If Bo really is turning the corner

aubiefifty

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Bo hasn't turned a corner.

I still don't get what ppl thought they saw VS LSU. It was the same Ole Bo it just actually worked for the first time ever. 

yep. late in the game he evidently thought that if it worked once, may as well keep doing it (automatically bail, regardless of pocket or not)

Oh and I'm the guy that was down voted and ridiculed when I said how much we were going to miss Seth Williams.....

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh and I'm the guy that was down voted and ridiculed when I said how much we were going to miss Seth Williams.....

I think he misses us more. But yeah. 

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think he misses us more. But yeah. 

From what I understand he's on the practice team. I doubt he does

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WarTim said:

Sorry. Can’t hang this L on #10

I agree 100% but I am concerned about our overall offense schemes and play calling. It looks like Malzahn is still in charge, i.e., we are consistently facing 3rd downs which sooner or later is going to kill you. And the plays look like the same old stuff. I'm a little pissed with Harsin/Bobo for leaving Bo in and taking a beating when the game was clearly over.  I think he should have given TJ a chance to play against a good defense.  Bo takes a lot of heat here but the OC has two Bos in his name😀

Edited by Proud Tiger

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

From what I understand he's on the practice team. I doubt he does

Good, I hope so. I didn’t know. 

He ain’t turned no corner. Even Stetson Bennett completed these passes yesterday and Bennett is a future accountant

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 8:51 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Bo is a lot like Johnny football. He runs around and makes desperate throws . Sometimes they work and everyone thinks he is the best in the world but most get dropped or are way off target. I suspect Bo’s future after college won’t include the NFL. 

To be fair, very very few college QBs ever make it to an NFL roster.

17 hours ago, DAG said:

He is what he is. He has glimpses . He definitely won’t be playing at the next level unless it’s a different position . With that being said, I think we can win down the line with him, if the others do a moderate job. To get over the top though, we are going to have to hope TJ or DD really progress. 

DD just needs a real opportunity. That "he's a freshman" tag comes off after this season. Yes, there's plenty of blame to go around but even with a better OL and WRs...Bo is still a big liability against the better teams. It's time to move on after this season. 

• Like 3

On 10/10/2021 at 11:06 AM, alexava said:

I said last week when Bo played well, play TJ a series or 2 every game no matter what.  Bo is very reliably inconsistent. He responded to nearly  losing his job. Keep that pressure on him. Not sold onTJ but he needs actions. 

As I’ve said many times , Bo has all the ability to be a winner. His problem is between his ears. To often he is trying to hard to do it by hisself. People keep talking about drops, but they are far fewer drops when TJ throws. Like the ball that got intercepted , go back and look. Yes it hit Worm in the hands but his hand were back to his shoulders while running sideways. That pass needed to be in front of Worm. That was at best a 50/50 catch also some others were high. To often to hard and not in a good spot. If your going to rip one you better be aiming for the numbers to a receiver that’s facing you. Just a receiver getting a hand in the ball doesn’t make it a great throw. Like with back- shoulder throws that look like a bad throw but are actually put in a place to give the receiver an advantage over the defender. Bo has that accuracy but he must use it and learn to put a little touch on the ball. How fast you can throw doesn’t mean squat, making it catchable does. 

No he is not. It certainly isn't all on Bo, but I think we have seen his ceiling. He simply refuses to throw the ball down the field. I was at the game and he had 5-6 chances to push it down field to open guys and he either didn't look at them or simply didn't throw it. I'll sound like a broken record, but we can't win if we don't throw it down the field. Here is on of the examples form the game: 

The setting. Georgia just scored their second touchdown to go up 17-3. We get the ball back and Hunter gets 8 yards on a run up the middle. On second down we have a pass play called.. The play is a hitch and go at the top of the screen on second and 1.  Bo pumps to the receiver and goes away from him to look at other routes before giving it a chance to come open. Protection is there if the ball comes out on time. Instead he holds the ball, dances, and throws it away. But after the normal release time the O-line ends up with a hold (again it wouldn't have occurred if the ball was thrown on time) and we end up in 3rd and long and punting. This was a TD play and instead we lose 10 yards and punt. This isn't a "drop" or any of the other blame going around. It is a perfect play call, good execution by everyone but Bo: 

pre snap:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.12.54 PM.png

Bo is dropped and beginning his pump as the reciever is beginning his "stop," and the corner is squatting on it with the safety drawn up with play action:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.13.57 PM.png

