If Bo really is turning the corner

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

If Bo Nix really is turning the corner, well, Georgia will tell us everything we need to know about that

Connor O'Gara | 23 hours ago
6-8 minutes

Two things can be true at the same time.

One is that up until this past Saturday, it was perfectly fair to think that Bo Nix’s chances of being one of the league’s top starting quarterbacks had passed. Somewhere between watching the panicked true freshman who insisted on unnecessarily throwing on the run and the Chad Morris experience, it was natural to bail on Nix living up to that 5-star hype.

The other thing that can also be true is that what Nix did in Death Valley was special. Like, more special than beating Alabama (with the aid of 2 pick-sixes from the Auburn defense) or beating Oregon at a neutral site (with the aid of Auburn’s defense shutting down Justin Herbert). Nix did his best Johnny Manziel imitation and led Auburn to its first win at LSU since 1999.

So if both of those things are true, what are we to expect of Nix moving forward? Has he turned the corner? Or was LSU an out-of-body experience?

We don’t have an answer to that question. We do, however, know that if Nix comes out against Georgia and looks more LSU than, um, Georgia State, then, yeah, he may have indeed turned the corner.

It’s sort of like how if you’re trying to diet, the ultimate test is when you know you’re gonna drive past your favorite fast food restaurant on your way home from work. If you are indeed committed to the diet, you’ll keep driving. If you’re not, you’ll find yourself in the drive-thru ordering a double bacon cheeseburger and fries.

On Saturday, Nix is going to do his best to not take a sharp left turn into the drive-thru.

Old habits die hard. If there’s anyone who can force Nix into his old habits, it’s this Georgia defense, which has allowed 1 offensive touchdown all year. As in, the Georgia defense who has yet to allow an offensive touchdown this season with the first-teamers are on the field (South Carolina scored down 40-6 in the 4th quarter).

As in, the Georgia defense who had Nix’s number in every way the last 2 years.

With the exception of that 4th quarter rally 2 years ago in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry, Nix has been extremely limited against the Dawgs. In those 2 games, Nix:

• A) Averaged 4.7 yards per pass attempt
  • B) Led his team to an average of 10 points
  • C) Had 0 pass plays of 30 yards
  • D) Was responsible for 2 touchdowns
  • E) All the above

It’s “E.” It’s always “E.”

You can blame the system or the offensive line if you want. Or you can acknowledge that while those elements didn’t exactly help Nix against Kirby Smart’s defense, his decision-making needed to be much better to win against a team of Georgia’s caliber.

It’s not really a debate as to whether Nix will have to improvise against Georgia. It’s just about the decisions he makes when he does.

This all-time play, which only few people in college football are physically capable of, will surely be shown during Saturday’s broadcast:

Not to take anything away from that play, but Georgia’s defense doesn’t ever have 6 guys whiff on a quarterback. Jordan Davis is built differently than anyone on the LSU roster. Shoot, he’s built differently than anyone in college football. Nix said that Auburn couldn’t really simulate Davis because “there’s not many 6-6, 350-pound guys walking around.”

He’s not wrong about that. There aren’t many guys like Nakobe Dean walking around, either. Ask KJ Jefferson about that.

Dean and Quay Walker were Pro Football Focus’ highest-graded linebackers in America in Week 5. That was against a respected Arkansas offensive line, too. Like, a Sam Pittman-coached offensive line.

Auburn, on the other hand, has had some issues up front. Nix was a wizard against LSU, but would he have needed magical abilities all night had the protection held? I mean, @SEC_StatCat had Nix charted for 13 broken tackles on plays outside of structure against LSU. Has Georgia missed 13 tackles all season?

Also, Georgia State and Georgia might partially share a name, but you won’t be confusing their defensive lines anytime soon. The former, in case you forgot, gave the Tigers front everything it could handle. Shoot, even TJ Finley’s miraculous play to win it came after protection broke down.

Look. Nobody is breaking any news here by saying that Auburn’s offensive line is going to have to play the game of its life to have a chance against Georgia. Even the most loyal Nix supporters can admit that if that doesn’t happen, he really doesn’t stand much of a chance to — dare I say — score multiple touchdowns against the Georgia defense.

Forget scoring 2 touchdowns. UGA’s defense hasn’t allowed a point in its last 26 possessions. According to The Athletic, it has a stop rate of 93%.

Go figure that Nix is facing the best defense of his career just a week removed from the best performance of his career. Ironic, to say the least.

