Moving Forward

JMassie11

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Thank you to our last administration, we have so many holes that need to be filled. Quarterback is one of them. Offensive linemen are crucial. Wide receivers are crucial. We need elite players. I am going to beat this horse dead into the ground. We just aren’t good enough. 
The reason that I mentioned this is because I do not think either of the quarterbacks are all that good. I think that bo can win or lose every game left on the schedule. Same for Finley. They both have flaws. And the pieces that they are working with, like the receivers and the offensive line, are abysmal. 

I think it's more than just getting bodies. It's gonna take time to teach these kids the right way of doing things. Was listening to a pre-game podcast that had Sammie Coates on it and he mentioned when he went to the NFL he was telling coaches that he didn't run routes at Auburn. I think he said something like the WRs just went and made plays. It's going to take more than 1 offseason to train these kids on how to run a route, how to block, how to tackle, how to defend. Gus ruined a lot of these kids by not teaching them properly and now we have to be patient. It sucks but that's just how it is.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Need to unleash the kid

I really want to see him at least 4 times this season. You have 4 games to play him before you redshirt him. You might as well take advantage of that even if it's only for 1 play or 1 series. It's stupid not to do it. Change it up on offense, bring in a running QB to keep the defense on it's toes to run some more option plays.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Our WR’s had at least 8 drops today unfortunately.  Bo was not the issue.  

I’d say our running game is the issue.  We have to get it going.   We shouldn’t be passing as much as we r.  

8 minutes ago, lala said:

I’d say our running game is the issue.  We have to get it going.   We shouldn’t be passing as much as we r.  

To be able to run, we have to block.

4 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I think it's more than just getting bodies. It's gonna take time to teach these kids the right way of doing things. Was listening to a pre-game podcast that had Sammie Coates on it and he mentioned when he went to the NFL he was telling coaches that he didn't run routes at Auburn. I think he said something like the WRs just went and made plays. It's going to take more than 1 offseason to train these kids on how to run a route, how to block, how to tackle, how to defend. Gus ruined a lot of these kids by not teaching them properly and now we have to be patient. It sucks but that's just how it is.

A lot of this talk from former players is horse sh*t.   They know and were taught how to run a route.    It’s concepts on what to run during certain coverages on any given play that wasn’t being taught. Gus would call a play and guys would run there route no matter the defense.   Now, Sammy has to read a coverage and make his route accordingly and be on the same page as the QB.  

Man I don't know what to tell you guys......some of the drops are because of suck throws. The catching is horrible and the throws are too. It's just hilarious to say take away 5 drops.....every catch shouldn't take a super human effort.

Then we make comments like their guys catch everything.....you mean the balls that hits them in the chest? The balls that get delivered right in the bread basket? You think?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

Nix threw for 217 yards on 55% today against the number 1 defense in the country. Take away all the drops and he might have thrown for 300. Take away just 2 specific drops and we score a TD on our opening drive and don't gift them a field goal on our second.

Problem is that is Nix's vs all teams 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Man I don't know what to tell you guys......some of the drops are because of suck throws. The catching is horrible and the throws are too. It's just hilarious to say take away 5 drops.....every catch shouldn't take a super human effort.

Then we make comments like their guys catch everything.....you mean the balls that hits them in the chest? The balls that get delivered right in the bread basket? You think?

I am seeing more drops than uncatchable passes.   (By a HUGE margin if you do not count throw aways.)

The good news is... we have a plethora of players that can play DB.   :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am seeing more drops than uncatchable passes.   (By a HUGE margin if you do not count throw aways.)

The good news is... we have a plethora of players that can play DB.   :)

And h back. It's not realistic to think wr's should make every twisting over the wrong shoulder catch. They need to get better though I won't make a mistake and try to say it's all Bo's fault. But it doesn't make sense that all the games combined the opposing team wr's don't have to try to make the catches our guys do in one game. 

The forward pass is a big part of football and we are limited to no more than 15 yards and that's pushing it. Really ten yards is our limit......we are more of a threat to have an explosive play in the run game than the pass....That's a problem! 

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Some "drops" like the TD pass to Shenker shouldn't be counted. But there were plenty other basic catches that would change the game..

Probably still lose 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Some "drops" like the TD pass to Shenker shouldn't be counted. But there were plenty other basic catches that would change the game..

Probably still lose 

I agree. Everybody has to get better, we also have the balls that weren't thrown that would have changed the game missed the wide open td , that int to shivers the tight end breaking free wide open..... Uga capitalized, we didn't

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And h back. It's not realistic to think wr's should make every twisting over the wrong shoulder catch. They need to get better though I won't make a mistake and try to say it's all Bo's fault. But it doesn't make sense that all the games combined the opposing team wr's don't have to try to make the catches our guys do in one game. 

The forward pass is a big part of football and we are limited to no more than 15 yards and that's pushing it. Really ten yards is our limit......we are more of a threat to have an explosive play in the run game than the pass....That's a problem! 

I have defended our WR with "there will always be a few drops" up until this game, but It is just way out of hand.   It is not just WR's either.    We have had balls hit players in the facemask,  back, chest, hands etc.   in the uga game alone. Some of them uncontested.  Those type drops should rarely happen at this level.

