NCAA approves 1-year increase in recruiting class size

aubiefifty

NCAA approves 1-year increase in recruiting class size

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com
1-2 minutes

The NCAA Division I Council has approved a one-year waiver to the annual signing limit for football recruiting classes, allowing schools to replace up to seven scholarship players who transferred after the fall semester.

Schools are typically limited to 25 “initial counters” for a given recruiting class. For the 2022 class, they will be allowed to sign up to 32, provided they have lost at least seven transfers.

“We believe schools should have temporary flexibility to help address possible roster depletion due to transfers,” said NCAA Football Oversight Committee chair Nancy Barbour, also athletics director at Penn State. “This one-year waiver enables schools to properly utilize their scholarship limitations.”

The waiver is valid only for the 2022 class, though the NCAA will consider “a more permanent solution … in the coming months.” The overall football scholarship limit remains at 85 in the FBS and 63 for the FCS.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Process 7 players and replace them with 7 OL

harsin and company have some studs they are trying to snatch on oline. usually al.com has an article on how our recruits who commited or who want want do every single week.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

harsin and company have some studs they are trying to snatch on oline.

I'm not sure what al.com is saying but we only have 2-3 current legit OL prospects and at best 1 is an immediate contributor 

• Like 2

I think that this rule may help us.  Like others have said, some players will transfer out and we can make it known that we desperately need OL (anyone paying attention already knows), and hopefully get 3-4 or more good OL through the transfer portal.   This would be HUGE for our potential in the 2022 season!!!!

• Like 1

I apologize if this question is common sense. I am unsure of NCAA transfer rules. Can a team pick up players mid-season from the transfer portal? Or, is the portal only to be utilized between seasons for full season play? Therefore, would there be potential for Auburn to pick up experienced players mid-season? 

Is that if schools had lost 7 transfers coming into 2021? Or losing 7 to the portal at the conclusion of the 2021 season?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AU_Canoe said:

I apologize if this question is common sense. I am unsure of NCAA transfer rules. Can a team pick up players mid-season from the transfer portal? Or, is the portal only to be utilized between seasons for full season play? Therefore, would there be potential for Auburn to pick up experienced players mid-season? 

There are cut offs to enter portal and to start at new school. Pretty sure mid-season transfer is not possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Awesome. As others have said:
We. Need. Offensive. Linemen. 

I think you guys don't remember what Saban did to us when we were desperate for LB's. He just recruited one after another and left them on the bench or processed them, schollie numbers disregarded. I'd guess he will now do the same on OL, especially now that he has headroom for 7 more. We lost at least one of the games early in his tenure thanks to lack of one more quality LB when we had injuries. 

• Like 2

We have the least commits of any SEC team. I know it's the first year, we are being patient, saving room for transfers, etc. But with this news, it's time to crank it up and bring some guys in. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cbo said:

We have the least commits of any SEC team. I know it's the first year, we are being patient, saving room for transfers, etc. But with this news, it's time to crank it up and bring some guys in. 

A win over the mutts would go a long way in cranking it up to be sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

I think you guys don't remember what Saban did to us when we were desperate for LB's. He just recruited one after another and left them on the bench or processed them, schollie numbers disregarded. I'd guess he will now do the same on OL, especially now that he has headroom for 7 more. We lost at least one of the games early in his tenure thanks to lack of one more quality LB when we had injuries. 

Sadly Saban has moved on from us.  We are not much of a threat on or off the field right now.  Hope that changes soon.   

• Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
6 hours ago, shabby said:

The way recruiting has been going will we even fill the traditional number? 😧

We have over 20 4/5 stars visiting this weekend alone (22 last I saw and it’s probably gone up since then)

On 10/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, TigerHorn said:

He only gets 7 if he lost 7 correct?

On 10/7/2021 at 4:45 PM, casatiger said:

Sadly Saban has moved on from us.  We are not much of a threat on or off the field right now.  Hope that changes soon.   

IDK about that. He has certainly expressed his personal hate for us more than once to the bammer team. 

Guest MustardSeed
33 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

IDK about that. He has certainly expressed his personal hate for us more than once to the bammer team. 

Of course he has. He lost to a team coached by Gus multiple times. He’s got to hate that pretty badly

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

We’ve officially hit FORTY 4/5 stars for this weekend!  This weekend just became HUGE

4AD7D415-1150-414E-8E31-29E811CC1015.jpeg

Is that a lot? What's our normal number?

On 10/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, TigerHorn said:

I expressed this concern before. We have lost recruits to other programs where they played little or much later than they would have at Auburn.  This rule could hurt us as well as help us. Selling the program development and the NIL *really* important this cycle 

Edited by fredst