How else would this go? Rece Davis called Nix’s career a ride at the carnival. As in, not in a good way. He’s part of the traveling carnival. The one that can break down at a moment’s notice or provide the ultimate thrill. You never really know what you’re gonna get.

Most people outside of Auburn might think they know what they’re gonna get from Nix against Georgia on Saturday. Maybe the ride will break down and Nix will continue to be exactly what Davis (and others) described him as. Or perhaps more exhilarating times await.

Whatever the case, Nix is nearing his favorite restaurant; time will tell if he walks out of Jordan-Hare with an armful of burgers and fries.

27 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Bo has had really good games before.  Consistency is the next step.  Just my 2 cents.

True, to move forward must run the offense.

Sorry. Can’t hang this L on #10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WarTim said:

Sorry. Can’t hang this L on #10

Agreed, but probably best for both parties to go in a different direction imo. Not a fit for a Bobo offense, and the current personnel isn't helping him. Bo deserves a chance to win and show out. I'd advise him to try and transfer to a system that fits him better and show out for scouts. Let TJ gel with the young receivers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bo is a drive killer. He makes some good plays and then runs backwards for 30 yards. Im sick and tired of his unwillingness to step up into the pocket like every other qb.  Bo is an average qb. We will always have an average team with him as a qb. And average isn't good enough

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, shabby said:

Bo is a drive killer. He makes some good plays and then runs backwards for 30 yards. Im sick and tired of his unwillingness to step up into the pocket like every other qb.  Bo is an average qb. We will always have an average team with him as a qb. And average isn't good enough

Hell yeah. Step up into the pocket and take that sack like a man! Kill that drive the “right” way!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, CCTAU said:

Hell yeah. Step up into the pocket and take that sack like a man! Kill that drive the “right” way!

When you step 8nto the pocket sometimes you side step the aggressive blits. And if you don't you don't take a 15 yard sack. If you are actually advocating running from the pocket everytime pressure is applied then you are worthy of the Mike Bobo some kinda special award

Just now, CCTAU said:

Dude got called out multiple times by the ex QB announcers for leaving the pocket too early or just looking away from the receiver before the double move was done. WRs have to play better, OL has to play better, and Bo Nix HAS gotta learn some sort of pocket presence. You're not gonna get a clean pocket every play. 3rd year starting SEC QBs should be able to step up in the pocket to avoid pressure and make throws without bailing out. When he does that he puts the OL in even more of a bind. The WRs then have to break off their routes and just try to get open with the scrambling QB.

He was very lucky to not be sacked for 20 yards on and knock us even further out of scoring range.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, shabby said:

When you step 8nto the pocket sometimes you side step the aggressive blits. And if you don't you don't take a 15 yard sack. If you are actually advocating running from the pocket everytime pressure is applied then you are worthy of the Mike Bobo some kinda special award

When the pocket collapses so frequently, it’s difficult to sit back and armchair QB.

• Like 2

He had issues going through his progressions and he did make a few dubious decisions especially early.  

But, yeah, his receivers had drops and his OL didn't help him. 

And, well, time to say it, the opponent was a lot more talented.  

I still kind of wonder what could've been if JJ had hired  Smart over Gus. 

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

Dude got called out multiple times by the ex QB announcers for leaving the pocket too early or just looking away from the receiver before the double move was done. WRs have to play better, OL has to play better, and Bo Nix HAS gotta learn some sort of pocket presence. You're not gonna get a clean pocket every play. 3rd year starting SEC QBs should be able to step up in the pocket to avoid pressure and make throws without bailing out. When he does that he puts the OL in even more of a bind. The WRs then have to break off their routes and just try to get open with the scrambling QB.

He was very lucky to not be sacked for 20 yards on and knock us even further out of scoring range.

It’s easy to see from up above, but not as easy to see when you are on the field and  that side of the pocket collapses. So you agreed with them when they said the play in the end zone that should have been PI was good defense?

I would have loved for Bo to see the open guy. But he didn’t. It would not have helped to step up into a collapsing pocket on that side. 

I wanted to see TJ get a couple of series to see if he could see over a line that was getting stood straight up. 
I truly think Bo cannot see over the line.

9 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
saturdaydownsouth.com

If Bo Nix really is turning the corner, well, Georgia will tell us everything we need to know about that

Connor O'Gara | 23 hours ago
6-8 minutes

Two things can be true at the same time.