Bad passes,  good defensive play,  uncalled PI, in my opinion are acceptable drops along with very,  few  random  "easy catch" drops.   3-4 easy catch drops per game will not work.   the problem is compounded by errant throws,  and our inability to get open quickly/hold blocks on OL.

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I have defended our WR with "there will always be a few drops" up until this game, but It is just way out of hand.   It is not just WR's either.    We have had balls hit players in the facemask,  back, chest, hands etc.   in the uga game alone. Some of them uncontested.  Those type drops should rarely happen at this level.

Bad passes,  good defensive play,  uncalled PI, in my opinion are acceptable drops along with very,  few  random  "easy catch" drops.   3-4 easy catch drops per game will not work.   the problem is compounded by errant throws,  and our inability to get open quickly/hold blocks on OL.

I agree with everything you say. My only point is to those that say this has nothing to do with Bo it's on the wr's....

The wr's has to get better. It was actually mostly Robertsonand shivers isn't a wr but I'm sure he'll get better. Everybody else had like one drop. But it is too many. But also well placed balls alleviates a bunch of this as well.

All I'm saying is everybody has to get better. Nobody hands are clean

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But also well placed balls alleviates a bunch of this as well.

Yep, and look no further than the dimes Bennet dropped to his guys yesterday. His throws were ‘there’ instead of ‘almost there’. And the results showed on the scoreboard. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Yep, and look no further than the dimes Bennet dropped to his guys yesterday. His throws were ‘there’ instead of ‘almost there’. And the results showed on the scoreboard. 

And that's my point. He misses two of those plays the way we missed two of them actually maybe even more but let's just say two this is a COMPLETELY different ball game. The line from great to good is that thin.

The wr's no doubt has to get better but we are going to have to get better at passing and we can't be taken serious until we can pass the ball 15 yards down field. That's an issue. We can't keep pretending it's not.

I agree with you completely

14 hours ago, BigSammyK said:

Nix threw for 217 yards on 55% today against the number 1 defense in the country. Take away all the drops and he might have thrown for 300. Take away just 2 specific drops and we score a TD on our opening drive and don't gift them a field goal on our second.

This.

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree with everything you say. My only point is to those that say this has nothing to do with Bo it's on the wr's....

The wr's has to get better. It was actually mostly Robertsonand shivers isn't a wr but I'm sure he'll get better. Everybody else had like one drop. But it is too many. But also well placed balls alleviates a bunch of this as well.

All I'm saying is everybody has to get better. Nobody hands are clean

This too.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

That's been the case many times before...but yesterday Nix was the most accurate I've ever seen him and drops were happening on well placed balls at key moments.  Kobe's the only one that did his job consistently out of that group - a couple of those sidelines grabs were beautiful.

On the flipside... Maybe this group just doesn't trust Bo to place the ball where it's supposed to be and they're not mentally focused?  A QB whose been largely inconsistent with ball placement his whole career can't get too upset with WRs that are also inconsistent.  Just seems like both of their issues are probably tied together and may take a while to get fixed.

25 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yeah, and Bennet's OL was "there" instead of almost there too. Dimes are a lot easier to drop when not running for your life or looking over your shoulder because you had to run for it on the last three plays. 

One last thing on the QB situation: Look back at Stan White's career (especially the TD/INT ratio pre-93) and Jason Campbell's career (the most frequent descriptor of him among the message board elite was "deer in the headlights") prior to their senior years. Both of them finally got the QB coaching they needed, and the results were magic. Whether the coaches start Bo or TJ NEXT year, I bet we see a quantum leap improvement as we did with Stan and Jason. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

That's been the case many times before...but yesterday Nix was the most accurate I've ever seen him and drops were happening on well placed balls at key moments.  Kobe's the only one that did his job consistently out of that group - a couple of those sidelines grabs were beautiful.

On the flipside... Maybe this group just doesn't trust Bo to place the ball where it's supposed to be and they're not mentally focused?  A QB whose been largely inconsistent with ball placement his whole career can't get too upset with WRs that are also inconsistent.  Just seems like both of their issues are probably tied together and may take a while to get fixed.

All the drops, well most of the drops came from Robertson and shivers after that nobody had more than one. It's still too many as a group but some of those drops are just bad throws. But I'm more concerned about the throws we didn't make because he either wasn't patient or just didn't see it.

Our pass game is super elementary.  We are hiding our qb instead of being led by him. That's a problem

Thing is, Bo is not good enough, and our line is not good enough, to have our receivers drop passes. Just, period.

Bo is wildly inconsistent and inaccurate. The line is average at best. So when they actually give Bo a bit of time, and he actually puts the ball in there, it's absolutely crucial our receivers catch it.

The ball to Shenker was the only one yesterday I say that required some body contortion. But even still, most SEC caliber athletes make that catch. It bounced off his freaking helmet. Everything else was pretty egregious in terms of a drop. No excuse. 

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

All the drops, well most of the drops came from Robertson and shivers after that nobody had more than one. It's still too many as a group but some of those drops are just bad throws. But I'm more concerned about the throws we didn't make because he either wasn't patient or just didn't see it.

Our pass game is super elementary.  We are hiding our qb instead of being led by him. That's a problem

Shedrick had maybe the worst of the day on that post.

• Like 1