If Bo really is turning the corner

aubiefifty

These are excellent breakdowns and showing how we are missing so many opportunities. I can't believe he scrambles 25 yards backwards. That is hard to fathom and makes our offense look like a joke. I just want him to sling the ball. That is what's required at this level and in this offense. Stop being gun-shy and push the ball downfield. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, au302 said:

These are excellent breakdowns and showing how we are missing so many opportunities. I can't believe he scrambles 25 yards backwards. That is hard to fathom and makes our offense look like a joke. I just want him to sling the ball. That is what's required at this level and in this offense. Stop being gun-shy and push the ball downfield. 

Exactly. 3 years in and he still runs out of the pocket whenever there is a hint of pressure. Its a propensity that kills  drives and ruins field position. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, au302 said:

I just want him to step up in the pocket instead of doing that. Like his mind seems to equate rolling out to the only option for moving around pressure. I can’t remember the last time he just stepped up to actually throw. Sometimes does it to pause before running…never throw 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

Exactly. 3 years in and he still runs out of the pocket whenever there is a hint of pressure. Its a propensity that kills  drives and ruins field position. 

It’s also the opposite mentality of a qb like joe burrow and mac Jones.   They anticipated plays, proper reads and step up into the pocket or sled in the pocket to make a throw

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The announcers on the broadcast said exactly what @JwgreDeux did. Neuheisel and Murray- who disagreed a few times on other things- both agreed on exactly what he just said. It was there and he didn't take it. 

Yep. Announcers say it every week. Lack of timing, stepping up in the pocket, happy feet, being able to throw WRs open, etc. Again there's plenty of blame to go around regarding our offense: QB, WRs, and OL. However, the OL is the group that gets falsely blamed many times b/c our QB doesn't step up in the pocket. WRs and QB play are letting us down tremendously.

No Bo didn't have a horrible game but even without the drops it's going to be a struggle to believe that he can lead us to victory against the better teams. Can we honestly say that if the WRs were not dropping passes, that we believe in Bo to lead us to victory over UGA, BAMA, and A&M? If i'm the opposing team I stack the box and make him prove it every week. The consistency every week is just not there, but that's what we already know. So outside of getting guys to catch, I want to know how do we expect Harsin and Bobo to scheme for an inconsistent QB against the better teams?

I'm not upset about this year b/c i expected it but if we're having the same discussion this time next year about the same QBs, I will be upset.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

So you think Bo is the reason we can't beat a top ten team? I would like to see some pics focusing on the routes the receivers are running to give Bo a chance for quick throws other than the quick wideouts which are usually a wasted play. As they say, it takes two to tango and I don't see our receivers running routes like some other top ten teams.

i would also ask why in the sequence Hunter runs for 8 1/2 on first down, we throw two straight passes. Seems the odds are better for two running plays with the backs we have. That points to questionable play calling. doesn't it?

This thread is about if Bo has turned a corner. My point here is that Bo is the same Bo from the last two seasons. Flashes of real talent burdened by scrambling tendencies and inconsistent accuracy. 

of course I’m not suggesting one player is the only reason we can’t beat top teams. But you can’t beat them if you can’t throw the ball down the field that is for sure. 

• Like 4

Like so many athletic qb's Bo's ability running has hindered him. For whatever reason Bo hasn't been graded like most dual threats are.

It would have been good at the start of his college career to tell him he's not allowed to scramble except on game days. This would have actually been good for him in high school. I'm still just confused how under developed he is given his pedigree.

But anyway I'm pretty sure that's what petrino did with Lamar Jackson. Sort of funny how we didn't offer him for the same stuff we put up with now.

But anyway Georgia is a hard team to go up against and the wr dropped a bunch of balls. Arky is the last game I can wait personally

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Arky is the last game I can wait personally

On the road...I think we know what we'll get. I hope Finley gets plenty of reps

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

It would have been good at the start of his college career to tell him he's not allowed to scramble except on game days. This would have actually been good for him in high school. I'm still just confused how under developed he is given his pedigree.

This. It is so ingrained in him to bail and try to make plays running around that he can’t help himself. I loved the outcome but said out loud at the time that those plays against LSU really weren’t going to be good for Bo going forward; just more reinforcement of bad habits

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, fredst said:

This. It is so ingrained in him to bail and try to make plays running around that he can’t help himself. I loved the outcome but said out loud at the time that those plays against LSU really weren’t going to be good for Bo going forward; just more reinforcement of bad habits

Yes. Of course you can't say such things after a win, but we all knew that LSU defense sucked. 

And look at the reactions, boasting and so proud of a game with no passes longer than 15-20 yards. And I'm not saying that we shouldn't have celebrated or whatever I'm just saying we heap so much praise off so regular stuff. We haven't seen a great QB in so long the mundane excited us so. We haven't seen great play in so long we are still making excuses trying to make what we see now extraordinary. Every game is yeah but if this or that was perfect then we'd really have something....

And I don't know how we got to where we are now when so many QB's one game was all we needed to see to say a guy doesn't have it. If a guy didn't play he needed to change positions. We were so hard on QB's that we would point out how cam Newton and Nick Marshall aren't accurate, Stidham needs to learn how to stay in the pocket and take a hit. But here we are middle of junior season saying maybe he'll turn the corner! I feel like this is the Twilight zone

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

That's nonsense.  The WR is out of his break and the DB is standing still.  The ball should be out now

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.19.52 PM.png

Yes, he’s clearly got 3-4 yards clearance before any pressure. You have to see that develop.  

