If Bo really is turning the corner

aubiefifty

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There is absolutely no way this is true.  Sorry, housing prices have been skyrocketing since 2011.  Any house worth a damn has a bidding war...or did until that last 3 months.  No one is losing money in real estate right now

Not true at all.  There are other factors at play as well, like how much money people invest into these old homes in Atlanta.  You can still take a loss.  Also, some home values rise steeper than others.  If you sell a house in Atlanta and move to a more affluent area that is safer you have to pay more for a similar sized home.  You can buy a home for $400,000, drop $200,000 on renovations and sell it for $550,000.

Back to your other point, a great example to see the downfall is Lenox Square Mall.  Once the crown jewel of Buckhead, it is now the center of robberies and shootings.

Edited by abw0004

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Once the crown jewel of Buckhead, it is now the center of robberies and shootings.

This is ridiculous. Crime is actually down in Atlanta vs pre covid/2019.  Major crimes are actually down 10%.  Buglaries, robbery, larceny are all down.  The only things that are up are murders/agg assualt.  Pretty much in line with the rest of the country

Buckhead is down 8%, so inline with the city.  Robbery down 10%, Larceny from car down 24% and Burglary down 50%.

So no, the actual stats don't line up.

Car break ins have been a thing in Atlanta for ever.  My wife's car was broken into at Phipps in like 2008 when she first moved to Atlanta.  There was a man murdered in 1999 at the old bars in Buckhead when Buckhead was still Buckhead.  Crime happens in big cities.  It's been exacerbated by the pandemic. 

There is a specific reason to the sudden spike in crime.  It's not like it has been trending upwards for a decade and just got out of control.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. A lot of people have opined that he's oblivious to pressure, but another way to look at that is he's just not nearly as bothered by it as Bo clearly is. 

I would've loved for him to get a series around the time Bo did the spinning routine on 4th down and got sacked, but before UGA brought the second string in. Just to see how he would've done 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This is ridiculous. Crime is actually down in Atlanta vs pre covid/2019.  Major crimes are actually down 10%.  Buglaries, robbery, larceny are all down.  The only things that are up are murders/agg assualt.  Pretty much in line with the rest of the country

Buckhead is down 8%, so inline with the city.  Robbery down 10%, Larceny from car down 24% and Burglary down 50%.

So no, the actual stats don't line up.

What?  Where did you get those stats from?

The city of Atlanta is facing what Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms has called a "Covid crime wave." Homicides are up by about 63% compared to the same time last year and up 43% compared to the same period in 2019, according to late May data released by the Atlanta Police Department. The city has seen more than 300 shooting incidents since the start of the year, up 45% from what it recorded this time last year, and up 55% from 2019, according to the data.

Source:  https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/us/atlanta-buckhead-city-movement/index.html

White says crime is driving the effort to separate from the city. “The thing that put us over the top was our murder rate and our shootings,” he said, pointing out police records showing Buckhead’s murder rate increased by 140% and shootings by 170% since 2019, which police have attributed in part to the pandemic. “[With] the murder rate, and the shootings and the carjackings and the waterboys and the street racing, no one can sleep at night,” he said. White says that’s on top of increased taxes and a decline in city services. “This is the culmination of a number of what I call crazy policies where Buckhead also feels we’ve been exploited for many, many, many years,”

Source:  https://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2021/09/01/buckhead-inches-closer-to-seceding-from-the-city-of-atlanta/

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

What?  Where did you get those stats from?

The city of Atlanta is facing what Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms has called a "Covid crime wave." Homicides are up by about 63% compared to the same time last year and up 43% compared to the same period in 2019,

Read my post better.

40 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The only things that are up are murders/agg assualt.

Overall crime is down. Only 2 of 6 major categories are up, the two I specifically mentioned. 

ADP puts our weekly crime stats.l that has the data by Zone 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not true at all.  There are other factors at play as well, like how much money people invest into these old homes in Atlanta.  You can still take a loss.  Also, some home values rise steeper than others.  If you sell a house in Atlanta and move to a more affluent area that is safer you have to pay more for a similar sized home.  You can buy a home for $400,000, drop $200,000 on renovations and sell it for $550,000.

Back to your other point, a great example to see the downfall is Lenox Square Mall.  Once the crown jewel of Buckhead, it is now the center of robberies and shootings.

Buckhead is on its way down and has been for as long as i have been in Atlanta. But to imply the city is failing apart due to crime and the attitudes people have to police is not accurate. Hell the police just got approval for a multiple billion dollar training center by the city. Certain areas are on the decline while others are on the rise. The West side of Atlanta is booming as is the area i live in. Crime exists everywhere....i got my car broken into more in the burbs than i have living inside the perimeter. There is more crime in the city sure.....but IMO its in very consolidated areas . 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Read my post better.

Overall crime is down. Only 2 of 6 major categories are up, the two I specifically mentioned. 

ADP puts our weekly crime stats.l that has the data by Zone 

Ah, you did say that, my apologies.  Although the two of the six are the two biggest ones.

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Buckhead is on its way down and has been for as long as i have been in Atlanta. But to imply the city is failing apart due to crime and the attitudes people have to police is not accurate. Hell the police just got approval for a multiple billion dollar training center by the city. Certain areas are on the decline while others are on the rise. The West side of Atlanta is booming as is the area i live in. Crime exists everywhere....i got my car broken into more in the burbs than i have living inside the perimeter. There is more crime in the city sure.....but IMO its in very consolidated areas . 

This is true and I agree with it.  The only exception is the police part.  I never said anything about the police.  In fact, the article I sourced above praises them:

He indicated Buckhead would better support and train police officers, who he said would still be able to work in Atlanta. “You have to love on your police. You have to support them. You have to pay them well,” said White.  He added, “There are bad apples, and we gotta get rid of them.” Atlanta police and city officials have laid out plans over the last several months to address violent crimes.

But, the crime itself is the reason why Buckhead is splitting.  Atlanta raised their taxes and nothing was improving so people are leaving.  This is the only option to save Buckhead from spiraling.