One is that up until this past Saturday, it was perfectly fair to think that Bo Nix’s chances of being one of the league’s top starting quarterbacks had passed. Somewhere between watching the panicked true freshman who insisted on unnecessarily throwing on the run and the Chad Morris experience, it was natural to bail on Nix living up to that 5-star hype.

The other thing that can also be true is that what Nix did in Death Valley was special. Like, more special than beating Alabama (with the aid of 2 pick-sixes from the Auburn defense) or beating Oregon at a neutral site (with the aid of Auburn’s defense shutting down Justin Herbert). Nix did his best Johnny Manziel imitation and led Auburn to its first win at LSU since 1999.

So if both of those things are true, what are we to expect of Nix moving forward? Has he turned the corner? Or was LSU an out-of-body experience?

We don’t have an answer to that question. We do, however, know that if Nix comes out against Georgia and looks more LSU than, um, Georgia State, then, yeah, he may have indeed turned the corner.

It’s sort of like how if you’re trying to diet, the ultimate test is when you know you’re gonna drive past your favorite fast food restaurant on your way home from work. If you are indeed committed to the diet, you’ll keep driving. If you’re not, you’ll find yourself in the drive-thru ordering a double bacon cheeseburger and fries.

On Saturday, Nix is going to do his best to not take a sharp left turn into the drive-thru.

Old habits die hard. If there’s anyone who can force Nix into his old habits, it’s this Georgia defense, which has allowed 1 offensive touchdown all year. As in, the Georgia defense who has yet to allow an offensive touchdown this season with the first-teamers are on the field (South Carolina scored down 40-6 in the 4th quarter).

As in, the Georgia defense who had Nix’s number in every way the last 2 years.

With the exception of that 4th quarter rally 2 years ago in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry, Nix has been extremely limited against the Dawgs. In those 2 games, Nix:

• A) Averaged 4.7 yards per pass attempt
  • B) Led his team to an average of 10 points
  • C) Had 0 pass plays of 30 yards
  • D) Was responsible for 2 touchdowns
  • E) All the above

It’s “E.” It’s always “E.”

You can blame the system or the offensive line if you want. Or you can acknowledge that while those elements didn’t exactly help Nix against Kirby Smart’s defense, his decision-making needed to be much better to win against a team of Georgia’s caliber.

It’s not really a debate as to whether Nix will have to improvise against Georgia. It’s just about the decisions he makes when he does.

This all-time play, which only few people in college football are physically capable of, will surely be shown during Saturday’s broadcast:

Not to take anything away from that play, but Georgia’s defense doesn’t ever have 6 guys whiff on a quarterback. Jordan Davis is built differently than anyone on the LSU roster. Shoot, he’s built differently than anyone in college football. Nix said that Auburn couldn’t really simulate Davis because “there’s not many 6-6, 350-pound guys walking around.”

He’s not wrong about that. There aren’t many guys like Nakobe Dean walking around, either. Ask KJ Jefferson about that.

Dean and Quay Walker were Pro Football Focus’ highest-graded linebackers in America in Week 5. That was against a respected Arkansas offensive line, too. Like, a Sam Pittman-coached offensive line.

Auburn, on the other hand, has had some issues up front. Nix was a wizard against LSU, but would he have needed magical abilities all night had the protection held? I mean, @SEC_StatCat had Nix charted for 13 broken tackles on plays outside of structure against LSU. Has Georgia missed 13 tackles all season?

Also, Georgia State and Georgia might partially share a name, but you won’t be confusing their defensive lines anytime soon. The former, in case you forgot, gave the Tigers front everything it could handle. Shoot, even TJ Finley’s miraculous play to win it came after protection broke down.

Look. Nobody is breaking any news here by saying that Auburn’s offensive line is going to have to play the game of its life to have a chance against Georgia. Even the most loyal Nix supporters can admit that if that doesn’t happen, he really doesn’t stand much of a chance to — dare I say — score multiple touchdowns against the Georgia defense.

Forget scoring 2 touchdowns. UGA’s defense hasn’t allowed a point in its last 26 possessions. According to The Athletic, it has a stop rate of 93%.

Go figure that Nix is facing the best defense of his career just a week removed from the best performance of his career. Ironic, to say the least.

How else would this go? Rece Davis called Nix’s career a ride at the carnival. As in, not in a good way. He’s part of the traveling carnival. The one that can break down at a moment’s notice or provide the ultimate thrill. You never really know what you’re gonna get.

Most people outside of Auburn might think they know what they’re gonna get from Nix against Georgia on Saturday. Maybe the ride will break down and Nix will continue to be exactly what Davis (and others) described him as. Or perhaps more exhilarating times await.