Bo then looks to another receiver, I presume Robinson who is running a deep route down the other sideline, before the route on the top of the screen comes open (you can see Bo has completed the pump fake, the receiver up top is now sprinting forward while the Corner is still sitting down on the route):

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.19.52 PM.png

Receiver up top now coming wide open, protection is still good and Bo looking at the other side of the field, never gave the play a chance (notice how clean the pocket is and no flag thrown, the UGA defender at the top of the screen is even pointing at where the ball should go as he recognizes what has happened:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.22.03 PM.png

Receiver at the top now has nearly five yards of separation! And again the protection is there:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.23.55 PM.png

Instead Bo holds the ball and starts to scramble and you see the flag starting to be thrown: second and 1 with a TD play turns into 3rd and long and a punt. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.25.35 PM.png

Blame drops or whatever you want, but Bo has to throw this ball and he isn't even looking at the WR. Not even giving the play a chance. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

No he is not. It certainly isn't all on Bo, but I think we have seen his ceiling. He simply refuses to throw the ball down the field. I was at the game and he had 5-6 chances to push it down field to open guys and he either didn't look at them or simply didn't throw it. I'll sound like a broken record, but we can't win if we don't throw it down the field. Here is on of the examples form the game: 

The setting. Georgia just scored their second touchdown to go up 17-3. We get the ball back and Hunter gets 8 yards on a run up the middle. On second down we have a pass play called.. The play is a hitch and go at the top of the screen on second and 1.  Bo pumps to the receiver and goes away from him to look at other routes before giving it a chance to come open. Protection is there if the ball comes out on time. Instead he holds the ball, dances, and throws it away. But after the normal release time the O-line ends up with a hold (again it wouldn't have occurred if the ball was thrown on time) and we end up in 3rd and long and punting. This was a TD play and instead we lose 10 yards and punt. This isn't a "drop" or any of the other blame going around. It is a perfect play call, good execution by everyone but Bo: 

pre snap:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.12.54 PM.png

Bo is dropped and beginning his pump as the reciever is beginning his "stop," and the corner is squatting on it with the safety drawn up with play action:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.13.57 PM.png

Bo then looks to another receiver, I presume Robinson who is running a deep route down the other sideline, before the route on the top of the screen comes open (you can see Bo has completed the pump fake, the receiver up top is now sprinting forward while the Corner is still sitting down on the route):

Receiver up top now coming wide open, protection is still good and Bo looking at the other side of the field, never gave the play a chance (notice how clean the pocket is and no flag thrown, the UGA defender at the top of the screen is even pointing at where the ball should go as he recognizes what has happened:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.22.03 PM.png

Receiver at the top now has nearly five yards of separation! And again the protection is there:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.23.55 PM.png

Instead Bo holds the ball and starts to scramble and you see the flag starting to be thrown: second and 1 with a TD play turns into 3rd and long and a punt. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.25.35 PM.png

Blame drops or whatever you want, but Bo has to throw this ball and he isn't even looking at the WR. Not even giving the play a chance. 

The left side of that line collapses before Bo could see if the receiver came out of his stop. That closed his throwing lane, so he moved on.  The lineman on the left ended up on his a$$ on the ground. Nothing good ever comes of that.

Maybe TJ being taller could have seen the WR  break free. But at the time you think Bo should have thrown the ball, it would have been on faith. Then when the ball was intercepted, or overthrown, you’d be here with another critique. If the line could hold fast a little longer and more consistently, we would see different outcomes. 

Or maybe TJ sees over the line better and can deliver the long ball. I would like to see him get a chance.

Either way, it starts with the line.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

The left side of that line collapses before Bo could see if the receiver came out of his stop. That closed his throwing lane, so he moved on.  The lineman on the left ended up on his a$$ on the ground. Nothing good ever comes of that.

