astonishing. We might break some kind of record for completion percentage against Auburn this year. Quarterbacks are licking their chops. Auburn is a pad your stats game.

Wth has gone wrong? Seriously I am shocked.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Wth has gone wrong? Seriously I am shocked.

Lack of talent, and speed. We have one corner that may play on Sundays, but that's it. Maybe one DL as well. Linebackers are ballers, but undersized. 

10 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Lack of talent, and speed. We have one corner that may play on Sundays, but that's it. Maybe one DL as well. Linebackers are ballers, but undersized. 

I really hope Hall and Leota come back.

Really comes down to lack of QB pressure. Marlon and D brown didn't have a ton of sacks but they were consistently disrupting the back field. 

Seems like we're sending 3 guys to play patty cake with the opposing o line every 1st half then make adjustments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

But I do not think any Auburn fan thought that our defense would be this bad. Especially after we hired Mason. He was a home run hire.

I didn't think Georgia would run on us like they did the 2nd half, but I wasn't as big a fan of the Mason hire (seemed a lot of his allure was based on holding down Chip Kelly's offense while he was at Stanford; more to it I'm sure but that was a big part of it). Mason may still be good, but it is a huge switch to go from 4-2-5 pressure man to a 3-whatever zone scheme and it will take time to adjust/learn/recruit to it. But, I thought we had a solid run D until 2nd half vs Georgia. Hopefully we get better. Losing Smoke didn't help run defense for sure.

No pappoe no moultry no hall or smoke fr in the 2nd half. Defense played okay against the #1 team played better than arky. We ran out of gas when the offense couldn’t score plus prittchet gotta see less min. No way he playing better than Simpson 

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed

We are currently 4th in the SEC in yards allowed per game and 3rd in points allowed.  But I guess we aren’t 1st with a first year staff so there’s that 

15 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

We are currently 4th in the SEC in yards allowed per game and 3rd in points allowed.  But I guess we aren’t 1st with a first year staff so there’s that 

Right ? Statistically speaking we are good . Not great 

There is just a huge talent gap when compared to UGA, UA, T A&M and maybe Fla. We are weak in overall talent and depth in the trenches. We have good talent but not like we had just a few years ago. A few Nick Fairly, Derek Brown, and those OL monsters. The trenches I think are our biggest weakness. I know about the receivers and etc. but it all starts in the trenches. 

• Like 3

Where are Dreshun Miller and Ro Torrence. I expected bit of those guys to at least provide depth. Haven’t seen them at all. 

I’m disappointed in D back play but until we get faster off the edge to apply pressure it’s going to be hard to get back to being an elite defense. Redshirted D Linemen bode well for the future:  Lee Hunter, Marquis Robinson, Dylan Brooks, Tobechi Okoli, and Ian Matthews. I know it’s hard but we’re going to going to have to be patient. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed

Let’s talk about the fan base expectations instead. 
Over the last 8 year tenure of the previous coach we averaged 8.5 wins a year (with a bowl game included) and won more than 10 one time and 10 one time.

So (2) total 10 win seasons in the previous 8. 
So we averaged around 8 wins a year regular season…for the last 8 years

But for some unknown reason Auburn fans expect a new coach to come into that culture and immediately win 10 every year or he’s a flop and we hired the wrong guy. 
I think Auburn fans need to collectively take a break and understand that breeding success from entrenched mediocrity takes a large culture change and that any coach trying to break that old culture will likely have some major setbacks and moments that look awful before everyone on the team finally comes around to the new way. It’s almost guaranteed at any school anywhere at any time. Breaking down old habits often causes regression before moving forward. Changing the way you do something you’ve done a certain way for years causes uncertainty and while you may have done the old way better than your currently doing the new way, once you master the new way your ceiling will be much higher. The process can and likely will be painful, but it’s the only acceptable option. For the other option is continuing to excel at mediocrity. 
I for one will allow the process to come full circle before badmouthing these coaches and players and thank the Lord that the fan base is not judged the same way the 18-22 year olds and 1st year staff are being judged or we’d have no fans left. 

I don’t expect that.
I expect our players to be able to cover a small Wr on a post route. 

I expect us to create more turnovers. 

Why is it ok to bitch about Bo and the WRs but not talk about the lack of a pass rush or creating turnovers?