Whatever the case, Nix is nearing his favorite restaurant; time will tell if he walks out of Jordan-Hare with an armful of burgers and fries.

Bo is a lot like Johnny football. He runs around and makes desperate throws . Sometimes they work and everyone thinks he is the best in the world but most get dropped or are way off target. I suspect Bo’s future after college won’t include the NFL. 

Edited by Eagle Eye 7
  • Like 3

i was high on bo after the lsu game but i knew this was coming. i think tj should have gotten more playing time. and while bo is doing the jekyll and hyde thing who knows? bo played good early and then got erratic to me.i do not think he has a chance of going pro this year. so maybe if he comes back another year might help? and i think they should get tj playing a little more to put pressure on him. but i am not going to sit here and pretend i know everything at all. but if you think you are not going to get it done why not let the backup have a few plays when it means something? see if the team rallies around him. the drops we had in this game are alarming and we need to do something quick or they will just key off on our run game per usual and kill us. this is a long winded way to say it appears the receivers are more comfortable with a tj ball. again i am not a coach but it appears that way. also with the style bo plays i am surprised he has not gotten hurt yet. he has taken some shots.

• Like 1

We all know what nix is at this point. Everyone was thrilled with the win in red stick last weekend, but that was a slopfest. It was a win but it didn’t feel good because almost none of it was “planned”. 

we better start playing Finley some or he’ll be gone.

6 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

We all know what nix is at this point. Everyone was thrilled with the win in red stick last weekend, but that was a slopfest. It was a win but it didn’t feel good because almost none of it was “planned”. 

we better start playing Finley some or he’ll be gone.

I respect BH to make the best decision on who should play every position, including QB.

• Like 1

Bo is never going to turn a the corner. One week it will be good Bo…the next will be bad Bo. That’s who he is and who our last coach was. I knew this year would be ups and downs but I was hoping for progress each week. This need to be the last year for Bo. Either fix the OL for TJ or let the DD era begin and find some new WRs that can catch! 

Bo is just too much of a risk to depend on. And Harsin needs to have a serious talk with Mason! Hold him to the same high standard!

I don't think he'll ever be a superstar, or even someone that you can say is a top tier SEC QB, but I don't think most of this game was his fault.

It is really questionable why he doesn't have the ability to step up in the pocket. Like that contorting IS his version of maneuvering with pressure. That just doesn't seem like something even a HS coach would teach you to do, does it? 

If they lose again (bc with Bama looking as shaky as they do, the SECW still is theoretically wide open), I'd like to see some more Finley and Davis. I have to think with how many convos have been had with this Holden guy, it's a matter of when and not if. I think Finley was made some promises, as many contested recruits at positions of need are, in every sport. I don't think "I was here before you" is going to matter next season. Bo still can win it and it be done rightfully so, but I really have a feeling this coaching staff wants their own guy 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

but I really have a feeling this coaching staff wants their own guy

Finley is their guy, right?  They are the ones that recruited him here. So if what you say here is accurate then Finley must not be believed to be the right guy. I personally hope he gets a few series in the next game to see how it goes. Maybe his softer touch on the ball helps the receivers improve faster. I’d try anything at this point. We aren’t playing for it all this year regardless. Best to find out all we can as early as possible. 

Pretty sure they got Finley for depth and competition for nix, not that he was “the” guy for harsin’s offense, but I’m sure people more in the know can correct me.

4 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Finley is their guy, right?  They are the ones that recruited him here. So if what you say here is accurate then Finley must not be believed to be the right guy. I personally hope he gets a few series in the next game to see how it goes. Maybe his softer touch on the ball helps the receivers improve faster. I’d try anything at this point. We aren’t playing for it all this year regardless. Best to find out all we can as early as possible. 

All I said is they want their own guy brother

Bo wasn’t the problem yesterday.  We don’t have a lineman on either side of the ball that could play for Georgia. We don’t have a receiver that could play for Georgia.  In fact the best one we have transferred to us from them because he knew he wasn’t going to get playing time.  When you are outmanned in the trenches and your receivers can’t hang onto balls that hit them right in the hands the final result is predictable.  That is why nobody, even those of us wearing orange and blue glasses, predicted a win yesterday.  

• Thanks 2

He is what he is. He has glimpses . He definitely won’t be playing at the next level unless it’s a different position . With that being said, I think we can win down the line with him, if the others do a moderate job. To get over the top though, we are going to have to hope TJ or DD really progress. 

• Like 2