Maybe TJ being taller could have seen the WR  break free. But at the time you think Bo should have thrown the ball, it would have been on faith. Then when the ball was intercepted, or overthrown, you’d be here with another critique. If the line could hold fast a little longer and more consistently, we would see different outcomes. 

Or maybe TJ sees over the line better and can deliver the long ball. I would like to see him get a chance.

The announcers on the broadcast said exactly what @JwgreDeux did. Neuheisel and Murray- who disagreed a few times on other things- both agreed on exactly what he just said. It was there and he didn't take it. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

The left side of that line collapses before Bo could see if the receiver came out of his stop.

That's nonsense.  The WR is out of his break and the DB is standing still.  The ball should be out now

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

I picked one that clearly shows one of his BIG issues. He consistently doesn't throw ball on time when the protection is ok. My point is that is the symptom that is related to many of our offensive woes. I could be wrong, I'm not paid millions to coach football.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

That's nonsense.  The WR is out of his break and the DB is standing still.  The ball should be out now

And the passing lane has collapsed. Bo could not see at that point. You got the lineman right in his line of site stood straight up.

Bo should have shifted and changed lanes, but he chose to continue with his progressions. That caused him to miss an open guy. It’s not that he saw the guy and chose not to throw long. That can be coached. People are acting like Bo refused to throw long. Regardless, if you hang the game in one non-throw, you are reaching. 
This looked to be an all or nothing play. There is no short route at all. If that’s the case, as soon as Bo could not see the play, it was over. 

6 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I picked one that clearly shows one of his BIG issues. He consistently doesn't throw ball on time when the protection is ok. My point is that is the symptom that is related to many of our offensive woes. I could be wrong, I'm not paid millions to coach football.

As I stated in another thread, I don’t think Bo can see over the line. His one nice throw to the middle was when the line parted the middle so he could see clearly. It was a thing of beauty, never to be seen again.

Maybe this is known and is why we throw so many out routes.

Edited by CCTAU

Here is another play for example. Setting is our last possession before the half (the previous drive Bo stayed in the pocket and delivered a beautiful ball to Jackson on third down that he absolutely dropped). Bo scrambled and threw the ball away on first down and we are in second and 10 from our own 25. 

Bo drops back and surveys the field. No one breaks open for any big play, and the protection is good and UGA drops into coverage (i'm going to show you this same play from an angle from behind the qb to better show what the pocket actually looks like)

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.56.34 PM.png

Bo pulls it down and throws at Shivers releasing out of the backfield (he's releasing because the protection is fine). 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.58.42 PM.png

The ball hits Shivers in the back and fortunately falls harmlessly to the turf (it is hard to see, the ball is the white blur inside the AU graphic just past the 20 yard line):

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.00.16 PM.png

Now here is the look from behind, at the snap Bo looks left as UGA rushes 4 and drops into coverage (Shivers looks for his assignment on protection to see if he needs to help):

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.02.10 PM.png

Bo doesn't like what he sees on the left some he looks back right as Shivers releases out to the right (coverage is tight by UGA):

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.03.20 PM.png

Bo starts to pull the ball down and scramble right while the crossing route breaks (again the protection is nearly perfect as UGA has dropped and only brough 4 with one jumping in the air at this point):

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.07.12 PM.png

As the crossing/dig route opens (given it is a tight window), Bo scrambles out of a still intact pocket:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.08.43 PM.png

And then he delivers a bullet to an uncatchable location for Shivers (it is hard to see, but the ball is hitting Shivers in the back of the arm/left side in the screen grab, with defenders bearing down on him, notice the still intact pocket): 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.10.26 PM.png

On the next down, 3rd and 10 Bo stood in the pocket and delivered a nice ball to the TE for a big first down. So I'm not saying he never stands and delivers on time, just that he if very inconsistent at it and it is not always due to pressure from a bad line: Here is his good play: 

As the pocket starts to break down, Bo does not leave it, he steps straight up into it and delivers a strike: 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.14.28 PM.png

Notice he stepped up from the 22 1/2 half yard line up to the 20 to deliver the ball:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.16.14 PM.png

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

And the passing lane has collapsed. Bo could not see at that point. You got the lineman right in his line of site stood straight up.