4 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

So you think Bo is the reason we can't beat a top ten team? I would like to see some pics focusing on the routes the receivers are running to give Bo a chance for quick throws other than the quick wideouts which are usually a wasted play. As they say, it takes two to tango and I don't see our receivers running routes like some other top ten teams.

i would also ask why in the sequence Hunter runs for 8 1/2 on first down, we throw two straight passes. Seems the odds are better for two running plays with the backs we have. That points to questionable play calling. doesn't it?

The coaches dialed up a TD play right after Hunter’s run. It make sense to take a shot on second and short. The players (Bo, in this case) just aren’t executing. Nothing wrong with the play calling. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

The coaches dialed up a TD play right after Hunter’s run. It make sense to take a shot on second and short. The players (Bo, in this case) just aren’t executing. Nothing wrong with the play calling. 

Yep. Second and short is the classic play to take a deep shot, almost cliche

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

I got into an argument over saying second and short is usually when teams will take shots down field, on a football forum. This is such a sensitive subject that plain logical football is now taboo. You're a know it all for saying something like that. You are just saying that because you hate the QB etc.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cbo said:

The coaches dialed up a TD play right after Hunter’s run. It make sense to take a shot on second and short. The players (Bo, in this case) just aren’t executing wrong with the play calling. . Nothing wrong with the play calling

I just disagree when we have two stud RBs and a QB who has to scramble a lot. Hunter got us there, give him a shot to take it in. In any event the plays called got zero points.

Edited by Proud Tiger

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I got into an argument over saying second and short is usually when teams will take shots down field, on a football forum. This is such a sensitive subject that plain logical football is now taboo. You're a know it all for saying something like that. You are just saying that because you hate the QB etc.....

Wow. That’s even worse than I have grown to expect. Basic stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I just disagree when we have two stud RBs and a QB who has to scramble a lot. Hunter got us there, give him a shot to take it in. In any event the plays called got zero points.

Hunter had an 8 yard run. That doesn’t mean you give it to him until he scores a TD. 

It’s straightforward to me. The play call would have resulted in a TD with decent execution. That makes it a good call! 

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It keeps being said that we have to somehow stretch the field. That’s the perfect down and distance to at least try

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I got into an argument over saying second and short is usually when teams will take shots down field, on a football forum.

No you didn't.  You brought up that point to argue for no reason & no one contested it b/c we were talking about the outcome of a specific play that resulted in a 1st down...not hypotheticals/statistical events of 2nd and short

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, cbo said:

Nothing wrong with the play calling

I don't think the play calling has been that bad.  Too many bad throws, unmade throws, bad blocking, or drops.

I guess the only hope is there is a lot of room for improvement.  Doubtful much comes from Bo, so hopefully the young WR core can keep growing with more experience and playing time in the new offense. If we got like a 10% improvement from Bo and 25% from our WR core we're probably 8-3 or 9-2 going into the IB.

Hopefully we can see some growth out throughout the season.  Counting more on the WRs b/c they probably have room to grow.  Think Bo and the OL are pretty much tapped out.

Or Maybe we change QBs again and we have a good bump

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't think the play calling has been that bad.  Too many bad throws, unmade throws, bad blocking, or drops.

I guess the only hope is there is a lot of room for improvement.  Doubtful much comes from Bo, so hopefully the young WR core can keep growing with more experience and playing time in the new offense. If we got like a 10% improvement from Bo and 25% from our WR core we're probably 8-3 or 9-2 going into the IB.

Hopefully we can see some growth out throughout the season.  Counting more on the WRs b/c they probably have room to grow.  Think Bo and the OL are pretty much tapped out.

Or Maybe we change QBs again and we have a good bump

Yep, Bo is what he is. I’m arguing about what that is elsewhere, so I’ll refrain here. 

Agree the OL is what it is. I feel like they are playing pretty close to the top of their abilities, so I’m fine with it. They are ok. And next year will likely be much worse, so let’s take what we have. 

I do expect the WRs to improve. That could make all the difference. 

This team could run the table heading into the Iron Bowl. I’m not sold on any team in the West at this point. Anybody could beat anybody. We could do quite well, especially if we can win some turnover battles. 

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No you didn't.  You brought up that point to argue for no reason & no one contested it b/c we were talking about the outcome of a specific play that resulted in a 1st down...not hypotheticals/statistical events of 2nd and short

Ok 

🤡

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Agree the OL is what it is. I feel like they are playing pretty close to the top of their abilities, so I’m fine with it. They are ok. And next year will likely be much worse, so let’s take what we have. 

Yeah they are OK is probably the best way to put it. I believe Council and Brahms are two of the worst OL in all of college football by PFF, the other 3 are OK. Next year is terrifying if we don't load up in the portal 

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

do expect the WRs to improve. That could make all the difference

They definitely have the highest upside outside RB...but limited by WB play.

6 minutes ago, cbo said:

This team could run the table heading into the Iron Bowl. I’m not sold on any team in the West at this point. Anybody could beat anybody. We could do quite well, especially if we can win some turnover battles

Yeah the west is wide open. This weekend will tell us a lot

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok 

🤡

I didn't expect an actual answer bc we both know it didn't happen.

Def a clown move. Bro 😺

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 1