Bo should have shifted and changed lanes, but he chose to continue with his progressions. That caused him to miss an open guy. It’s not that he saw the guy and chose not to throw long. That can be coached. People are acting like Bo refused to throw long. Regardless, if you hang the game in one non-throw, you are reaching. 
This looked to be an all or nothing play. There is no short route at all. If that’s the case, as soon as Bo could not see the play, it was over. 

So what does all the other qb's 6'3" and under do?

To what I have said about his scrambling not allowing us to get in rhythm, after he steps up to hit the TE here, Bo had a 4 or five play sequence of quality plays. He hit Hudson twice on short drops with quick releases and then threw a beautiful back shoulder ball that Robinson absolutely dropped. It was a really nice throw. So I want to be clear, I'm not trashing Bo. I'm just saying I think he is too inconsistent for us to beat top teams and we may have already seen his ceiling. 

• Like 1

Just now, JwgreDeux said:

To what I have said about his scrambling not allowing us to get in rhythm, after he steps up to hit the TE here, Bo had a 4 or five play sequence of quality plays. He hit Hudson twice on short drops with quick releases and then threw a beautiful back shoulder ball that Robinson absolutely dropped. It was a really nice throw. So I want to be clear, I'm not trashing Bo. I'm just saying I think he is too inconsistent for us to beat top teams and we may have already seen his ceiling. 

I will also say that following that drop, Bo scrambled out to his left and hit Robinson for a great play down to the 7 yard line to give us a chance to get some points before the half. 

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So what does all the other qb's 6'3" and under do?

They crawl into a ball and tremble.

I plainly stated he needed to shift and find another lane. He does seem to be very good at it. Or maybe some of those others have a line that stays lower. There are many reasons as to why this happens. Seems Bo has developed a tendency to scramble so he can see better. 

• Like 1

Once down to the 7, after 5 really nice plays on Bo's part, he completely comes apart. 

1st down he hits the UGA defender in the chest with the ball in the endzone, he drops it thankfully. Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.32.39 PM.png

On second down, he rolls on a designed roll out to the left, and when nothing is there he scrambles around, all the way back to the 32 yard line before throwing it away! thats 25 yards backwards: 

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.35.00 PM.png

Third down, Bo goes to the outlet receiver, Shivers out of the back field and Shivers couldn't catch a bullet that what put on him. (even if he did catch it he was being immediately hit for very little gain):

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.38.41 PM.png

Fourth down: 

With great protection, Bo throws to the back of the endzone on the call that is getting all the attention for what should have been PI: However, if the ball is out in front of the receiver it is a TD, as the ball was clearly thrown behind Capers:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.43.07 PM.png

Clean pocket as Bo throws, Capers has a step and you see the ball delivered on time (in the pic below the ball is hard to see but it is next to the far end zone right upright);

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.44.14 PM.png

When the ball gets to Capers you can see he's had to slow down just a bit.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.46.35 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/10/2021 at 2:15 PM, Proud Tiger said:

I agree 100% but I am concerned about our overall offense schemes and play calling. It looks like Malzahn is still in charge, i.e., we are consistently facing 3rd downs which sooner or later is going to kill you. And the plays look like the same old stuff. I'm a little pissed with Harsin/Bobo for leaving Bo in and taking a beating when the game was clearly over.  I think he should have given TJ a chance to play against a good defense.  Bo takes a lot of heat here but the OC has two Bos in his name😀

you are right i believe proud. bo was seen limping around on the sideline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

So you think Bo is the reason we can't beat a top ten team? I would like to see some pics focusing on the routes the receivers are running to give Bo a chance for quick throws other than the quick wideouts which are usually a wasted play. As they say, it takes two to tango and I don't see our receivers running routes like some other top ten teams.

i would also ask why in the sequence Hunter runs for 8 1/2 on first down, we throw two straight passes. Seems the odds are better for two running plays with the backs we have. That points to questionable play calling. doesn't it?

Edited by Proud Tiger